Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby sewey76 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:55 am

I think it makes perfect sense. He's made a good living at Maine compared to wage earners in general. Now he gets to do what he enjoys without the pressure and likely at a very good salary. He's a good coach and the biggest adjustment will be coaching where academics are the priority. Wish he were going to Bowdoin though.
sewey76

Postby thebam » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 am

Blackbear27 wrote:- Maine football isn't dropping to a lower conference.
Competitive every year, makes a good chunk of money to support athletics with a guarantee game every year, etc.

- DIII? Yes, extremely dumb contention.

- One guarantee game annually is enough.

Does it help to play those games? Of course it does, in a big way financially. And, it helps to occasionally play against better talent.

Sorry, blackbear27, but you do sound, as thebam says, "clueless" on these issues.

Ok maine19fan some new blood in the forum I am familair with thebam he can say what he wants, he is a dummy and a half. Several years ago before Cosgrove signed his final football contract that there was serious talks about dropping to one of the lower FCS conferences I think it was the NorthEast Conference and talks of eliminating scholarships. No of course you did not know that and either did thebambam. Cosgrove refused to sign a contract with those type of negotiations on the table and helped keep Maine in the conference. Each year Maine football is asked to do more and more with less and less. Maine19fan pay attention I am the only one that is generally correct on any football issues. For thebam you already admitted you played in the band

More made up crap. Not that there is anything wrong with it, because I know several very intelligent and driven individuals who were in a college band, but your false assertion that I said I was, is more made up garbage by you.
thebam

Postby thebam » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:20 am

Blackbear27 wrote:Cosgrove leaves Maine. Is U Maine Football falling apart.

Back to the original nonsense. In a word , or 2, hell no you I D 10 T. How would any sane person make a connection between an Associate AD taking a new job and the football program falling apart? Dumb. The football program has a dynamic young QB leading the charge. They were just a handful of plays away this season from being a playoff team in the toughest conference in FCS. On what planet would you find any evidence that the program is potentially falling apart because an Assoc. AD left Maine?
thebam

Postby Maine19Fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:47 am

Well said, thebam!
Maine19Fan

Postby mainejeff » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Yeah, this whole Cosgrove thing has been a bit bizarre. Honestly, if I hadn't seen him partying it up in the UM tailgate this season....I would have forgot that he was even still associated with the athletic dept.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Looks like Jack will be making a 124 mile round trip from Bangor to Colby College in Waterville. instead of the 18 mile trip from Bangor to Orono. Wonder if he gets mileage? He just lives a half a mile from me in Bangor's Eastside.

Question? Is he only coaching football and doing nothing else in athletic department at Colby?
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm sure that Cosgrove will move to the Waterville area. Colby will find him a pretty little house on Mayflower Hill Drive. ;)

Isn't he from Massachusetts? Why would he have ties to Bangor?
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 pm

mainejeff wrote:I'm sure that Cosgrove will move to the Waterville area. Colby will find him a pretty little house on Mayflower Hill Drive. ;)

Isn't he from Massachusetts? Why would he have ties to Bangor?

MJ: He bought a nice home on Mt. Hope Avenue in Bangor several years ago which is in one of the better locations in Bangor. Close to Bangor Mall, Interstate 95, Eastern Maine Hospital, Elementary and middle school, etc. I think Jack considers himself a Mainer being in the greater Bangor and Orono area for yeas after being here most of his adult life. I am not so sure he will move to Waterville because of his family.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:41 am

Bcbc55 knows where Jack lives ... Stalker alert!!!
Maine19Fan

Cosgrove and Colby a welcome combo

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 am

The Hot Corner: Cosgrove and Colby a welcome combo

...The Black Bears made not one, not two, but five appearances in the FCS playoffs. Maine even won three first-round games while competing against schools that were merely buying time before making the often ill-conceived leap to an FBS conference.

Three times, Cosgrove’s team won or shared the regular-season title of an Atlantic 10/Colonial Athletic Conference in which it had zero business competing. Maine was surrounded by programs – James Madison, Richmond, Villanova, even dastardly UNH – with championship pedigrees. Not to mention better weather, superior facilities, and infinitely more bells and whistles.

Countless individual players under Cosgrove’s tutelage channeled the program’s knack for the whole exceeding the sum of the parts, parlaying low-round draft picks or free-agent training camp invitations into meaningful National Football League careers.

All this unfolded while the big-picture athletic program at Maine was in the midst of an avalanche toward mediocrity.

http://www.sunjournal.com/the-hot-corne ... ome-combo/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics