UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:54 pm

OT loss to Sacred Heart 69-68.

Game writeup. If interested. Jut Go to my BLOG offtherimbangordailynews.com and you will find it there.
bcbc55

Re: UMaine men's basketball team lose 4th straight in OT

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Bob:

I really wonder if Walsh will finish out the season. It goes back to last year. I don't know what
the powers that be are thinking but it does seem to me if this was his first year he would have
a lot of leeway. But this is his fourth year and they seem to be continuing down this losing line....even
with different players. Admittedly he has had a very rough go these past four years.

I would like to see Simon given a chance to see what he can do. I don't say that lightly, but Walsh
appears to me to be D3 Coach. They may not have the talent but sometimes a Coaching change is
necessary to motivate the players...Simon has a record of winning wherever he has been in the 1A
ranks. That counts for a lot in College Basketball

I just don't know where this will all shake out.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Bob:

I really wonder if Walsh will finish out the season. It goes back to last year. I don't know what
the powers that be are thinking but it does seem to me if this was his first year he would have
a lot of leeway. But this is his fourth year and they seem to be continuing down this losing line....even
with different players. Admittedly he has had a very rough go these past four years.

I would like to see Simon given a chance to see what he can do. I don't say that lightly, but Walsh
appears to me to be D3 Coach. They may not have the talent but sometimes a Coaching change is
necessary to motivate the players...Simon has a record of winning wherever he has been in the 1A
ranks. That counts for a lot in College Basketball

I just don't know where this will all shake out.

basketball_guy: Nothing will change until after the season based on wins-losses.

If Maine was going to buy out Walsh's contract they would have done it after last year (17-75) not after this season has started.

Powers-to-be should have named head assistant coach at Maine under Woodard, Doug Leischer the interim head coach for a year. I recommended that to happen in my "Off the Rim" Column at the BDN when the job opened. Then if they wanted to go outside after that year then they would have had plenty of time and not had to rush into such a late hire when there is little or no D-1 coaching movement, just way to late for a D-1 hire, like they ended up doing.

Only way Walsh possibly survives is that they turn it around and go 8-8 in conference play and win a conference tournament game.

I would prefer Chris Markwood former South Portland H.S.,
Notre Dame and UMaine college player and former Vermont head assistant coach and currently the associate head coach at Northeastern for the job.

However, would accept Simon provided they or Simon would name Markwood as the number one associate assistant coach at Maine.

Remember only 2 coaches since 1949 have had career winning records at Maine in men's basketball.

Care to guess who they are?
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Not sure Bob, but Simon is the right guy for this job and I have no doubt in my mind about that. He can flat out recruit. Right now this what has been lacking.

Once the talent returns the Coaching should take care of itself and right now Bob Simon is a well known D1 recruiter but I agree Walsh has been in over his head for a while now. Best to move on sooner than later but
you are probably right UMAINE will wait till the end of the season. I just would like to see Simon given a chance
to see what he can do with the same talent pool to prove himself. Because I believe he can do a whole lot better with the same set of players.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:38 pm

basketball_guy wrote:Not sure Bob, but Simon is the right guy for this job and I have no doubt in my mind about that. He can flat out recruit. Right now this what has been lacking.

Once the talent returns the Coaching should take care of itself and right now Bob Simon is a well known D1 recruiter but I agree Walsh has been in over his head for a while now. Best to move on sooner than later but
you are probably right UMAINE will wait till the end of the season. I just would like to see Simon given a chance
to see what he can do with the same talent pool to prove himself. Because I believe he can do a whole lot better with the same set of players.

basketball_guy: It is all about location, location, location and Maine is not in the location that Simon has been in.

Some of the out of state players that come to Maine bring some type of basketball negatives or if they don't then why do they come to Maine. Cold long winters, so much travel and a history of losing. If they don't bring negatives then some transfer out if they are good enough like the past 2 years for the men (11) and last year for the women (5).
When was the last time a Mainer transferred out?

Time for a Mainer who understands this and goes with the 2 best Maine players with each class 2 in and 2 out each year 8 on roster and recruit the 3 needed positions that the Mainer's do not provide usually BIGS. That makes 11 scholar shipped players.

Tell Maine players you are recruiting and their parents when recruiting them that they are really wanted at Maine.

BUT FOR THE PLAYERS BEST INTEREST THEY NEED TO GO TO PREP SCHOOL IF THEY WANT TO BE AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT D-1 PLAYER REGARDLESS WHERE THEY GO D-1 WISE.

Tell them that if Maine loses them to a higher ranked D-1 program that they will be real disappointed, but if they are unhappy where they go, they can always give Maine a call as Maine only uses 11 scholarships a year and always have 2 in their back pocket. How many recruiters tell recruits what to do that what is in their best interest and not the recruiting schools.

You might be surprised you might get them after prep school even if they get higher ranked offers. It should be Maine against the nation.

Even it Maine loses using Mainers I would rather lose with Mainers then with out of staters or international players like the past 7 seasons.

Last year Maine had a winning record was 2009-10 when they were 19-10 and Maine started 3 Mainers, McNally, Barnies and Bernal and could have started 5 if Socoby and Cooke hadn't left the team.

Have on campus tryouts for 2 or 3 walkons to fill out roster.

There has always been a couple of "gym rat" players in the old field house and now the recreation facility that were as good or better than some of the scholarship players on the roster usually every year.

Also, less chance of a Maine coach of using job as a stepping stone like most out of state coaches.

Got to convince Maine's best that when they get to the big dance it will be Mainers carrying much of the load.

Just my opinion in watching the UMaine men's basketball program since 1950.

Answer to the question of the only 2 coaches with winning career records for the men's program since 1950? Brian MCall and Dr. John Ginanni (spelling), both of whom moved on to better situations basketball wise and location wise. Mc Call to Washington, DC area and Dr. John to Philadelphia area.
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 am

Back in the 70's under Chappelle they did relatively well. One team with Kevin Nelson from Dover Foxcroft and a host of others won the Yankee conference that year. I was just an 8th grader at Old Town High School then.

The problem is that the Yankee Conference was a winnable Conference in the 70's for UMAINE basketball. Those days are long gone. I don't buy the fact that basketball recruits coming to UMAINE have negatives. I mean MCI in Pittsfield was well known for attracting top prep college talent and the cold weather did not seem to affect them.

I don't think UMAINE is a hard sell necessarily, it is just recruiting has changed. You have to recruit talent in your area to be sure and there are some players from Maine that warrant being recruited to 1A basketball colleges but
that talent wavers year in and year out. You really can not win with walk-ons and I say that being a former walk-on although I would not preclude walkons. To be sure they need to hit the New England Prep Schools more than they have. That I agree with, but Simon is well aware of that fact to and he is very good at attracting talent.

I don't know what the AD is going to do if UMAINE goes 0 Wins and 10 losses before the end of the Fall Semester. But unfortunately UMAINE basketball is outclassed right now. That is a very real possibility unfortunately.

I think that decision has got to be made but I also think a bigger decision pertaining to the league affiliation has got to be made as well. When you have only one school headed into the NCAA touranment and right now that has been Vermont for a long time then the issue is the league you are playing in. I think they would be better in the CAA where there may be two NCAA bids and some NIT bids as well. Players want to go to a school where they can get exposure in the NCAA or NIT tournament.

Right now there league affiliation has got to be looked at seriously to see whether it is benefitng the program.

But I am still of the opinion that a coaching change needs to be made and made relatively soon.
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am

Oh good grief....here comes the CAA stuff again. :roll: Are you trying to bankrupt the UM athletic dept?

Yes....Maine will leave a conference with UNH, Vermont, UMass-Lowell, Hartford & Albany so they can travel to Elon, Collge of Charleston, UNC-Wilmington, James Madison & William & Mary....I'm sure that would make them ultra competitive! The CAA is a one bid league now just like America East. If they can't win in America East....they certainly aren't going to win in the CAA! You just don't make any sense at all! :| :oops:
mainejeff

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 am

When you have only one school headed into the NCAA touranment and right now that has been Vermont for a long time

Such a dumb statement. Shows complete lack of research and ignorance to what has actually been happening in America East.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:06 am

Maine never won the Yankee Conference. Maine is also never leaving America East.

However,

Once James Madison leaves the CAA (inevitable), America East should jump on the opportunity of absorbing CAA Football. I'm not necessarily advocating an AE/CAA merger, but I wouldn't mind offering all sport memberships to schools like Delaware and Towson if America East took over the football conference. A re-brand back to the Yankee Conference would be nice as well.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 am

dunbar wrote:Maine never won the Yankee Conference. Maine is also never leaving America East.

However,

Once James Madison leaves the CAA (inevitable), America East should jump on the opportunity of absorbing CAA Football. I'm not necessarily advocating an AE/CAA merger, but I wouldn't mind offering all sport memberships to schools like Delaware and Towson if America East took over the football conference. A re-brand back to the Yankee Conference would be nice as well.

This scenario could help baseball get more than 6 or 7 teams in the league. It would allow for actual league games to be played earlier. Would definitely support this.
thebam

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics