Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Blackbear27 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 am

Cosgrove leaves Maine. Is U Maine Football falling apart.
Blackbear27

Re: Jack Cosgrove new Coach of Colby

Postby Blackbear27 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 am

At this stage you have to ask yourself why would a Cosgrove leave a cushy $200,000 k job to take a D 3 job for what I am sure for less money, and considering his coaching skills at Maine were at best declining. Cosgrove has done a lot at Maine to keep that program together. U Maine powers that be are not football friendly and U Maine fans are terrible at best. This latest surprise cannot be good news for U Maine.
Blackbear27

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:55 am

Tough to lose a good man like Cosgrove.
But, does this signify that the program is falling apart?

Remember, he hasn't been the coach for the past two seasons.

Maybe the program is "falling apart."
I don't follow football with as much fervor as basketball, so I'll leave that topic to others.

But, Cosgrove's desire to get back into coaching, without having to move from his home, is surely the primary factor.
Maine19Fan

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 am

Not surprised by this at all. Jack Cosgrove is a football coach. That is what he has done his entire adult life. I don't think he leaves UMaine because the program is falling apart either. The man wants to coach. He has made plenty of money and his kids have finished up school. Less pressure at Colby too. He can coach another 5 years or so and go out on his own terms. Remember, Creech basically created a position for him in the athletic office and strongly suggested he take it. The D1 grind was a bit much for him in the end. The move makes sense.
Blind Zebra

Postby mainejeff » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 am

Colby might be paying him $200K. Do you guys know how much money they have??? Take a ride down to Waterville sometime & you will find out. They are building a $200 million sports complex as I type this. They are taking over Downtown Waterville with new & renovated buildings. Seriously...get out of (B)orono once in a while & check it out!

P.S. - Because they are private they don’t have to answer to people like Bob Cimbollek. ;)

P.S.S. - Is anyone really going to complain that they are taking $200K per year of dead weight off the UM athletic dept payroll??? Hopefully some of this $$$ goes toward a salary increase for a new basketball coach!
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am

I was just thinking about that dead weight. This either allows them to up the ante to the next basketball coach or Richard Barron slides into Cosgrove's old position full time. I'm thinking the latter.
Blind Zebra

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

Nice move for Coach Cosgrove. Great way to stay in Maine, which he seems to love, Coach football, and get the heck out of the UMaine athletics miasma. Can only hope and expect him to be wonderfully content coaching football at Colby. Congrats to Coach C. for a great "opportunity" to enjoy Life in Maine !!

Everything else on here bloviating about what this "means" is just that, ... bloviation x. 10.
TAL1957

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:29 am

Was Cosgrove still making $200K the past two years? I don't know, just asking.

But, I believe his position was directly related to fund-raising. His salary was only "dead weight" if he wasn't bringing in more funding than he was getting paid.

Basketball_guy won't be happy that Maine is losing a fund-raiser!

Yes, Colby is a private institution and has big-time alums with deep pockets. It would be interesting to see that school's endowment and as it compares to Maine. I'm sure it's available on line ... just not going to look it up right now, still on the first cup of coffee.

And, they don't have to answer to Bob Cim? You mean I'm not the only one who tends to be critical of bcbc55? I thought everyone in Maine had to answer to Bob Cim!

We'll agree on something else: Maine needs to find more money to pay a men's basketball coach when/if the position becomes open at the end of the season.
Its current salary isn't going to attract a very deep pool of candidates.

There are a lot of other issues that need solving to turn around the Maine men's basketball fortunes. But, why not solve one by doubling the coach's salary level and attract some quality candidates? The coach's salary -- head coach and assistants' -- should be in line with other AE programs.

OK, first coffee has been drained...

Colby's endowment is $775 million. Not bad for a school with 1,800 students.
UMaine's endowment is $180 million and is a considerably larger school (enrollment over 11,000) with a lot more spending needs than Colby.
Maine19Fan

Postby fafan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 am

Blackbear27 wrote:Cosgrove leaves Maine. Is U Maine Football falling apart.

Why always the drama BlackBear27. Jack's title was Senior Associate Athletic director for UMaine. He had no ties to the football program except trying to get alums and fans to donate to the University. This move has nothing to do with the state of the football program. Will miss talking to Jack in the tailgating area before kickoff, quite a difference in his calmness in his role as AD vs coaching.

I will say that the endowment numbers for Colby vs UMaine are quite a revelation ;)

Colby's endowment is $775 million. Not bad for a school with 1,800 students.
UMaine's endowment is $180 million and is a considerably larger school (enrollment over 11,000) with a lot more spending needs than Colby.
fafan

Postby dunbar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 am

I’m guessing Barron takes over Jack’s job and Vachon’s interim tag will be dropped. I hate to see someone like Jack leave the department, but let’s face it, coaches are coaches and just want to coach.

The extraneous drama by the OP is unnecessary and inaccurate. He just hates everything associated with Maine Football and this is an opportunity to expand upon that.
dunbar

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics