TA:: Portland frustrated in home loss to TA

post info & talk all things Soccer (GIRLS)...

Postby JT » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 am

Sharland named girls soccer coach at TA

SAC0 — The Thornton Academy girls soccer team will welcome a new head coach this fall, as former TA junior varsity coach and current history teacher Natalie Sharland was named to the position. Sharland will be taking over for Chris Kohl, who coached girls soccer at TA for 11 seasons.

“Soccer is a sport I’ve loved and I’ve coached in various roles. I’ve also coached basketball, track, I thought I had a pretty good resume. I teach at Thornton Academy so I think also having that teacher-coach connection is important,” said Sharland.

Sharland is a veteran in the soccer world, playing collegiately for the University of Maine and also coaching in the TA system for seven years. Experience will be key throughout the transition to head coach, according to Sharland.

“It’s important — coaching soccer for seven years beforehand, I have practice plans and ideas ... I’m ready to go,” said Sharland. “Familiarity is important.”

Sharland inherits a solid group this fall. The Trojans finished 2016 with an 8-6 record and qualified for a playoff berth in the Class A South. Much of the Trojans core is young, and Sharland is excited to get to know the club.

http://www.journaltribune.com/news/2017 ... at_TA.html
JT

Postby Forecaster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:58 am

Portland frustrated in home loss to TA

PORTLAND—Soccer can be a cruel game where the team that dominates possession and shots can come away with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Except for frustration.

That was the predicament the Portland girls found themselves in Wednesday evening at Fitzpatrick Stadium when they hosted Thornton Academy in a contest crucial for playoff positioning.

After the Bulldogs had an early flurry of shots saved by Golden Trojans senior goalkeeper Dana Sirois, the visitors saw an opportunity and pounced on it, as junior Hannah Niles threaded a pass to sophomore Alyanna Beaudoin behind the Portland defense and Beaudoin finished for a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute.
Forecaster

Return to Soccer (GIRLS): Maine High School & Amateur