Nick Mayo's Eastern Kentucky 8 games stats

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Nick Mayo's Eastern Kentucky 8 games stats

Postby mainejeff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 am

Mayo was under recruited....period. That is the fault of his parents, coaches & "advisors". I don't think that Eastern Kentucky was hiding him up here. He should have be playing in the A-10, Big East or ACC....not the obscurity of a small program in Kentucky.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Linguist wrote:From conversations I had with good friends of the Mayo family, he didn't want to go to Maine. Nothing was said about recruiting tactics or phrases uttered. He wanted to get out and see what he could do. Played in Kentucky for an AAU event or tournament, and loved it there.

We all have connections Bob, we all hear stories and reports.

Perhaps the reason he didn't want to go to Maine was because of what was said. Perhaps he loved the state of Kentucky because they showered him with love and adulation. No idea. But I was told after he played in that event, and hit the radar of teams outside of Maine, he realized there was a bigger pond to swim in and he wanted to challenge himself in that bigger pond.

But sure. Let's go with your theory because it takes shots at UMaine and you get to continue holding your grudge from whenever it was that it started.

Lindquist: My conversation was a lot closer then good friends of his parents/family.

No grudge. Just being a Maine tax payer who is sick and tired of the UMaine board of trustees hiring out-of-state chancellors who hire out-of-state presidents who hire out-of-state AD's who hire out-of-state head coaches who hire out-of-state assistant coaches, who recruit out- of-state players. PLUS, you know these out-of-staters are looking to use these Maine jobs as stepping stones.

We have people in Maine that are qualified for all of those jobs and they probably would stay.

We are not "hicks in the sticks" as many think we are.

In men's basketball who was the only coach who stayed the longest since 1949? He stayed for 17 seasons? He was the coach with the third best winning percentage since 1949. He used Maine High School players. IT WAS A MAINER WHO PLAYED AT OLD TOWN HS AND AT UMAINE..........SKIP CHAPPELLE.

ONLY 2 out-of-state head Maine basketball coaches have a winning percentage used Mainers who where key performers.

The last winning season was 2009-10 under Woodward and they went 19-10 with 3 Maine starters and could have had 5 if 2 had not left the team. One being their best scorer his junior year.

We also had D-3 coaches in the state who were as successful as Walsh overall at the time of his hire in 2014.

The AD should have hired Woodward's head assistant coach Doug Leischner as an interim coach and then they would have had the time and not have to rush into a late hire like they did if Doug did not work out as interim head coach...and how has that late hire worked out?

Also, Chris Markwood successful associate head assistant coach at Vermont and Northeastern and former player at South Portland and Notre Dame and at Maine was overlooked. He did not get an on campus interview, his was done by skype.

No grudge, just do not feel I am getting my money's worth for my taxes that pay for the University of Maine and their out-of-state HIRING philosophy practice.

You would think with most of the 15 members of the Maine Board of Trustees living in Maine they would be more sensitive to hiring Mainers for these positions that do the hiring.

If Maine was a private university and not a land grant state PUBLIC institution then it would be none of my business.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Linguist wrote:From conversations I had with good friends of the Mayo family, he didn't want to go to Maine. Nothing was said about recruiting tactics or phrases uttered. He wanted to get out and see what he could do. Played in Kentucky for an AAU event or tournament, and loved it there.

We all have connections Bob, we all hear stories and reports.

Perhaps the reason he didn't want to go to Maine was because of what was said. Perhaps he loved the state of Kentucky because they showered him with love and adulation. No idea. But I was told after he played in that event, and hit the radar of teams outside of Maine, he realized there was a bigger pond to swim in and he wanted to challenge himself in that bigger pond.

But sure. Let's go with your theory because it takes shots at UMaine and you get to continue holding your grudge from whenever it was that it started.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics