Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Didn't Florida State have to pay Maine a ton of money when they had to back out of the season opening game several years ago? I think they were paying $450,000 as a guarantee amount but it got cancelled when ESPN moved the Miami vs FSU game to that Labor Day weekend. I can't remember how that all turned out. Anybody?
parquetfloor

Postby Blackbear27 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 pm

- Maine football isn't dropping to a lower conference.
Competitive every year, makes a good chunk of money to support athletics with a guarantee game every year, etc.

- DIII? Yes, extremely dumb contention.

- One guarantee game annually is enough.

Does it help to play those games? Of course it does, in a big way financially. And, it helps to occasionally play against better talent.

Sorry, blackbear27, but you do sound, as thebam says, "clueless" on these issues.

Ok maine19fan some new blood in the forum I am familair with thebam he can say what he wants, he is a dummy and a half. Several years ago before Cosgrove signed his final football contract that there was serious talks about dropping to one of the lower FCS conferences I think it was the NorthEast Conference and talks of eliminating scholarships. No of course you did not know that and either did thebambam. Cosgrove refused to sign a contract with those type of negotiations on the table and helped keep Maine in the conference. Each year Maine football is asked to do more and more with less and less. Maine19fan pay attention I am the only one that is generally correct on any football issues. For thebam you already admitted you played in the band
Blackbear27

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Blackbear27 wrote:Several years ago before Cosgrove signed his final football contract that there was serious talks about dropping to one of the lower FCS conferences I think it was the NorthEast Conference and talks of eliminating scholarships. No of course you did not know that and either did thebambam. Cosgrove refused to sign a contract with those type of negotiations on the table and helped keep Maine in the conference. Each year Maine football is asked to do more and more with less and less. Maine19fan pay attention I am the only one that is generally correct on any football issues. For thebam you already admitted you played in the band

During that time, Maine was looking at a lot of different things. I mean, the Atlantic-10 was no longer sponsoring football so it was going to be moved to the CAA, which meant different travel arrangements among other things, Northeastern was dropping its' football program and there was a lot of discussion surrounding a move to non-scholarship football, which the Patriot League was. They are now partial scholarship (I think they offer 40 or 45 scholarships compared to the 63 for fully funded teams).

IMO, Maine was doing their due diligence and trying to figure out where they fit among all these change that were going on.
parquetfloor

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Wow!
You must be the only person who 'knows" all of that.
I know some people with Maine connections, too. Doesn't matter if i'm 'new blood'.

Any talks about dropping to the NEC weren't serious.
Maine administrators like the CAA, the notoriety, the fact that it plays games in areas in which it draws applications from, etc.
To do so, it plays one or two guarantee games every every year.
The primary expense for the football program is related to scholarships.
Did you know that NEC schools can award a maximum of 45 scholarships?
And, that the majority of NEC programs also award need-based aid, basically giving out up to 60 scholarships annually?
Not that great a difference from CAA.

Would there be a lot of money saved by a drop to, say, DIII? It's still an expensive sport even at that level.

But, there was never ... NEVER ... any discussions about dropping down to DIII.

What the heck, let's just drop football altogether.
For that matter, since all UMaine sports lose money, let's just disband the entire athletic program, right?

Don't worry about me paying attention. I've been around college sports most of my adult life.
I'd say thebam has a decent handle on this, too.

The big schools play "down" non-league games because the league games in the SEC, for instance, are so tough. Bad analogy.

2 FBS, as long as they're not against the Alabamas, Georgias, Texas of the world, aren't as bad as you describe.

This isn't a pissing match about who played football, and who didn't.
Need an example? bcbc55 coached basketball for 30 years, or so, and he doesn't have a clue about college hoops.
Maine19Fan

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:07 pm

What thebam said ...

If anything, Maine was looking to see where there might be a better fit.
There wasn't.
It certainly wasn't the NEC, and it certainly wasn't DIII.
Maine19Fan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 pm

Unread postby Maine19Fan » 29 Dec 2017 14:29

Was Cosgrove still making $200K the past two years? I don't know, just asking.

But, I believe his position was directly related to fund-raising. His salary was only "dead weight" if he wasn't bringing in more funding than he was getting paid.

Basketball_guy won't be happy that Maine is losing a fund-raiser!

Yes, Colby is a private institution and has big-time alums with deep pockets. It would be interesting to see that school's endowment and as it compares to Maine. I'm sure it's available on line ... just not going to look it up right now, still on the first cup of coffee.

And, they don't have to answer to Bob Cim? You mean I'm not the only one who tends to be critical of bcbc55? I thought everyone in Maine had to answer to Bob Cim!

We'll agree on something else: Maine needs to find more money to pay a men's basketball coach when/if the position becomes open at the end of the season.
Its current salary isn't going to attract a very deep pool of candidates.

There are a lot of other issues that need solving to turn around the Maine men's basketball fortunes. But, why not solve one by doubling the coach's salary level and attract some quality candidates? The coach's salary -- head coach and assistants' -- should be in line with other AE programs.

OK, first coffee has been drained...

Colby's endowment is $775 million. Not bad for a school with 1,800 students.
UMaine's endowment is $180 million and is a considerably larger school (enrollment over 11,000) with a lot more spending needs than Colby.
Maine19Fan

I am in agreement with Mainefan19. But I find it odd that Jack Cosgrove would leave UMAINE. I got the impression he was tired of Coaching after his last year at UMAINE. I believe he was making 185,000 as football
Coach and he did take a pay cut to be a Senior Athletic Associate Director. Sounds like Creech was easing him
out of the Head Coaching Position but we really don't know what was going on up there.

