CIM's BLOG:Why do UMaine BB teams count non D-1 game stats

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: CIM's Blog: Great article on emotions of winning/losing

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Tom Nolette wrote:Coach, is this the piece you're referring to...

Why do they even play the game?

In mathematics, when you’re convinced of some eternal truth but can’t quite prove it, you offer it as a hypothesis (with a portentous capital H) and invite the world, future generations if need be, to prove you right or wrong. Often, a cash prize is attached.

In that spirit, but without the cash, I offer the Krauthammer Conjecture: In sports, the pleasure of winning is less than the pain of losing. By any Benthamite pleasure/pain calculation, the sum is less than zero. A net negative of suffering. Which makes you wonder why anybody plays at all.

Winning is great. You get to hoot and holler, hoist the trophy, shower in champagne, ride the open parade car and boycott the White House victory ceremony (choose your cause).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/c ... 2301f387fb

Tom: Yes it is. Thanks for posting it. Coach
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Blog:Quick hitting offense vs. shot clock

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:52 pm

COLLEGE COACHES.

Very effective vs. shot clock. Gets open layups, open 3's and draws fouls.

If interested just go to my bangordailynews.com BLOG "Off the Rim" Column.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Blog: Interesting transfer article on CoachWalsh's

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

An article entitled "Facts About Transfers" on UMaine Men's basketball Coach Bob Walsh's Blog is a very interesting read which includes many informative transfer statistics and reasons for these transfers since 2011-12 season entitled, "Investigating College Basketball's Transfer Movement".

Such stats as 60% of all D-1 men's basketball transfers do not end up at a D-1 basketball program since the end of the 2011-12 season.

There have been 4, 360 transfers in D-1 men's college basketball either to or from D-1 schools since 2011-12 campaign.

33% of D-1 players transfer during their college basketball careers.

These are just a few of the very interesting, revealing, and informative statistics concerning D-1 men's basketball transfers.

This article posted by Coach Bob Walsh was written by Eli Boettger.

Seeing that the UMaine men's program has had 11 transfers out and have had transfers in from other D-1 schools or JUCO's to replace the out going transfers the past 2 seasons.

This is an interesting article for any UMaine men's basketball fans.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest I would give Coach Walsh's Blog and Eli Boettger both a nine........TEEN for this material. I found the article and it's stats to be extremely interesting and informative.

If interested just go to coachbobwalsh.com for this article on Coach Walsh's BLOG.

Thanks to Coach Walsh for posting this transfer article on his BLOG for UMaine men's basketball fans to read.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Blog:BobWalsh'sBLOG: Fighting a Losing Mentality"

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 pm

UMaine men's basketball coach Bob Walsh has 2 new BLOGS that pertain to his program. One is today, Monday, September 25th entitled "Fighting a Losing Mentality" and the other is from Friday, September 22nd entitled "No One Cares...". Both certainly could pertain to Coach Walsh's current program of how, why and the way he is trying to turn the program around.

This should be required reading for any real true blue UMaine men's basketball fan.

If interested just go to my Bangor Daily News BLOG "Off the Rim" for more information about these BLOGS or just go directly to coachbobwalsh.com for the 2 articles written and posted by Coach Walsh.

All I know is that Coach Walsh's summer BLOGS have saved me from some real serious basketball withdrawal symptoms
as his BLOG was the only continuous basketball reading in the greater Bangor area.

Thanks again Coach Walsh. You certainly helped a old senior citizen get through a long hot summer without to many symptoms of my needed daily basketball fix.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Blog: UM's Bob Walsh's latest 2 BLOGS, "Fighting a

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:52 am

NCAA basketball coaches among 10 facing federal corrupti
Postby basketball_guy » 28 Sep 2017 01:52

Hi Bob:

Yes, now my alma mater got hit. Alabama just fired the head of Basketball operations for the Crimson tide.
No one is saying very much. It just hit news today. On top of that Chuck Person former NBA star and Auburn star
got caught as well in an FBI sting.

By the way UMAINE just made a great hire for their basketball program. Namely, Bob Simon is joining the Coach
Walsh's staff. This guy is excellent. He knows his stuff and he is going to be a great Coach for the UMAINE BASKETBALL PROGRAM. Two years ago he recruited the fourth best basketball class in the country for Avery Johnson. Hiring Simon was the best decision Walsh has made.

I think you are going to start to see some great improvement in the basketball program irrespective of what happens this year with Coach Walsh. Just having Simon on the staff is going to make a big difference. If Walsh
is going to turn things around he needs a top Assistant like Simon who knows College Basketball in the Northeast.

This is the official article on Alabamas trouble. Hopefully this is as far as it went but it is hard to tell right now.

Alabama basketball administrator Kobie Baker's resignation on Wednesday is tied to the FBI investigation related to corruption and bribery in college basketball that also involves Auburn assistant Chuck Person, a source confirmed to AL.com.

Baker admitted during a meeting with Alabama officials on Wednesday to being "Staff Member 1" in the FBI complaint, according to a source.

According to the FBI complaint, Rashan Michel, who was arrested Tuesday, arranged a meeting with a confidential witness (CW-1) and someone referred to as "Staff Member 1" on or around May 3 during which CW-1 paid $5,000 to Staff Member 1 and $2,000 to Michel.

Alabama hoops staffer resigns, investigation begins
Alabama hoops staffer resigns, investigation begins
Alabama will review basketball program.

During that meeting, which CW-1 recorded, CW-1 asked Staff Member 1 if he had the ability to influence players at his school to retain CW-1's services as an advisor, which he said he did.

"If access and relationships and leading to where you need to be, and you know, helping with that...yeah, I can absolutely do that," he said in the complaint.

Then, on or around August 31, Michel set up a meeting at a restaurant in Atlanta with Staff Member 1, CW-1 and the father of a highly-ranked incoming freshman at Staff Member 1's school.

The purpose of the meeting, which CW-1 recorded on audio and video, was for Staff Member 1 to introduce the father to CW-1 in an effort to begin influencing the father to push his son to hire CW-1 upon turning pro.

ADVERTISING

During that meeting, CW-1 gave Michel approximately $10,000 in cash to give to Staff Member 1.

While the incoming player wasn't named, five-star point guard Collin Sexton is from the Atlanta area.

"Following yesterday's reports from New York regarding a Federal investigation of intercollegiate athletics, The University of Alabama Department of Athletics immediately initiated an internal review of our men's basketball operations," Crimson Tide athletic director Greg Byrne said in a statement released Wednesday night. "As a result, we have accepted the resignation effective today of Kobie Baker, a men's basketball administrator. Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions we have taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in our compliance efforts."
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017 ... a_and.html

Hopefully this becomes past history. Sorry but while I love Maine, Alabama and Maine are both
in the past for me. i do think that there is something to be learned from this mess that happened
to all these basketball schools. I think it will force a clean up in the way players are recruited.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 pm

basketball_guy wrote:http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/in_light_of_probe_alabama_and.html

Hopefully this becomes past history. Sorry but while I love Maine, Alabama and Maine are both
in the past for me. i do think that there is something to be learned from this mess that happened
to all these basketball schools. I think it will force a clean up in the way players are recruited.

basketball_guy: Great posts B_G. Very interesting, informative and timely. I agree hopefully this scandal will put other schools on Notice, but the NCAA has got to use some of their money to have a much better investigative force to keep checking on all 351 D-1 programs.

I wrote a BLOG on this today on my Bangor Daily News BLOG, "Off the Rim" asking if this is just the tip of the iceberg? and some possible solutions. Biggest problem is the NBA's minimum age rule of having to be 19 during the year of high school graduation to be eligible for the NBA draft.

I offered 8 possible solutions (with the NBA minimum age rule should be changed to just being a high school graduate to be eligible for the NBA draft as the most important proposed rule change solution) with the ideas of trying to even up the talent pool of all 351 men's D-1 teams. It has got to be more even and it cannot allow the rich to just keep getting richer and the poor just getting poorer under the current situation in recruiting. If you are interested just go to bangordailynews.com go to BLOGS. Posted it this morning @ 12:43am.

bcbc
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 am

I met Kobie Baker, Coach Avery Johnson and Bob Simon at our last alumni get together of former players. I don't pretend to understand what was going on with Kobie Baker.

Bob Simon would never get involved with the sort of stuff that was going on. That guy is a straight shooter when
it comes to this sort of stuff. He really knows how to recruit great players though and that includes former NBA players. Things happen but they happen at all Universities.

I will say this Maine is extremely lucky to get Bob Simon on their staff. I got to meet him at Alabama. I actually told him I wanted to see Alabama recruit more players from the Northeast. I think he will right in with Maine
and do a great job truthfully.

Bob Simon strikes me as a real good down to earth coach and I think he is going to do very well at Maine. I think Maines basketball fortunes have just taken a big turn on the upside. Maine needed someone with his skillset I think and it is going to pay dividends down the line I think. I would say this Bob Simons knows his basketball acumen....he is going to do extremely well at Maine.

He really is a great guy, I enjoyed chatting with him when he was at Alabama.
basketball_guy

Re: CIM's Blog: Responding to basketball_guys excellent pos

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

basketball_guy wrote:I met Kobie Baker, Coach Avery Johnson and Bob Simon at our last alumni get together of former players. I don't pretend to understand what was going on with Kobie Baker.

Bob Simon would never get involved with the sort of stuff that was going on. That guy is a straight shooter when
it comes to this sort of stuff. He really knows how to recruit great players though and that includes former NBA players. Things happen but they happen at all Universities.

I will say this Maine is extremely lucky to get Bob Simon on their staff. I got to meet him at Alabama. I actually told him I wanted to see Alabama recruit more players from the Northeast. I think he will right in with Maine
and do a great job truthfully.

Bob Simon strikes me as a real good down to earth coach and I think he is going to do very well at Maine. I think Maines basketball fortunes have just taken a big turn on the upside. Maine needed someone with his skillset I think and it is going to pay dividends down the line I think. I would say this Bob Simons knows his basketball acumen....he is going to do extremely well at Maine.

He really is a great guy, I enjoyed chatting with him when he was at Alabama.

basketball_guy: Another great and interesting post. Certainly like your extremely positive words of Bob Simon's basketball coaching experience and personality.

Hope you are right and that he can immediately help Maine turn things around for this coming season.

Do you know reasons he's coming to 2016-17 season's Pomeroy's D-1 Basketball team rankings of UMaine at 337th at 7-25 from 56th ranked Alabama at 19-15?

It couldn't be the differences of the locations of both schools and the difference in the winter weather.

However, UMaine is very lucky to get an experienced assistant coach like him. Hope he can convince Maine to go inside more offensively, have better shot selection and to play just 8 players when it comes conference regular season time.

Use the non-conference schedule for using double figure number of players, because of all the new 8 players and only 9 returnees to determine the 8 you use come conference play.

Good to have you back on MBR.
bcbc55

Re: CIM's Blog: Answering basketball_guys excellent posts

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 pm

I can not speak for Bob to be honest but I suspect it had something to do with some of the events that have
unfolded possibly. I just don't know for sure. I met him two years ago. Believe me he is going to be the shot in
the arm that Maine needs on the bench at least. But I know this he is a straight shooter. He does not mess around
and he runs a clean program as they say. I can assure that there won't be any "STUFF" going on with recruiting if
he gets involved.

If Walsh falters at some point, he is probably going to be the replacement but frankly I hope Walsh succeeds because I think they both need to be at Maine a while in order to bring back the program to its glory days.
It goes without saying that experience brings success. And Walsh has taken his lumps the past three years, but lets see how things go. Bob Simon has a lot of success under his belt and he has a very positive attitude with the young guys just coming in. He will do an excellent job and his recruiting speaks for itself. He was primarily responsible for getting Alabama the Number 5 recruiting class two years ago.

Give him some time...a change usually takes a while.
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics