A Great Era for Civil Discourse

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

A Great Era for Civil Discourse

Postby midcoastman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am

It seems to me that this is a prime era for meaningful and civil discourse. I hold the posters on this forum in the highest regard. Well educated, articulate, and reasonable. Dirigo politics win the day.

From what I can tell, this board is most visited by Hawksfan (a fervent conservative, passionate about truly conservative politics, admirable indeed), MaineJeff (a moon bat to some, a compassionate progressive at heart, but still sensible and driven by facts, albeit selective facts), and Mike Tomlin (a moderate in the truest sense of the word, he's not afraid to call folks out for their BS on either side of the aisle, although not infallible himself, he can cling to his own beliefs when he needs to).

To make this forum great, I would encourage dialogue instead of debate. I would encourage referencing the least biased sources as possible. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ is a great litmus test for bias.

I would also encourage more to join the discussion. It is, and has been, my wish that moderate politics rule the day, but if that's not possible, I would hope that civil and intelligent discourse would rule the conversation.

In honesty, we have a divisive president as I have mentioned in prior threads, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Pot-stirrer in Chief, Internet-Troll in Chief is waking America up. We are looking at important issues in great detail and depth. Though it may be headache inducing to have as many people offer an opinion as they do, it is good for a democracy to have the general population educate themselves on important topics.

To a new era!
midcoastman

Re: A Great Era for Civil Discourse

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 am

although not infallible himself

Fake news!
Mike Tomlin

Postby midcoastman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am

:D :D
midcoastman

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm

midcoastman wrote::D :D

It's a cool site, thanks.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am

midcoastman wrote:From what I can tell, this board is most visited by Hawksfan (a fervent conservative, passionate about truly conservative politics, admirable indeed), MaineJeff (a moon bat to some, a compassionate progressive at heart, but still sensible and driven by facts, albeit selective facts), and Mike Tomlin (a moderate in the truest sense of the word, he's not afraid to call folks out for their BS on either side of the aisle, although not infallible himself, he can cling to his own beliefs when he needs to).
To a new era!

There are 2 things that I will never waiver on....

1. Equality for all.

2. Environmental stewardship (clean air & water!)

If that makes me a "moonbat" to some....oh well!
mainejeff

Postby hawksfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm

mainejeff wrote:
midcoastman wrote:From what I can tell, this board is most visited by Hawksfan (a fervent conservative, passionate about truly conservative politics, admirable indeed), MaineJeff (a moon bat to some, a compassionate progressive at heart, but still sensible and driven by facts, albeit selective facts), and Mike Tomlin (a moderate in the truest sense of the word, he's not afraid to call folks out for their BS on either side of the aisle, although not infallible himself, he can cling to his own beliefs when he needs to).
To a new era!

There are 2 things that I will never waiver on....

1. Equality for all.

2. Environmental stewardship (clean air & water!)

If that makes me a "moonbat" to some....oh well!

So then you should be feeling very very good about things MJ...#1...right, exactly, equal opportunity for all, we have that & #2...clean air & water...BIG checkmark...we have that, (well, there is that river in CO that Uncle Stoopid's enviro-wehrmacht destroyed, but overall, where the EPA isn't, clean air & water abounds 8-) )...
hawksfan

Postby hawksfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 pm

midcoastman wrote:It seems to me that this is a prime era for meaningful and civil discourse. I hold the posters on this forum in the highest regard. Well educated, articulate, and reasonable. Dirigo politics win the day.

From what I can tell, this board is most visited by Hawksfan (a fervent conservative, passionate about truly conservative politics, admirable indeed), MaineJeff (a moon bat to some, a compassionate progressive at heart, but still sensible and driven by facts, albeit selective facts), and Mike Tomlin (a moderate in the truest sense of the word, he's not afraid to call folks out for their BS on either side of the aisle, although not infallible himself, he can cling to his own beliefs when he needs to).

To make this forum great, I would encourage dialogue instead of debate. I would encourage referencing the least biased sources as possible. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ is a great litmus test for bias.

I would also encourage more to join the discussion. It is, and has been, my wish that moderate politics rule the day, but if that's not possible, I would hope that civil and intelligent discourse would rule the conversation.

In honesty, we have a divisive president as I have mentioned in prior threads, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Pot-stirrer in Chief, Internet-Troll in Chief is waking America up. We are looking at important issues in great detail and depth. Though it may be headache inducing to have as many people offer an opinion as they do, it is good for a democracy to have the general population educate themselves on important topics.

To a new era!

Ok Mcoast...I'm in. In the interest of dialogue...check this idea out, I believe its outstanding. Although I would stipulate that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson not be invited. The idea would never come to constructive solutions if race hustlers were allowed the hijake it...

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... ement.html
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:04 pm

That might be the dumbest thing that I've ever read. Kaepernick protested and became unemployed. The kneeling thing was going away until tiny fingers used it like a dog whistle/bullhorn at a campaign rally in support of a failed primary Senate candidate.

All of this is the farthest thing imaginable from the serious and candid talk about race that we need. But more importantly I wish that both sides would stop demanding righteousness and indignation when their own versions of pc are violated. Don't preach to me about justice from a pulpit that pays you millions, and don't whine like a bitch about that behavior.
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:That might be the dumbest thing that I've ever read. Kaepernick protested and became unemployed. The kneeling thing was going away until tiny fingers used it like a dog whistle/bullhorn at a campaign rally in support of a failed primary Senate candidate.

All of this is the farthest thing imaginable from the serious and candid talk about race that we need. But more importantly I wish that both sides would stop demanding righteousness and indignation when their own versions of pc are violated. Don't preach to me about justice from a pulpit that pays you millions, and don't whine like a bitch about that behavior.

You're against actually discussing the reasons that largely behind the current status quo of the black community's plight? At least insofar as those that have the misfortune to reside in our major cities? Why? I don't understand the reluctance. The "protest" is the action fighting the symptom, not the cause....

Regarding Kapoernick...please stop with the crocadile tears for him. Your contention that he got fired is false Mikey. Colin Kapoernick fired himself. First by elevating himself above his former team, causing contoversy & then when finally cracked the lineup of a lousy team, playing at a mediocre level. Second & much, much more importantly, he opted out of a huge contract....giving up $12+M. From a pure toy department of life perspective, one of the most idiotic decisions ever made....

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/1 ... free-agent

But it was never about football....he knew damn well he wouldn't be signed. He was on the decline and under the sway of his BLM co-founder & radical Marxist girlfriend...who crystal clearly saw this as a golden opportunity to use him as a cudgel against our society. The proof of that is in whats actually happened Mikey, that simple....you can't play lousy for years, decide as the BACKUP QB to make yourself the focus of a national controversy, wear cops as pigs socks & castro/che t-shirts & extoll the "virtues" of Cuban society...and think that an NFL team is going to bring all that hurt on themselves. Sorry, the "Kap got fired" meme is an embarrassment that needs to end...
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:55 am

I'm not defending Kaep or complaining about the consequences of his actions. I'm pointing out that he took a stand and paid a price. Trump made the choice to make this an issue and we're all paying a price.

Trump never called David Duke an SOB.
Mike Tomlin

Next

Return to Politics