Is Cosgrove just the next Football Coach at Colby or his he also being a part time Senior Athletic Director as well.
I doubt Colby is looking at moving up a Division although they certainly have the endowment to do so.
I never thought Jack would ever leave UMAINE for any reason but Colby is close by. You have to wish him the
best of luck. He certainly deserves all the accolades he has earned over the years of football Coaching.

Hey Mainefan this may be Terry Hollands time at UMAINE, at least in an advisory capacity. Holland was the
architech of ESU's fundraising but he had two top professional fundraisers working for him.

Who knows for sure? Didn't Winkin leave UMAINE to Coach baseball at Colby or perhaps it was Husson. I don't
follow baseball at UMAINE. I do know once Winkin left UMAINE baseball is trying to recover.

Yep, UMAINE needs all the fundraising it can get now.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby
Unread postby Maine19Fan » 29 Dec 2017 14:29

Was Cosgrove still making $200K the past two years? I don't know, just asking.

But, I believe his position was directly related to fund-raising. His salary was only "dead weight" if he wasn't bringing in more funding than he was getting paid.

Basketball_guy won't be happy that Maine is losing a fund-raiser!

Yes, Colby is a private institution and has big-time alums with deep pockets. It would be interesting to see that school's endowment and as it compares to Maine. I'm sure it's available on line ... just not going to look it up right now, still on the first cup of coffee.

And, they don't have to answer to Bob Cim? You mean I'm not the only one who tends to be critical of bcbc55? I thought everyone in Maine had to answer to Bob Cim!

We'll agree on something else: Maine needs to find more money to pay a men's basketball coach when/if the position becomes open at the end of the season.
Its current salary isn't going to attract a very deep pool of candidates.

There are a lot of other issues that need solving to turn around the Maine men's basketball fortunes. But, why not solve one by doubling the coach's salary level and attract some quality candidates? The coach's salary -- head coach and assistants' -- should be in line with other AE programs.

OK, first coffee has been drained...

Colby's endowment is $775 million. Not bad for a school with 1,800 students.
UMaine's endowment is $180 million and is a considerably larger school (enrollment over 11,000) with a lot more spending needs than Colby.
Maine19Fan

I am in agreement with Mainefan19. But I find it odd that Jack Cosgrove would leave UMAINE. I got the impression he was tired of Coaching after his last year at UMAINE. I believe he was making 185,000 as football
Coach and he did take a pay cut to be a Senior Athletic Associate Director. Sounds like Creech was easing him
out of the Head Coaching Position but we really don't know what was going on up there.

Is Cosgrove just the next Football Coach at Colby or his he also being a part time Senior Athletic Director as well.
I doubt Colby is looking at moving up a Division although they certainly have the endowment to do so.
I never thought Jack would ever leave UMAINE for any reason but Colby is close by. You have to wish him the
best of luck. He certainly deserves all the accolades he has earned over the years of football Coaching.

Hey Mainefan this may be Terry Hollands time at UMAINE, at least in an advisory capacity. Holland was the
architech of ESU's fundraising but he had two top professional fundraisers working for him.

Who knows for sure? Didn't Winkin leave UMAINE to Coach baseball at Colby or perhaps it was Husson. I don't
follow baseball at UMAINE. I do know once Winkin left UMAINE baseball is trying to recover.

Yep, UMAINE needs all the fundraising it can get now.

basketball_guy: Dr. John Winkin went to D-1 Maine from D-3 Colby and then went to D-3 Husson from D-1 UMaine. D-3 to D-1 and from D-1 back to D-3.

It was easier to get to the college world series in Winkin's time at Maine because all they had to do was win the Northeast Regional (meant getting by St. John's usually) when there was only teams from the Northeast area in the Northeast regional tourney then it is today when team from other parts of the country are in this regional tournament that finish 2nd place in some of the major D-1 baseball conferences from the other areas of the country.

I can remember going to those regional tournament games when they were held at UMaine at Orono on what is known as Mahaney Diamond today.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:22 am

Jack Cosgrove Named Head Football Coach at Colby College
- http://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Jack- ... 41993.html
- http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/23 ... head-coach

Colby Athletics @themules
Jack Cosgrove, former head football coach at the University of Maine, will be the next head football coach at Colby. Cosgrove led the UM football program from 1993-2015. Welcome to Colby Coach Cosgrove! #holdthehill @Colby_Football
https://t.co/PPDD4O5dvp
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 am

The former University of Maine football coach stepped down in 2015 after 23 seasons with the Black Bears.

... “Jack’s extensive experience, energy, and proven success make him the right person to lead Colby football into a new era,” Colby athletic director Jake Olkkola said in a press release.

Former Maine football coach and athletic director Walt Abbott said the facility upgrades – and landing Cosgrove as a coach – show Colby is serious about become a prestigious athletic program.

“Bringing Jack on board will be nothing but an asset to the football department, no question,” said Abbott, the Black Bears’ coach from 1967-75 and athletic director from 1991-92 and 1994-95. “I think Colby’s a great football job, I really do, with all the facilities and the positive direction they’re heading.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/29/j ... y-college/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics