Regional Championship predictions!

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Regional Championship predictions!

Postby Hometownhero » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm

The Skow vs Brewer game reminded me a lot of Brunswick vs Brewer game last year in the playoffs. Brewer moved the ball well just shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. I saw a lot of holes in the Skow offense and defense in the first half. Obviously they made adjustments and turned it up a little bit in the second half. I’m sure they clean things up this week. But, I’m taking Lawrence in this northern Maine championship. 34-26
Hometownhero

Postby pre3time » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 am

Class A North- Portland 28 Windham 14
Class A South- Scarborough 35 Thornton Academy 34

Class B North- Skowhegan 42 Lawrence 21
Class B South- Marshwood 45 Falmouth 28

Class C North- MDI 45 MCI 14
Class C South- Cape Elizabeth 7 Gardiner 0

Class D North- Foxcroft Academy 34 Bucksport 22
Class D South- Wells 34 Madison 24
pre3time

Postby footballphan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 am

I would guess Skowhegan had 80-85% of their pass game on screens against Brewer. Shovel passes, quick screens to Bell, etc. I think if a team can work to take away the screen passes, that offense can be slowed down considerably. It seems to me like teams are scared and put a lot of defenders deep, which might be exactly what they want.
footballphan

Postby wings » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 am

footballphan wrote:I would guess Skowhegan had 80-85% of their pass game on screens against Brewer. Shovel passes, quick screens to Bell, etc. I think if a team can work to take away the screen passes, that offense can be slowed down considerably. It seems to me like teams are scared and put a lot of defenders deep, which might be exactly what they want.

Footballphan, On anutha note, it appears accuweather got the wind right but the rain wrong for today thru Saturday. They also got the temps wrong...With the wind chill it could feel like temps in the teens Friday night.

The Lawrence-Skowhegan B North final will be competitive like the regular season game, I think. Scoring might be down, though,unlike the 58-56 shootout.
wings

Postby footballphan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Your predictions were half-right...still impressive. I think it's relatively low scoring too. It is a little more challenging to throw and catch it in those conditions. However, as Cony proved in their run to the title, it can be done. Lawrence should try to negate the screens as I said before. If not, those are like runs anyway, and can be completed easily.
footballphan

Regional final predictions

Postby EasternMaineSports » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 am

EasternMaineSports

Postby MBRer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 am

Podcast: The Gridiron Gurus, Conference Championships
Staff writers Travis Lazarczyk and Drew Bonifant get ready for the conference championships with Madison/Carrabec coach Scott Franzose.

Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel football beat writers Travis Lazarczyk and Drew Bonifant are joined by Madison/Carrabec head coach ahead of the the Bulldogs’ conference title game against Wells on Saturday.

Watch the video of the entire podcast above, or listen to it in audio form below.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/11/08/ ... pionships/
MBRer

Postby Tomahawk86 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:02 pm

CFJunior,

I am not saying it would happen that way. MDI is very good. I am not sure Madison could beat them. But who else in C North would beat Madison this year? Winslow was down this year IMHO and Madison killed Oceanside and everyone else in that league last year including MCI in a controlled scrimmage . They returned their two best players in Whalen and Bess, but did lose a couple very good players.

I think they lost one regular season game last year in C North and I believe that was @ MDI late in the season by less than a TD. Someone might know exactly or check me on that. I don't think statement I made was super far fetched.
Tomahawk86

Postby TheMike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:03 pm

fafan wrote:Ok, don't follow HS football like I used, but had to but double check when FA played Bucksport the first time and sure enough FA won 45-18. And the majority have the Bucks winning. Did the Carmichael kid not play the first time or please tell me why u think this game is leaning to the Bucks at FA nonetheless. :?:

I've wondered about that same thing! My guess is that FA will be held to less than 45 points and Bucksport will score more than 18 points this time. Whether those differences will be enough to bring about a different winner remains to be seen.

However.. in a semi-related topic, I wish there were a way to send a personal message on this forum. fafan & i had some friendly back-and-forths back when both teams were in Class C, and if fa fan wants to put a face to these posts I'll be hanging around the concession stand before the game on Friday night. I'll be easy to recognize. I'll be the one wearing the Bucksport garb. :D
TheMike

Postby CFJunior » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 am

Tomahawk86 wrote:CFJunior,

I am not saying it would happen that way. MDI is very good. I am not sure Madison could beat them. But who else in C North would beat Madison this year? Winslow was down this year IMHO and Madison killed Oceanside and everyone else in that league last year including MCI in a controlled scrimmage . They returned their two best players in Whalen and Bess, but did lose a couple very good players.

I think they lost one regular season game last year in C North and I believe that was @ MDI late in the season by less than a TD. Someone might know exactly or check me on that. I don't think statement I made was super far fetched.

They did lose to MDI last season. And lost to Winslow in the post-season. If Madison had decided to stay up and play in North Class C, I have no doubt they would have contended for the title. But likely would have had to travel to MDI not an easy place to play.

There is no doubt in my mind if Madison had been in Class D North this year instead of Class D South, they would have won that championship and would have played either FA or Bucksport at home in that title game.
CFJunior

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur