Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Mayo

Postby hoops88 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
Hope this helps you out.

Thanks. I appreciate that explanation of the OVC tournament. I guess I meant what does EKU need to do to get better to be at the top of the OVC?

Whoops. Edited. Belmont didn't make the tournament. I read that wrong.
hoops88

Postby hoops88 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 am

His coach knows he could have transferred out:

“I had a couple of guys on the team who could have gone to power five programs. But when we had our end of the year meetings with them, it was never even a question.”

http://www.richmondregister.com/sports/ ... d2c60.html
hoops88

Postby Carl Parker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Great decision by Mayo, showed loyalty to coaches and teammates who have helped put him in position to play at the next level a tremendous young man who is just scratching the surface of what he can become. NBA real possibility.
Carl Parker

Postby Speed » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:11 am

Coach Parker dares give life to a thought I have held since first time I saw Mayo...

3 years ago when I came back from winter in Florida saw Mayo as a young Junior in HS go down to BABC's Boston Shoot Out and just dominate....he made a big Mass kid who was recruited by Clemson look slow and leaden....I honestly believe, given his young age, that Mayo was the best player on the court that day....he shot, rebounded, skied, exploded, scored and just totally dominated whoever tried to guard him....his offense then was years ahead of his D....

Later that summer Mayo took a Carl Parker coached AAU team on his shoulders....repeated his Boston Shoot Out performance on a national scale and led that team to an 11th place national AAU finish out of over 100 teams in the 17 U division....Mayo was discovered at this point and his recruitment went off the charts....

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Mayo is the best to come out of Maine since Nik Caner - Medley...perhaps even better...I share Coach Parker's view of what an extraordinary talent Nick Mayo is....
Speed

Postby TAallday » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

Mayo is truly an exceptional player. I wish him the best and man, how cool would it be if he played in the NBA??

Either way, I think NCM has proved that Mainers can make it big time, no matter where they end up. Nick is as good if not better than NCM was and I know he can do it.

His well-rounded game and cool demeanor make him a great asset for any club.
TAallday

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Mayo has shown a lot of character, loyalty and patience in staying at Eastern Kentucky. First, the coach that recruited him left after Mayo had signed his letter of intent, so the his freshmen year he played for the current coach who had not recruited him..

Then second, last year the Colonels finished last in their division of the 25th ranked Ohio Valley Conference at 5-11 and 12-19 overall. Eastern Kentucky was ranked 248 of the 351 D-1 teams in RPI.

However, they did not have a senior on the roster. They had 4 sophomore, 4 juniors and 6 freshmen so they were a very young team.

Mayo averaged 18.5 ppg 6.5 pg rebounds and in assists with 2.8 pg. Mayo shot 50.4% from the floor, 77.4% from the line and 39% from 3 point lad. He finished 5th in the conference in scoring, 12th in rebounding and 4th in block shots.

With no seniors and whatever new recruits they get in they should be a contender in their division of the 25th ranked out of 32 D-1 conferences.

So Mayo staying says a lot for him as a very loyal person and as a competitor who will have to be the leader in order to move Eastern Kentucky to an improved season in conference and non-conference play.

Many also may forget he is a young age wise for being a college junior for 2017-18.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Carl Parker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Cim,
The coach that recruited him left before his freshman year.
Carl Parker

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Carl Parker wrote:Cim,
The coach that recruited him left before his freshman year.

Carl: Thanks for the correction. I remember now the coach went to Fordham so Mayo had to wait and see who the new cocah was before he had played a game for EK. Thanks again, I will make that correction in my post.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:44 am

EKU BASKETBALL: Mayo ready to step into leadership role for Colonels

...But Mayo remains another couple of hours, putting up shots, working on his post moves and ball handling before heading home to rest a few hours before returning for the Colonels’ afternoon practice.

Mayo is coming off back-to-back All-OVC selections in which he posted some of the best numbers of any player ever to wear an EKU jersey in their first two seasons.

He averaged 14.5 points and 4.9 rebounds as a freshman and 18.5 points and 6.5 rebounds as a sophomore and scored in double figures in 34-straight games.

He became the only player in EKU history to reach the 1,000-point plateau as a sophomore, finishing last season with 1,025 points for his career.

So, it would be understandable if Mayo decided to take it a little bit easy this summer.

But it’s not in his makeup to be satisfied with his play.

And the fact that the Colonels failed to qualify for the OVC Tournament either year he has been at EKU still gnaws at the hyper-competitive big man from Oakland, Maine.

http://www.richmondregister.com/sports/ ... 4decb.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby MBRer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:14 am

EKU Sports‏Verified account @EKUSports

.@EKUHoops star Nick Mayo is one of only 20 players on the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Watch List!

: http://ekusports.com/news/2017/10/19/m- ... -list.aspx
MBRer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur