Coach Bob Walsh's BLOG of 12/19/17 "Freedom vs.Structure"

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Coach Bob Walsh's BLOG of 12/19/17 "Freedom vs.Structure"

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 pm

This is an excellent written BLOG which possibly explains why the UMaine men's team may have had offensive problems in Walsh's tenure at UMaine. This is the coaching philosophy he used at D-3 Rhode Island college in his own words about his basketball offensive style and philosophy... "FREEDOM VS. STRUCTURE".

I have always enjoyed his BLOGS especially the ones he writes himself. He is an outstanding writer. If he could get his teams to play as well as he writes then Maine would be successful.

If interested just go to CoachBobWalshBlog and scroll down........title: "Freedom vs. Structure" and it explains it all.

When players are allowed to have the freedom to decide offensively off who shoots, when they shoot and where they shoot it from, usually the results are from the players making the decisions which usually means that the decisions are made from the shoulders down because they're using their athleticism not their basketball IQ's to play the game which usually results in poor basketball decisions that lead to poor shoot selection, increased turnovers, no inside game, no inside-outside game to get better open 3 looks and increase use of the 3 point shot all of which have been on display for the UMaine men's basketball program the past 3 plus seasons.

It is the players being allowed to play freelance basketball as a reward for playing good defense.

What the definition of good defense for the UMaine men's program to allow this Freedom vs. Structure Offensive Philosophy that certainly worked at the D-3 level for Coach Walsh, but not the D-1 level.?

I do not agree with the philosophy of this BLOG, but it is certainly well written, timely, informative, relative and
interesting. Every coach has the right to their own opinion of how his team should play the game. However, they are always evaluated on these results of their philosophy.

Doing the same thing over and over and over again (3 plus yea in D-1 basketball)) and expecting different results has produced a won-lost record of 21-84 (20%) overall and 13-84 (13.3%) vs. D-1 opponents and 11 transfers in 2 years. Not very successful compared to the success of using this philosophy at the D-3 level.

But again it is "Different basketball strokes for different basketball folks" and "What floats some basketball coaches boats doesn't float every basketball coaches boat"!

This Blog is worth the time and effort to read Because he allows his players as it explains Coach Walsh's basketball offensive philosophy and why Maine is where it is at right now. The problem is that when this philosophy did not work after 2 seasons (11-49 22%) nothing changed offensively for the 3rd season (7-25 21.9%) and into the 13 games (3-10 23%) this year so far.

After reading this current Blog it reminds me I think this was what he stated was his offensive philosophy when he took the job before the first season started.

Because he has allowed his players this offensive freedom, which most athletic players like, I wonder why he has had 11 transfers in 2 years? Was it because the players valued winning over offensive freedom? UMaine's location, location, location? The long cold Maine winters? Or because the players wanted to move up the D-1 ranks to higher ranked programs? Whatever the reasons were these 11 transfers certainly were more talented then the current roster.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Re: Coach Bob Walsh's BLOG of 12/19/17 "Free vs.Structure"

Postby Maine19Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Here we go... bcbc55 has got all the questions, but none of the answers.
Maine19Fan

Re: Coach Bob Walsh's BLOG of 12/19/17 "Free vs.Structure"

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Here we go... bcbc55 has got all the questions, but none of the answers.

19: I have given answers and suggestions, it' just that you don't agree with them, that's all, so why do you even bother to respond to my armchair no nothing posts about D-1 basketball.

At least when I post about a negative D-1 situation, I try to give a possible positive solutions and do not get personell with negative responses of "name callin". But, I am used to that here on MBR and I am still here and many of those like you who get personell with "name callin" are long gone.

I prefer much more to agree to disagree instead of attacks and negativity. Everyone is entitled to their opinions even if someone doesn't agree with them. As the old sayin goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, you just cannot please all of the people all of the time".
bcbc55

Re: Coach Bob Walsh's BLOG of 12/19/17 "Freedom vs.Structure

Postby mainejeff » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:22 pm

All talk & no results. Lots of people like that these days!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:20 pm

mainejeff wrote:All talk & no results. Lots of people like that these days!

mainejeff: Walsh's BLOG of "freedom vs. structure" explains why Maine has done so poorly the past 3 plus years of 21-85 against all overall competition and just 13-85 versus D-1 opponents. He gave his reasons of why he lets the players decide who shoots, where they shoot from and when they shoot, if they play good defense???? Maine has played good defense the past 3 plus years??????????????????????

Guess it depends on what your definition of good defense is.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 am

Yes, all theory from bcbc55, and no supportive evidence, except in his own fertile imagination.

Doesn't he realize that basketball is a free-flowing game? That things happen so quickly on the court that they can't be pre-programmed?

Yes, players should have the freedom to take shots within the framework of an offense.

What 55 continues to advocate might have worked at Hickory High School back in 1954.

Now? Four passes before a shot, etc., just doesn't make sense in the modern era. It is so difficult in today's environment to find good shots, players need to take open looks.

This isn't football. Every trip down court can't be pre-programmed.

Please, 55 ... PLEASE ... come into the modern era. Or, at least into the 1980's!

It's very easy to find fault when a team isn't having on-court success. It's a lot more difficult to figure out to reverse that tendency, particularly when Maine is at a talent disadvantage in just about every game it plays.

55 is great at leveling criticism. Coming up with strategy that would be successful? Not so good.
Maine19Fan

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Maine19Fan wrote:Yes, all theory from bcbc55, and no supportive evidence, except in his own fertile imagination.

Doesn't he realize that basketball is a free-flowing game? That things happen so quickly on the court that they can't be pre-programmed?

Yes, players should have the freedom to take shots within the framework of an offense.

What 55 continues to advocate might have worked at Hickory High School back in 1954.

Now? Four passes before a shot, etc., just doesn't make sense in the modern era. It is so difficult in today's environment to find good shots, players need to take open looks.

This isn't football. Every trip down court can't be pre-programmed.

Please, 55 ... PLEASE ... come into the modern era. Or, at least into the 1980's!

It's very easy to find fault when a team isn't having on-court success. It's a lot more difficult to figure out to reverse that tendency, particularly when Maine is at a talent disadvantage in just about every game it plays.

55 is great at leveling criticism. Coming up with strategy that would be successful? Not so good.

19: It take one to know one so Maine19Fan is a know it all. If you don't think so just ask him and he will automatically disagree with you if it is not his idea.
bcbc55

Postby Maine19Fan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 pm

55: I only disagree with ideas from posters who don't have a clue.
Maine19Fan

Postby thebam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am

Interesting piece of data from this morning's drive to work. Lon Kruger, who I think knows what he is doing, said that Trae Young, the best player in college, has free reign to shoot when and where he sees fit. I don't know if this debunks the whole theory of structure ruling the day or not, but it's an example, in 2018 , of a talented player being given the freedom to let it fly. Seems to be working in this case however.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm

thebam wrote:Interesting piece of data from this morning's drive to work. Lon Kruger, who I think knows what he is doing, said that Trae Young, the best player in college, has free reign to shoot when and where he sees fit. I don't know if this debunks the whole theory of structure ruling the day or not, but it's an example, in 2018 , of a talented player being given the freedom to let it fly. Seems to be working in this case however.

thebam: Will it win a national Championship or get even to the final four with a player who has free reign to shoot.

What happens when a team if they are smart(although not many are) enough to go Diamond and one on Young and take him out of the offense. Will he still keep shooting or will the other four players on the florr be able to pick up the slack?
bcbc55

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics