Mainers playing College ball 2017:

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Mainers playing College ball 2017:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 am

Central Mainers producing for nationally ranked Husson football
Luke Washburn, Devin Pickett, DJ Allen all playing big roles for Eagles.

...Leading that central Maine group is defensive lineman and Oak Hill graduate Luke Washburn. A senior captain, Washburn has been key for a defense that’s allowed just under 11 points per game this season. In nine games, Washburn has racked up 51 tackles — tied for second on the team — and has 2.5 sacks. He even has an interception, which he returned 17 yards for a touchdown in Saturday’s contest against Alfred State.

“We’ve just got a lot of really awesome players,” Washburn said about this season’s success. “But more than that, we love each other and we love football.”

Washburn was joined in the starting lineup by an old friend, fellow Oak Hill alumni Alex Mace. A junior safety, Mace led the Eagles defense with five tackles in the win over the Privateers.

“It’s really fun to be able to play with kids that I played with in high school,” Washburn said. “Alex Mace and I were out there making plays, that’s so exciting for me to be able to cheer with him still. It’s exciting to be able to kind of come and represent where I’m from. Even though we’ve got guys from all over the nation playing for us, we’ve still got guys holding it down up here from Maine.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/11/07/ ... -football/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 am

Bates football: Litchfield's Flaherty finds role with Bobcats

...“I’ve always driven by Bates, ever since I was a little kid,” Flaherty said. “I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to come here. It’s a great school.”

“I’m loving the football here, especially,” Flaherty added.

Flaherty played slotback his first two seasons at Bates. He saw action in three games as a freshman in 2015, and carried the ball three times for 19 yards. He played in all eight games in 2016, and again had three carries.

This season, as a diveback, Flaherty has 36 carries for 131 yards. He has played in seven of Bates’ eight games (he missed one with an injury). After splitting time most of the season with Peter Boyer, Flaherty has taken over the starting job since an injury ended Boyer’s season last month.

“It’s rewarding. It’s definitely rewarding,” Flaherty said. “The past two years have been a grind in the offseason. You’re lifting, running five days a week, just trying to get better. It’s definitely great to get on the field and see some playing time.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/bates-footbal ... h-bobcats/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Rams1998 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am

Post by Tom Nolette » 08 Nov 2017 07:13

Central Mainers producing for nationally ranked Husson football
Luke Washburn, Devin Pickett, DJ Allen all playing big roles for Eagles.

...Leading that central Maine group is defensive lineman and Oak Hill graduate Luke Washburn. A senior captain, Washburn has been key for a defense that’s allowed just under 11 points per game this season. In nine games, Washburn has racked up 51 tackles — tied for second on the team — and has 2.5 sacks. He even has an interception, which he returned 17 yards for a touchdown in Saturday’s contest against Alfred State.

“We’ve just got a lot of really awesome players,” Washburn said about this season’s success. “But more than that, we love each other and we love football.”

Washburn was joined in the starting lineup by an old friend, fellow Oak Hill alumni Alex Mace. A junior safety, Mace led the Eagles defense with five tackles in the win over the Privateers.

“It’s really fun to be able to play with kids that I played with in high school,” Washburn said. “Alex Mace and I were out there making plays, that’s so exciting for me to be able to cheer with him still. It’s exciting to be able to kind of come and represent where I’m from. Even though we’ve got guys from all over the nation playing for us, we’ve still got guys holding it down up here from Maine.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/11/07/ ... -football/

Nit-picking here, but Husson isn't ranked in any of the Division III polls. They are very, very good though. I have nothing against them at all, I just have a rather annoying gene where inaccuracies bug me. Good luck to the Eagles in the NCAA Tournament!
Rams1998

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 am

York’s Kinton perservered along his path

...“It took me a long time to get right, and put academics first,” Kinton said. “My priorities were messed up. I knew that if I wanted to play ball and the game that I love, I had to sit in the library and dedicate myself to school. It took awhile, but I am happy. I matured. I am so happy I made that change. No one would have thought that I could do it, but I believed in myself,”

Kinton not only played three years with the Merrimack College football team, he earned a starting linebacker position, was named a team captain, and now has a 3.5 GPA and will graduate in May with a degree in business management.

“We were familiar with Thomas and really liked him coming out of high school,” said Merrimack head coach Dan Curran, who played for the Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints after his college days at the University of New Hampshire. “We were open to giving him an opportunity here. He battled, and got better every year.”

http://www.seacoastonline.com/sports/20 ... g-his-path
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Previous

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur