WBB: Maine at University of Toledo 11/30, 7 pm

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB: Maine at University of Toledo 11/30, 7 pm

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Cimbollek. So, if a ball is live and a team has more than five players on the court, you're saying that an official has discretion as to whether he/she wants to allow the offending team to correct its error and avoid a technical? In the college basketball rule book, it seems pretty black and white that if a team has more than five players on the court and the ball is deemed to be live, the result is automatically a technical.

With respect to the Maine/Toledo situation, it seemed that the ball was on the verge of going live when the referees observed that a sixth player for Toledo was on the court. Noticing this, the referees blew the whistle and gave the Toledo player an opportunity to leave the court. My question really has to do with whether or not the referees should have gone out of their way to prevent the ball from going live and allowing Toledo to correct its error.
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Mr. Cimbollek. So, if a ball is live and a team has more than five players on the court, you're saying that an official has discretion as to whether he/she wants to allow the offending team to correct its error and avoid a technical? In the college basketball rule book, it seems pretty black and white that if a team has more than five players on the court and the ball is deemed to be live, the result is automatically a technical.

With respect to the Maine/Toledo situation, it seemed that the ball was on the verge of going live when the referees observed that a sixth player for Toledo was on the court. Noticing this, the referees blew the whistle and gave the Toledo player an opportunity to leave the court. My question really has to do with whether or not the referees should have gone out of their way to prevent the ball from going live and allowing Toledo to correct its error.

MaineBBFan99: I was once told by a outstanding high school and College Maine official "that good officials know the rule book inside out, but then before they go on the floor to do the game, throw the rule book away, and use just plain old common sense".

With the clock not running even if the ball was live in the foul shooters hands, in the situation you asked about the official was correct in doing what he/she did.

If the sub entered the game without being asked/beckoned on by the officials with the clock running then it would be a technical foul if the official saw the sub on the floor.

In the situation you asked about the official was doing the right thing in allowing the player on the floor to leave the court as the sub had been beckoned onto the floor.

It could be a dead ball situation if the official thought that the foul shooter did not have the ball yet when the official bounced the ball to the foul shooter because the ball is dead until the foul shooter has it in his/her possession.

Just like if the foul shooter has the ball in his/her possession getting ready to shoot the foul shot loses the ball and it rolls into the free throw lane, officials will blow the whistle retrieve the ball and then bounce the ball to the foul shooter and then a new 10 second count starts again, when technically it could be called a violation because there is no way the foul shooter or his/her teammates can get the ball without committing a violation before the 10 seconds is up to shoot the foul shot.

Good officials want the players to decide the game not the officials.

When I was reffing high school and college games I must have done what the officials did in the Maine - Toledo game at least a half-dozen times although in those situations it was not that late in a close game, but that should make no difference. The official(s) certainly did the right things when they saw that the player on the floor was still on the floor. Good preventive officiating as the situation did not effect the game one ioda, but calling a technical foul certainly would have.

It is like calling fouls. Good officials usually use advantage or disadvantage in calling fouls. A lot of contact cannot be an advantage and a little contact could be a disadvantage.

It is all based on rather a player was put at a disadvantage or a player gained an advantage.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 am

Brosseau Tallies Career-High 26 Points in OT Loss at Toledo
Black Bears lead by 15 early, never trail in regulation

Toledo, Ohio -- The University of Maine women's basketball team (4-3), which led by as many as 15 and never trailed in regulation, fell in overtime at Toledo (5-1) by a 65-64 final. Julie Brosseau, who tallied 14 first quarter points, finished with a career-high 26 in the heartbreaking defeat.

Brosseau, who has now scored 20+ in two of her last three outings, finished the contest 10-of-23 from the floor, including a 4-for-8 showing from 3-point range, while adding six rebounds. Blanca Millan chipped in 16 points, five rebounds and four steals and has now tallied double-digits in each of her last six games. Tanesha Sutton chipped in 12 points and eight rebounds while Kirstin Johnson's career-high 11 boards were a game-high.

"I just love this team so much," said head coach Amy Vachon. "They play so hard, they listen, I wanted this win so badly for them. Especially the way we came out in the first quarter. Toledo is a great team, we knew they were going to come back. We kind of shot ourselves in the foot but those are things we can fix. We're playing freshmen and sophomores and I just can't say enough about this team and their effort."

The Black Bears were tough on the offensive glass, finishing with 10 offense rebounds which led to a 16-6 second chance point advantage. In all, Maine won the rebounding battle, 49-37.

Toledo, which entered play ranked No. 24 in the College Insider Mid-Major Top-25 poll, struggled from the free throw line, finishing just 12-of-27 (44.4%).

The Black Bears started the game with one of their most impressive offensive quarters in recent history, led by Brosseau's 14 points in the opening 10-minutes. Maine started the game with an 8-1 run, forcing Toledo to take a timeout just 1:56 into the contest.

Toledo closed within a pair before Maine settled in, answering with an 11-0 run to take a 21-8 advantage. Maine would close the first quarter on a 7-2 run, powered by five more points from Brosseau, to take a 28-13 lead, its largest of the game. The 28 points were the most scored in a quarter this season by the Black Bears against a Division I opponent.

The Rockets were able to cut the lead down to six on Mikaela Boyd's layup with 2:03 left in the half. Maddy McVicar's 3-pointer with 53-seconds to play in the second sent Maine into the break with a 35-26 lead.

The third quarter was quiet offensively on both sides. Toledo close the gap back down to six after outscoring the Black Bears 10-7 in the period. The game entered the fourth with Maine leading 42-36.

Toledo continued to chip away, trailing by four with 7:30 left in the final quarter of regulation. A pair of 3-pointers by Millan and Brosseau, separated by almost three minutes, gave Maine a 6-0 run to stretch the lead back to 10 with 4:44 on the clock.

However, the Black Bears were held to just two points throughout the remainder of the fourth. Toledo put together a 12-2 run as Boyd's layup with two-seconds remaining in regulation knotted the score at 54-54, sending the contest into overtime. It was just the first tie of the game and the first time Maine failed to lead in the contest.

Toledo took its first lead of the game on Jay-Ann Bravo Harriott's layup with 3:58 to play in the overtime period. The hosts extended its lead to three before Brosseau's fourth 3-pointer of the game tied it at 60.

Kaayla McIntyre's layup followed, putting Toledo back up by a pair, before Brosseau answered with her 26th point of the night, to bring the teams even once again.

On its next possession, Toledo stuck a 3-pointer. A pair of free throws by Millan brought Maine back within one. Maine was forced to foul with 3-seconds remaining. Toledo would miss both free throws but a halfcourt shot at the buzzer by the Black Bears would fall short as Toledo escared with a 65-64 victory.

Maine rebounds on Sunday when it travels to meet No. 8 Ohio State at 1 p.m.

-UMaine-

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2017/1 ... oledo.aspx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:06 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby waltwhite » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Now that my suspension is over I am going to try to post more often. I thank you mr tom for allowing me back on this site. BCBC I missed you very much.
waltwhite

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 pm

waltwhite wrote:Now that my suspension is over I am going to try to post more often. I thank you mr tom for allowing me back on this site. BCBC I missed you very much.

waltwhite: Ditto: Glad you are back.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics