WBB: Maine at University of Toledo 11/30, 7 pm

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: WBB: Maine at University of Toledo 11/30, 7 pm

Postby mainah57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:25 pm

What is going on with this officiating? Some of these calls have been just plain bad. Taking "home court advantage" to a new level... :roll:
mainah57

Postby fafan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

mainah57 wrote:What is going on with this officiating? Some of these calls have been just plain bad. Taking "home court advantage" to a new level... :roll:

Except for the block on Brosseau I thought Toledo was getting the worse of alot of calls. The missed travel on Sutton was very obvious. Bottom line you have a ten pt lead with 4 minutes and only score 2 pts the rest of the way u really don't deserve the W. 54-54 OT.
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Maine's D faltered in the 2nd half & their D feeds their offense. It was a tough road game that they coulda/shoulda won...hopefully they will remember this one when they have a league game that goes down to the wire.

Kudos to Johnson who played her best game in a Maine uniform.
mainejeff

Postby mainah57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:31 pm

fafan wrote:Except for the block on Brosseau I thought Toledo was getting the worse of alot of calls. The missed travel on Sutton was very obvious. Bottom line you have a ten pt lead with 4 minutes and only score 2 pts the rest of the way u really don't deserve the W. 54-54 OT.

Yes, to be fair, after a long stretch where it seemed we couldn't get a single call to go our way (e.g. a few of the early calls on Sutton and Wadling that looked clean to me), things evened out a bit and Toledo got the brunt of a couple of bad calls too.

But yeah, at the end of the day (especially after watching 4th Quarter & the 5 OT minutes), we needed to do more offensively towards the end of the game if we wanted to win.

It was a frustrating game to watch, because it seemed like there were so many opportunities we had to just take it, and it would have been a BIG win. But on the positive side, this was a game where, going into it, I was half-expecting a possible blowout... the more and more I see this team, the more I think they can really be one of the top teams in the AE this year.
mainah57

Postby fafan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm thinking with Saar on the floor we get the W. Was quite obvious without her we don't have the ability to handle full court pressure. Missed FT's in regulation really hurt. Great effort and hopefully we win a game like that later in the year with a little more experience.
fafan

Postby mainah57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 pm

mainejeff wrote:Maine's D faltered in the 2nd half & their D feeds their offense. It was a tough road game that they coulda/shoulda won...hopefully they will remember this one when they have a league game that goes down to the wire.

Kudos to Johnson who played her best game in a Maine uniform.

Agreed on both points. Definitely the best game I've seen Johnson play. It's been really great to see her development - a few years ago, I wasn't sure if we'd be seeing her make major contributions, but she was absolutely crucial to the team's performance in this game.
mainah57

Postby mainah57 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 pm

fafan wrote:I'm thinking with Saar on the floor we get the W. Was quite obvious without her we don't have the ability to handle full court pressure. Missed FT's in regulation really hurt. Great effort and hopefully we win a game like that later in the year with a little more experience.

Agree 100%. I was really impressed by her ability to handle pressure in the Miami game. I get a bit more nervous in the team's ability to do so without her on the floor... and this became a crucial sticking point at the end of the game here, unfortunately.
mainah57

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Stats for this game on PAGE 1 of this thread 9th post down.

This was a woulda, coulda, shouda game. Woulda won if they shot 3's 6-23 and foul shots 12-20 60% better, coulda won and shoulda won.

Again, "living by the three (like the Maine men) dying by the three" (like the Maine men."

Again, no inside-outside game to get open threes (like the men).
bcbc55

Postby MaineBBFan99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Gutsy performance by the Black Bears on the road against a tough Toledo squad - agree with most of what has been said already about this game.

One question though: with 3.7 seconds after a made free throw, Toledo made a substitution and, initially, no player left the court, leaving Toledo with six players. Just as the Toledo foul shooter received the ball from the official (with six players still on the court), the referees blew the whistle and allowed a Toledo player to leave the court. I suppose it is debatable regarding whether the ball was truly live (in which case, the result would have been a technical); however, are officials allowed to stop a ball from becoming live if they realize one team has six players?
MaineBBFan99

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 pm

MaineBBFan99 wrote:Gutsy performance by the Black Bears on the road against a tough Toledo squad - agree with most of what has been said already about this game.

One question though: with 3.7 seconds after a made free throw, Toledo made a substitution and, initially, no player left the court, leaving Toledo with six players. Just as the Toledo foul shooter received the ball from the official (with six players still on the court), the referees blew the whistle and allowed a Toledo player to leave the court. I suppose it is debatable regarding whether the ball was truly live (in which case, the result would have been a technical); however, are officials allowed to stop a ball from becoming live if they realize one team has six players?

MaineBBFan99: A couple of things. If the foul shooter had the ball then it is a live ball. However, official can prevent a technical if they wish to even if it was a live ball in that situation.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics