UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Well they did play a competitive game against BU and did well against the opponent today.

You have to give the kids credit. Perhaps Bob Simon is moving them in the right direction.

I don't understand their scheduling. Georgetown from the BIG East? Boston College from the ACC.

I might understand if they had a possible at large bid to the NCAA tournament or NIT, but Maine is in the

America East Conference.

PREDICTED FINISH

1. Vermont
2. Albany
3. UMBC
4. New Hampshire
5. UMass-Lowell
6. Stony Brook
7. Binghamton
8. Maine
9. Hartford

Maine needs as many wins as they can get get to secure Walsh's job I guess.

I don't think he will last the season but I hope I am wrong and they have a miraculous season more out
empathy for the kids who are playing because I just don't see Walsh as the long term solution.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Well they did play a competitive game against BU and did well against the opponent today.

You have to give the kids credit. Perhaps Bob Simon is moving them in the right direction.

I don't understand their scheduling. Georgetown from the BIG East? Boston College from the ACC.

I might understand if they had a possible at large bid to the NCAA tournament or NIT, but Maine is in the

America East Conference.

PREDICTED FINISH

1. Vermont
2. Albany
3. UMBC
4. New Hampshire
5. UMass-Lowell
6. Stony Brook
7. Binghamton
8. Maine
9. Hartford

Maine needs as many wins as they can get get to secure Walsh's job I guess.

I don't think he will last the season but I hope I am wrong and they have a miraculous season more out
empathy for the kids who are playing because I just don't see Walsh as the long term solution.

basketball_guy: I told you 8-8 in conference play and win a quarter-final tourney game and that is a BIG IF for Walsh to get another contract.

Playing Georgetown, Texas Tech, Boston College, etc. as guarantee games as they need all the money they can get, that is why they will not waste the money on buying out coaches contract.

The only difference today was they lived by the 3.. 23 of 51 attempts were 3's for 45.1% of their FGA's and lived.

Whereas in the other 5 games they died by the three as going into today's game with Quinnipac they were just 24.6% from beyond the arc and if there was more time or if Quinnipac hadn't got started so late and gone to Daniels their big who Maine could not handle when he got touches a lot sooner he would have had 34 not 24.

They would have won the game.

Maine's 14 for 23 from 3 point land got them above 30% for the first time this season at 30.2%.

They have taken 43.5% of their FGA's as 3's so far in 6 games on 149 of 340.

26 Maine turnovers today led to the Q Bobcats comeback to cut it to 5 late in the second half after trailing by 26 early in the 2nd half.

Looks like if Maine is shooting 60+% from beyond the arc then they have a chance to win a game, yet they almost literally TURNED the game over to Quinnipiac.
bcbc55

Postby KVAC_GURU » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 am

Fellas,

I see some of your points here, but some are reeeaaalll hard to see/agree with... Many of you guys are calling for heavy recruitment of Mainers to the team. Hurts to say, but only 1 player from Maine High Schools is good enough to play Division 1 college basketball each year, maybe 2 if we're real lucky. Look at the UVM roster. They have 2 kids from Vermont, one a senior who doesn't get much time, and the other is a frosh. UNH has 1 kid from NH. These teams have been towards the top of the AE for several years, and these states both overpower Maine high school hoops, and you don't see their state schools recruiting kids from their area heavily. Why? Because the kids are not good enough.

Also, many of you guys are calling for the firing of Bob Walsh. If this were the NBA, I could see your point. You fire your coach, still have the same team, same GM, the same access to the NBA draft, free agency, and so on. But in college hoops, especially at the America East level, this could cripple a program for years. Look what happened when we fired Woodward. All of our good players left the school, and we left Coach Walsh with a team that could only muster 3 wins on the season. And it's also tough to see the "Walsh can't recruit" argument. Look at who he's brought in over his first couple of years. Isaac Vann from CT, transferred to A-10 powerhouse VCU. Wes Myers transferred in from NY, and left to go to last years final four team, South Carolina, where he's gettinng 20 minutes a game. Devine Eke came in, and then tranferred to Rider. Kevin Little was here, and then transferred to Colorado State. Ilker Er had an offer from LSU, but he's here. That would be a nice little lineup wouldn't it be...Calixte, Myers, Er, Eke, Vann... It's tough to keep these players when they can transfer to a school with a better location, facilities, schedule, gear, luxuries, and so on. It's not Walsh's fault. If we fire him, we're right back at the same 3 win spot we were when Woodward got canned.

The 76ers have been riding Brett Brown even though they broke records for being so terrible, and even though he's lost so many games...

Trust the Process, folks...
KVAC_GURU

Postby augie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am

KVAC_GURU wrote:Fellas,

I see some of your points here, but some are reeeaaalll hard to see/agree with... Many of you guys are calling for heavy recruitment of Mainers to the team. Hurts to say, but only 1 player from Maine High Schools is good enough to play Division 1 college basketball each year, maybe 2 if we're real lucky. Look at the UVM roster. They have 2 kids from Vermont, one a senior who doesn't get much time, and the other is a frosh. UNH has 1 kid from NH. These teams have been towards the top of the AE for several years, and these states both overpower Maine high school hoops, and you don't see their state schools recruiting kids from their area heavily. Why? Because the kids are not good enough.

Also, many of you guys are calling for the firing of Bob Walsh. If this were the NBA, I could see your point. You fire your coach, still have the same team, same GM, the same access to the NBA draft, free agency, and so on. But in college hoops, especially at the America East level, this could cripple a program for years. Look what happened when we fired Woodward. All of our good players left the school, and we left Coach Walsh with a team that could only muster 3 wins on the season. And it's also tough to see the "Walsh can't recruit" argument. Look at who he's brought in over his first couple of years. Isaac Vann from CT, transferred to A-10 powerhouse VCU. Wes Myers transferred in from NY, and left to go to last years final four team, South Carolina, where he's gettinng 20 minutes a game. Devine Eke came in, and then tranferred to Rider. Kevin Little was here, and then transferred to Colorado State. Ilker Er had an offer from LSU, but he's here. That would be a nice little lineup wouldn't it be...Calixte, Myers, Er, Eke, Vann... It's tough to keep these players when they can transfer to a school with a better location, facilities, schedule, gear, luxuries, and so on. It's not Walsh's fault. If we fire him, we're right back at the same 3 win spot we were when Woodward got canned.

The 76ers have been riding Brett Brown even though they broke records for being so terrible, and even though he's lost so many games...

Trust the Process, folks...

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying if it was your call 100% you would extend Bob Walsh's contract?
augie

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 am

Alabama Crimson Tide have now moved up to 24th in the Nation. Now 6-1 on the season.

A team currently that Bob Simon was primarily responsible for recruiting two years back as

recruiting coordinator for Alabama.

I hope that point is not lost on the UMAINE Athletic Department. Basketball is all about recruiting.

Maine also is playing better lately in the last three games.

The Head Coach does make a difference though even at UMAINE. But Walsh is in his fourth year.

You think there is a big difference in basketball between Maine and Alabama. Three years ago Alabama

was right where Maine is today. Rated 231 in the RPI more or less, at the bottom of the SEC. They brought

in Avery Johnson and Johnson brought in Bob Simon as his recruiting coordinator. Now Bob Simon is at Maine.

I say give Walsh the season to see where he can go. The alternative would be to make Simon the Head Coach.

He would certainly deserve serious consideration. But at that point anything is possible. I agree with your

about in state talent, but the big difference is there are major prep schools in New England where there is plenty

of talent. Best to see how this season shakes out. But Walsh is in his fourth season. Seems like he would have

turned thing around by now. At least so some progress could be seen.
basketball_guy

Postby imposter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:32 am

Where is Maine?

Current Commits (via verbalcommits.com) - Locations are school location

Albany Great Danes
-Antonio Rizzuto, PG, Northeastern HS (Mt. Wolf, Pa.)
-Malachi de Souza, SF, South Kent School (South Kent, Conn.)

Binghamton Bearcats
-Sam Sessoms, PG, The Shipley School (Bryn Mawr, Pa.)
-Carter Steward, SF, Mekeel Christian Academy (Scotia, NY)
-Calistus Anyichie, SF, St. Mary of the Assumption HS (Elizabeth, NJ)
-Will Becker, PF, Smoky Hill HS (Aurora, Colo.)

Hartford Hawks
None

Maine Black Bears
None

New Hampshire Wildcats
-Jayden Martinez, SF, Byron P. Steele II HS (Cibolo, Tex.)

Stony Brook Seawolves
-Miles Latimer, PG, Paul VI HS (Fairfax, Va.)
-Jules Moor, SG, Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.)
-Alex Christie, C, The MacDuffie School (Granby, Mass.)

UMBC Retrievers
-Jose Placer, PG, The Master's Academy (Orlando)
-Kaelin Jackson, PG, Temple College (Temple, Tex.) - JUCO
-Jack Schwietz, SG, Findlay Prep (Henderson, Nev.)

UMass Lowell River Hawks
-Alex Rivera, PG, Lowell HS (Lowell)
-Bryce Daley, PG, Salisbury School (Salisbury, Conn.)
-Joey Glynn, PF, The Tilton School (Tilton, NH)
-Darius Henderson, PF, La Salle HS (Pasadena, Calif.)

Vermont Catamounts
-Robin Duncan, PG, William Henry Harrison HS (Evansville, Ind.)
-Isaiah Moll, SF, Colonie Central HS (Albany)
-Ryan Davis, PF, James B. Conant HS (Hoffman Estates, Ill.)
imposter

Postby mainejeff » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:18 am

They are going to let the new coach bring in his own players. Good move.
mainejeff

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics