Class A South final: Scarborough 49, Thornton Academy 7

post info & talk all things Football...

Class A South final: Scarborough 49, Thornton Academy 7

Postby gorams22 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Who's going to win the real class A State Championship game, and when will the MPA do away with the North and South and have a single Class A conference.

TA is 2-1 within the big three with a win over both Scarborough and Bonny Eagle and a loss to Bonny Eagle
Scarborough is 1-1 within the big three with a loss to TA and a win against Bonny Eagle.

Based upon season results to date you would assume TA is the slight favorite, but they have a bit of a QB controversy brewing, while the Red Storm appears to be full strength and focused.

Should be a great state title game. The week after will be nothing more than an exhibition and chance for winner to get the JV some playing time.
gorams22

Re: Class A State Championship game - Friday night @ Scarbor

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Man, whoever comes out of the North sure has some bulletin board material:p
TAallday

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 pm

gorams22 wrote: The week after will be nothing more than an exhibition and chance for winner to get the JV some playing time.

That's what we like to call in the bizz "stirring the pot"... :lol: :lol:

Beyond excited for the matchup. I hope the game is as intense and as exciting as it was last time. GO TA!
Labreckjrsdad

Postby Details » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:46 pm

The best high school football game (quality of play) took place last year between these two teams. I'm looking forward to another classic finish and I suspect it will come down to the team with the ball last...but that doesn't mean the defense won't make a stop to end the game!

Very deep and talented teams! Last year the "young guns" Red Storm went to TA and upset the veteran Trojans and their L Train. Is it the "young guns" from Saco's turn to go upset the veterans Panyi, Garrard, and Lagerquist??

I think #15 and #2 for Scarborough are real wildcards here. If they have big games the Storm win by a field goal...and that is\was my prediction. Should be a classic!
Details

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm

I know it's probably trolling to some extent, but this year it there's more truth to it. For an entire season, nobody in A North has looked like they could play with the A South titans. I kept waiting for a flicker of hope--something EL, Portland, Lewiston, Windham, ANYONE did that made me say "so you're saying there's a chance" in a non Lloyd Christmas sort of way. But it never happened.

If that's bulletin board materiel, so be it. I mean, I don't have a preference as to who wins the gold ball anyway. But how can anyone neutral expect the A finals to be anything but a win for A South? Wish it wasn't the case, but it is.

Been saying all year: this coming Saturday is the pinnacle of the football season. I just don't see where the gold ball games will be that good.
Rob Kennedy

Postby onthematorfield » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am

So what time do the gates open at Fitzpatrick for the State Championship game this Friday night? i was planning on watching some regional finals game this weekend, but according to this thread I missed them.
onthematorfield

Postby onthematorfield » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

[quote="gorams22"]Who's going to win the real class A State Championship game, and when will the MPA do away with the North and South and have a single Class A conference."

on a serious note, with the above way of thinking we should do away with north and south in Class B as well. The top three teams are from the South. I mean the B North 1st place team would have actually been 6th under a single class.

And what we really should be asking the MPA are questions like: why would they allow a team to DROP a class while they are the reigning champs? With a 44-0 victory no less.
onthematorfield

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:43 am

TA-Scarborough 'A' South football preview
The teams met in the playoffs last year with Scarborough winning
http://www.wmtw.com/article/ta-scarboro ... w/13447862
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby AVEFAN » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:53 am

onthematorfield wrote:
gorams22 wrote:Who's going to win the real class A State Championship game, and when will the MPA do away with the North and South and have a single Class A conference."

on a serious note, with the above way of thinking we should do away with north and south in Class B as well. The top three teams are from the South. I mean the B North 1st place team would have actually been 6th under a single class.

And what we really should be asking the MPA are questions like: why would they allow a team to DROP a class while they are the reigning champs? With a 44-0 victory no less.

I know this is not part of the thread but the above question has been on a lot of peoples minds. Usually when a team wins a state championship regardless of the score...44-0 they bump up a class not down. What is the motivating factor here? Is a state championship opportunity a be all end all? How much fun is it beating up on teams every week by 30-40 points?
AVEFAN

Postby JMHO » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 am

Unfortunately, my schedule will not allow me to attend this game. Any chance it will be live streamed? JMHO
JMHO

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur