Basketball - # of Qualifying Teams in Conference Tourney

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Basketball - # of Qualifying Teams in Conference Tourney

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on reducing the number of teams qualifying for the America East conference tournament from 8 (9 now with UMass Lowell) to 4.* Realistically, no America East teams (at least on the women's side and I assume on the men's side) are going to receive an at-large bid this year. Therefore, aside from seeding and deciding home court advantage - throughout the tournament for men and only in the championship game for women - the 16-game regular season is rendered almost meaningless in the context of determining which team advances to the NCAA tournament. It seems that a 4-team conference tournament would help ensure that the best team represents the conference in the NCAA tournament and not simply a team that gets hot during a 3-game stretch in March.

I appreciate the excitement resulting from a lower seed (e.g., 7 or 8 seed) making a run at the conference title. However, a 16-game regular season is a more complete measure of who the best teams in a conference are, and the process for determining who makes the conference tournament should reflect that, particularly in a one-bid conference.

* To clarify, this proposal is not based on anything currently being considered by the America East. Moreover, it would be difficult/impossible to implement this on the women's side given the current structure of their tournament (first two rounds at a predetermined team's home court).
MaineBBFan99

Re: Basketball - # of Qualifying Teams in Conference Tourney

Postby thebam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

How about no conference tournament at all. Just send the 1st place team and call it good.
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 pm

thebam wrote:How about no conference tournament at all. Just send the 1st place team and call it good.

thebam: I agree send the conference regular season winner and still have the tournament for all teams.

Harder to win the regular season championship then the tournament championships.

In the conferences that usually send more at large teams then if the regular season champion does not win the conference tourney then the conference tourney winner could go automatically along with other teams if it is one of the conferences that usually sends 4 or 5 teams annually.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am

There may be only one NCAA bid from America East Conference in Basketball for the Mens and Womens teams
but without a tournament there would probably be no NIT bids from the America East Conference.

I had thought Maine should join the CAA in basketball as well since the RPI for CAA is somewhat higher but they
don't seem to be getting anymore bids to the NCAA or NIT either.

That is kind of how it all falls out.
basketball_guy

Postby thebam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

basketball_guy wrote:There may be only one NCAA bid from America East Conference in Basketball for the Mens and Womens teams
but without a tournament there would probably be no NIT bids from the America East Conference.

I had thought Maine should join the CAA in basketball as well since the RPI for CAA is somewhat higher but they
don't seem to be getting anymore bids to the NCAA or NIT either.

That is kind of how it all falls out.

That's fair. I totally forgot about the NIT. I think it's important for AE to get teams into post season, regardless of the event.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 am

The regular season champ goes to the NIT if they don't win the conference and go to the NCAA tournament.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 am

I think that a 2 day 4 team tournament would be good for AE. The TV stuff would have to be worked out but for fans it would be a really good deal. It might light a fire under perennial losers like the Maine mens program as well knowing that they would have to finish at least 4th to make post-season.
mainejeff

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics