Individual Training Sessions Worthwhile?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Individual Training Sessions Worthwhile?

Postby maineuncfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 am

I am looking for input (from coaches, players, parents, anyone) on how effective individual training sessions are for high school players. I see various people throughout the state promoting their training sessions as a way for players to improve and go to "the next level" (varsity and/or college). As a parent of a high school basketball player, I am wondering if individual training sessions are needed for him to improve. I hate to say "back in my day" because I'm not that old, but as a young player we were always told that playing against older, better players made you better and we would spend a lot of time playing pick up games on our own. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.
maineuncfan

Re: Individual Training Sessions Worthwhile?

Postby hoopsisme » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Great questions. I graduated in +8. Played against alot of older players which forces you to get better to compete. Older players typically gain game savvy. Training is fine BUT, they need to work on basic fundamentals. I hear all the time how player x plays on this travel team, trains with this guyetc, and that player has poor balance, can't use the off hand and are extremely inefficient with how they move. Practicing incorrect makes you better at doing it wrong.
hoopsisme

Postby imposter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 am

There is never a guarantee of getting to "the Next Level".
If your son could benefit from piano lessons, would your invest in them?
All depends who the basketball instructor is, goals and work ethic of the athlete involved, and understanding the game for starters.
imposter

Postby LennyH » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:08 pm

This is a great question (must be if it inspired me to post something) in terms of player development, I have several thoughts on it, they are all based on the assumption that the person you have chosen to do the training is someone who knows what they are doing and has some experience with the game.

Skill Development - When you are talking getting better at a specific skill, like shooting the ball, or ball handling putting in extra time to develop these skills with a trainer makes total sense, but a player can reach a saturation point. I have done shooting lessons for close to 30 years and I can tell you there comes a time when it's simply about the player now putting the time in ON THEIR OWN! Once they have mastered the skill - my feeling is their is no longer a need to pay someone to just "watch" over them. An occasional check it, at best, is all that's needed.

Offensive Moves - Here is where you just have to use common sense - I have seen so many kids who can dazzle in drills but can't incorporate it into games and most of the reasons can be attributed to the simple fact that when they are "training" they are not doing it against a live defender. IMO working on "offensive" moves without a live defender being added AND set up in a game situation scenario is a waste of time and money. For example something like "Catch at the wing, attack the basket move, no more than 3 dribbles (maximum) against a defender are all parts of the training that has to be in place or it becomes ineffectual in player development.

Finally, I think the biggest detriment to player development is the loss of the 3 vs 3 pick up games. Too me there is nothing more valuable then a couple of hours of 3 on 3 basketball. All the offensive concepts that are in 5 vs 5 full court can be done in 3 on 3, however, you have incredibly more touches involved for the players. I am hoping with the onset of the 3 vs 3 NBA endorsed league that there will be a trickle down effect and we will see the rebirth of 3 on 3.
LennyH

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur