Truth vs Narrative...

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby midcoastman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Hawks fan,

From what I can tell, you aren't a fervent Trump supporter. I've met hundreds of Trump supporters. Most resent black people for one reason or another. Most take a stand against minorities rather than with them. Most won't distance themselves from obviously racist people or ideologies. I doubt you fall into that category. You seem sensible.
User avatar
midcoastman
 
Posts: 2918
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am
Location: Mid-Coast

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

midcoastman wrote:Hawks fan,

From what I can tell, you aren't a fervent Trump supporter. I've met hundreds of Trump supporters. Most resent black people for one reason or another. Most take a stand against minorities rather than with them. Most won't distance themselves from obviously racist people or ideologies. I doubt you fall into that category. You seem sensible.



He is. Eventually he'll see the direct connection between defending Trump and racism.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:43 pm

hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:That's a racist statement. African-Americans are not a minority in the NFL, and a small minority of them were peacefully protesting. It became a "significant number" in response to Trump. And there has never been an anti-military aspect to this.


1) not a racist statement, a statement of fact by definition cannot be any -ist, -ism or -phobic, 2) who cares re: minority in NFL, didn't comment on that, 3) you're wrong re: small vs significant #...& when....it became a significant # when an entire team...Cleveland...took a knee in their preseason games, 4) military...most certainly is anti military...when you show total disrespect for our anthem & flag in the exercise of your rights that others have died to ensure you possess your are by definition anti military.


Are you actually claiming that a statement cannot be racist?
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby hawksfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:
hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:That's a racist statement. African-Americans are not a minority in the NFL, and a small minority of them were peacefully protesting. It became a "significant number" in response to Trump. And there has never been an anti-military aspect to this.


1) not a racist statement, a statement of fact by definition cannot be any -ist, -ism or -phobic, 2) who cares re: minority in NFL, didn't comment on that, 3) you're wrong re: small vs significant #...& when....it became a significant # when an entire team...Cleveland...took a knee in their preseason games, 4) military...most certainly is anti military...when you show total disrespect for our anthem & flag in the exercise of your rights that others have died to ensure you possess your are by definition anti military.


Are you actually claiming that a statement cannot be racist?


No Mikey, of course not. You posited that I'd made a racist statement. What I said in response was that I had made a statement of fact...a fact cannot be -ist, -ism or -phobic, a fact just....IS.
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby hawksfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:
midcoastman wrote:Hawks fan,

From what I can tell, you aren't a fervent Trump supporter. I've met hundreds of Trump supporters. Most resent black people for one reason or another. Most take a stand against minorities rather than with them. Most won't distance themselves from obviously racist people or ideologies. I doubt you fall into that category. You seem sensible.



He is. Eventually he'll see the direct connection between defending Trump and racism.


I don't believe what Trumpy said re: the kneelers has its genesis in racism but what he believes to be anti- Americanism. Judging by TV ratings & attendance figures a huge number of people feel the same way. Hell, there are plenty of white guys in on it now too.

For myself as one citizen....I am sick to death of all the protesting over everything the last 4 or 5 years. This all didn't start on 20 Jan '17. And it is all meaningless virtue signaling. Celebrities & athletes glomming on to the latest "issue", begging to be viewed as "woke" & desperately afraid they'll fall out of social media favor. TV ratings plummeting, cable subscriptions in the toilet, box office #'s in the tank, you'd think they'd learn...if they're loved its for what they DO, not who they ARE or what they THINK....
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby hawksfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:18 pm

midcoastman wrote:Hawks fan,

From what I can tell, you aren't a fervent Trump supporter. I've met hundreds of Trump supporters. Most resent black people for one reason or another. Most take a stand against minorities rather than with them. Most won't distance themselves from obviously racist people or ideologies. I doubt you fall into that category. You seem sensible.


I definitely strive to be sensible. I'm a "content of character" guy, a merit guy. I believe that tne identity politics that dominates our culture currently is a cancer, that if not excised soon, will metastisize into a something that our nation will not be able to recover from.

As far as Trumpy...if you're bored or sleepless check out some of what I wrote during the primary campaign. My "go-to" insult was "bloviating ignoramus". But he won, he's not HRC, Neil Gorsuch sits on the SCOTUS...I believe he deserves a chance & wants do well for our country. But he's also a thin skinned narcissist...which makes for now two presidents in a row that fit that description.

Quick extra edit....the GOAT does it again, pulling victory from the jaws of defeat! 25-35, 378, 5 TD's...not bad for a guy 40 years old....
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby midcoastman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

:P :D GO BRADY! GO PATS!
User avatar
midcoastman
 
Posts: 2918
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am
Location: Mid-Coast

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Ben Roethlisberger has never "disrespected" the flag, but given his history is he a better man than Kapernick? The racism is being more offended by a few peaceful protesters than by rapists and other criminals. Hernandez never took a knee.

Edit: Even Kraft agrees with me.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby hawksfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:24 pm

With regard to my overly broad characterization of all of them being virtue signalers...I just watched an interview segment conducted by Coach Dungy....thoughtful young men...I withdraw my opinion on their why, while maintaining my extreme dislike of their target & venue...please fellas...leave the flag & anthem alone, find another way to make the impact you want...

The criticism stands for any & all of the Hollywood ass-hats...

I myself stand with one of your guys Mikey....Alejandro Villenuevo....American hero & patriot....
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Truth vs Narrative...

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 pm

hawksfan wrote:With regard to my overly broad characterization of all of them being virtue signalers...I just watched an interview segment conducted by Coach Dungy....thoughtful young men...I withdraw my opinion on their why, while maintaining my extreme dislike of their target & venue...please fellas...leave the flag & anthem alone, find another way to make the impact you want...

The criticism stands for any & all of the Hollywood ass-hats...

I myself stand with one of your guys Mikey....Alejandro Villenuevo....American hero & patriot....


Trump provided the opposite of leadership and blew this up.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests