A Great Era for Civil Discourse

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: A Great Era for Civil Discourse

Postby midcoastman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 am

So, I'll comment on the original American Thinker piece.

It lost me at the following, which also happens to be the opening sentance:

President Donald Trump didn't start this fight and is not responsible for the divisiveness that the NFL kneeling protest has wrought. Colin Kaepernick and the NFL alone are responsible for the uproar that's occurred.

To say that Kaepernick is "alone" responsible for the uproar would simply discredit any and all reasons that Kaepernick sat/knelt in the first place. The rest of the opinion piece hinges on this understanding, so it is unimportant to a dialogue of civil discourse.
midcoastman

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Trump did an outstanding job of delivering a message under horrible circumstances today.
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:43 pm

midcoastman wrote:So, I'll comment on the original American Thinker piece.

It lost me at the following, which also happens to be the opening sentance:

President Donald Trump didn't start this fight and is not responsible for the divisiveness that the NFL kneeling protest has wrought. Colin Kaepernick and the NFL alone are responsible for the uproar that's occurred.

To say that Kaepernick is "alone" responsible for the uproar would simply discredit any and all reasons that Kaepernick sat/knelt in the first place. The rest of the opinion piece hinges on this understanding, so it is unimportant to a dialogue of civil discourse.

I fear you didn't read the entire piece; are you saying a Presidential Council on Race Relations is an unworthy endeavor? What set you against the piece was nothing but a preamble, the reason I posted the article was not to have anyone be persuaded about Kap etc....it was about the idea of actually addressing the issues that are pressing in nature...if all this is ever going to be is "white people suck & its all their fault", its hard to believe these problems enumerated later in the piece will ever be resolved because they'll have never been addressed.
hawksfan

Postby hawksfan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:Trump did an outstanding job of delivering a message under horrible circumstances today.

He did...

I wish others with a platform had been able to resist banging the gun control drum for just a day, a single day to process...
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:53 pm

hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:Trump did an outstanding job of delivering a message under horrible circumstances today.

He did...

I wish others with a platform had been able to resist banging the gun control drum for just a day, a single day to process...

I agree. But there will need to be some examination of how he got full auto weapons. This was a very sophisticated act of terrorism. I generally hate the conspiracy theories that follow these events, but this one is strange.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Americans are just going to have to realize that living in this country means facing down violence everyday. Money & guns are valued over human life which has never been more evident than in 2017. If you don't like it here then move to a country that bans guns and have little to no mass killings.
mainejeff

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

mainejeff wrote:Americans are just going to have to realize that living in this country means facing down violence everyday. Money & guns are valued over human life which has never been more evident than in 2017. If you don't like it here then move to a country that bans guns and have little to no mass killings.

The fact that gun manufacturer's stocks rise dramatically after these events is disgraceful. The NRA is nothing more than a lobbying group for them, that's why I gave up my membership. I've seen plenty of flat out morons handling AR-15s at gun stores and ranges.

However, there are plenty of gun grabbing countries out there: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor ... pe_in_2017

Are you ready for a Trump led DOJ and ATF having control over your 2nd Amendment rights? If so then just go ahead and let them handle the 1st Amendment too.

The facts show that while gun ownership has increased gun violence has gone down. Last year Maine passed legislation that allowed non-permit concealed carry and gun control advocates predicted blood in the streets. Didn't happen.

This is as complex as our racial history. Gun control deserves the same level of introspection and discussion. And I write this with full respect for you and anyone else who disagrees. I know from personal experience how guns can devastate lives.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 am

Mike Tomlin wrote: I know from personal experience how guns can devastate lives.

I do too.
mainejeff

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:16 am

mainejeff wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote: I know from personal experience how guns can devastate lives.

I do too.

I'm sorry.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 am

Mike Tomlin wrote:
mainejeff wrote:

I do too.

I'm sorry.

Thnx. Same to you. Has not affected me directly, but it did affect my step-father & his family at a very young age.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to Politics