And the Winner is??

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: And the Winner is??

Postby hoopsisme » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 am

There have been many young coaches. Mike would have been very young no doubt. Calipari turned down the Maine job as the resources at UMass far exceeded what Maine could do. He was very young as well starting at UMass. He was 29 when he started at UMass in 88.
Certainly Giannini had some good years in the Bedard, Nate Fox, Dunkley era. Unfortunately Drexel and Hofstra were very good.
Many coaches fail and succeed. Outside of a handful of programs and coaches, most chase something g that won't happen. Most of the top schools are farm teams for players looking to move to the NBA. Very few play 4 years and then play in the NBA. Heck many leave college before the school year ends.
Maine like alot of schools is unique. Until some hard decisions get made and finances, coaching all lineup, the wheels will spin. Even then it will be a struggle to just win the conference. I have lived in Orono since 84. Not holding my breath thinking it will get corrected soon.
hoopsisme

Postby thebam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:52 am

Maine19Fan wrote:To thebam: Yes, you could make a case that Maine has the worse D1 program in the nation.

So, what's the answer?
Should we bring in 8-to-12 players from Maine over a four-year span when it's pretty clear our state rarely produces D1 level players?

Or should we think outside the box and do a variety of things?
Some potential solutions:
- Bring in players from anywhere... from any state, from overseas, as transers, as grad-school transfers.
- Put a little more money into the program. Pay a head coach a reasonable and competitive salary to attract better candidates and pay assistants a competitive salary. These points, though, probably won't happen considering the U's financial difficulties.
Maybe we can get basketball_guy on this. Maybe his 12 former JV players will come up with big bucks!

Not even sure if those points would help. On top of everything else, Maine's location in the hinterlands with its brutal winters, etc., isn't exactly attractive to recruits no matter where they're from.

Wish I had the answers. Does anyone?

I don't have all the answers, but bringing in 8-12 Maine kids to a D-1 program would not work. There isn't enough talent. Anyone who thinks that would work is kidding themselves.
thebam

Postby Maine19Fan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 am

Yeah, Calipari was 29 when he took the UMass job.

But, let's compare resumes:
- Calipari, an ass't at Kansas , followed by being an ass't at Pitt.
- LaPlante, the No. 2 ass't at Maine.

Hmmm. Wonder why Calipari got a head coach's job at age 29, and LaPlante didn't.

Otherwise, we agree. Maine is a unique place for basketball, and not in a positive way. The wheels have always been spinning.
I'm not sure if even spending more money to support the program would turn things around. But, something has to be done.
Maine19Fan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 am

Had the Cross Center been built 20 years ago...UM hoops might be in a different spot. But alas.....a decade (or 2) late & a dollar short.....the sad repetitive story & history of the State of Maine in general. :|
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:58 am

mainejeff wrote:Had the Cross Center been built 20 years ago...UM hoops might be in a different spot. But alas.....a decade (or 2) late & a dollar short.....the sad repetitive story & history of the State of Maine in general. :|

Ding Ding Ding. Winner Winner Chicken dinner.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:47 pm

If the Cross Center had been built 20 years ago, it would’ve been done with ice. As much as I hate the idea of playing off-campus full-time, finally putting in the refrigerant floor would save the hockey program as well. Sucks when a Division I University doesn’t have a Division I basketball or hockey facility of their own.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm

dunbar wrote:If the Cross Center had been built 20 years ago, it would’ve been done with ice. As much as I hate the idea of playing off-campus full-time, finally putting in the refrigerant floor would save the hockey program as well. Sucks when a Division I University doesn’t have a Division I basketball or hockey facility of their own.

Given the current state of Men's hoops and Men's hockey ( although improving) , it's a hard sell to build a new multi use arena on campus. Would love to see a Cross Center style arena on campus with a nice parking garage and have it connected to the football stadium somehow. Oklahoma St. has a great setup.
thebam

Postby Maine19Fan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Nice to dream about a good on-campus, multi-purpose facility.
Another thing to get it done.
Who's going to come up with the $50 million to get it done?
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Nice to dream about a good on-campus, multi-purpose facility.
Another thing to get it done.
Who's going to come up with the $50 million to get it done?

If the basketball programs , plural and the hockey program were kicking ass, say on the Albany or Vermont level, people would be throwing money at a project like that.
thebam

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Hockey programs, plural too. I know I'm probably the only one with an account on this forum that's aware but women's hockey may very well post the highest win total and second-highest percentage (behind field hockey winning 12 of 18) on the entire campus this school year. I really hope the turnout keeps growing through the winter when we get deep into Hockey East play, because this team is fun to watch.

May never be a sport that drives serious revenue like basketball and football, but it exists, there's a very good chance the team finishes above .500 (WELL above .500 at that) for the first time in program history, and they have a few games that fall on the same days/weekends at men's games. So, might as well make a day of it. (Jan. 19/20 2PM puck drops vs. Merrimack including Skating Strides on the 20th) :)
Sean Stackhouse

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics