Lewiston:: finds second gear, hands Maranacook first loss

post info & talk all things Soccer (BOYS)...

Postby SJ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:39 am

Hersi hat trick gives Lewiston 3-0 win over Brunswick

...Lewiston, behind three goals from Bilal Hersi, captured a 3-0 victory over Brunswick, which fell to 0-3 on the young season.

Blue Devils coach Mike McGraw preached the word “together” throughout the contest, hoping to see his talented squad play as one.

On the other side, Dragons leader Mark Roma, after watching his team allow 10 goals in losses to Mt. Blue and Edward Little to open the slate, was pleased with Brunswick’s effort despite the loss.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ck/2196051
Last edited by SJ on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
SJ

Lewiston:: holds off Mt. Ararat

Postby SJ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 am

Lewiston holds off Mt. Ararat in boys' soccer

...The field didn't appear to be a problem for either team, in terms of generating offense, though. Mt. Ararat’s Travis Nadeau came out swinging, scoring just a minute-and-a-half into the contest on a rebound from the top of the penalty box. Eagles coach Jack Rioux was pleased with his striker’s performance.

“He can just go,” Rioux said. “He’s got a motor, has lots of heart, tough, and a great player. He’s always going and makes the players around him better.”

Not to be outdone, Lewiston’s Bilal Hersi got the Blue Devils on the board after a throw-in pass from Ayub Hassan. Hersi got the ball on his foot, backed down the defender and turned to strike the ball into the top-right corner of the goal.

“He showed his flair and his desire, and that is huge,” McGraw said. “What a great game he had.”

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... er/2197063
SJ

Re: Lewiston:: Coach McGraw nominated for national award

Postby SJ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:57 am

Lewiston's McGraw "really honored and really humbled" to be nominated for national award

...The longtime Blue Devils boys' soccer coach is one of 50 nominees for U.S. Cellular's "Most Valuable Coach" contest. The company is looking to recognize "the best head and assistant high school athletic coaches" within U.S. Cellular's licensed markets, according to the contest's website.

"When I found out that I was being nominated I was surprised," McGraw said. "And now that I see how big of a deal it is I'm really honored and I'm really humbled because there are some great people, and after looking at some of the other nominees it's quite a group of people to be included with. So I felt elated, in a way, and humbled of course."

Lewiston Athletic Director Jason Fuller said a number of people put nominations in for McGraw when the contest was announced.

"Kind of it was a group effort," Fuller said.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... te/2207251
SJ

Lewiston:: jettisons Mt. Blue in double overtime

Postby SJ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:41 am

Lewiston jettisons Mt. Blue in double overtime

...“I needed to. My team needed me,” Hersi said. “I missed a couple of chances in the first half that I should have made and I needed to make that (goal).

“He (Mt. Blue goalie) made great saves. A shout out to him because he made great saves.

“I feel really great. It was a great moment, to be honest. I never expected it to happen, but those are a great group of boys and did not quit. 2-0 down — they played amazing. A shout out to them.”

But the Blue Devils didn’t seem to flinch when they fell behind to the Cougars.

“We talked about it that you have to maintain composure,” Lewiston coach Mike McGraw said. “One of the things I say all the time is that if there’s time on the clock, there’s time to win a game and they know that, and they put themselves in a hole and we just dug our way out.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ot/2207843
SJ

Re: Lewiston:: jettisons Mt. Blue in double overtime

Postby CM Newspapers » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:59 am

Lewiston’s Bilal Hersi nets golden goal over Mt. Blue boys soccer
Blue Devils come all the way back from two-goal deficit.

...An on-running Hersi made no mistake in finishing it off for the winning goal.

“It was an amazing moment,” Hersi said. “It was a great moment. We’re resilient. We come back when we need to. We have a strong group of boys.”

“He creates problems because he makes you forget about him, and then he explodes and he’ll come out of nowhere,” Mt. Blue coach Joel Smith said. “He’s definitely a talented player. He creates some issues, and at the end of the game he was right there. He was their guy.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/28/ ... soccer-ot/
CM Newspapers

Postby SJ » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 am

Lewiston finds second gear, hands Maranacook first loss

...The speed won out, in the form of Class A North contender Lewiston, which left Ricky Gibson Field of Dreams with a 3-0 KVAC boys' soccer victory over Class C South leader Maranacook.

"I expected it to be a hard-fought game, and it was," Lewiston coach Mike McGraw said. "We got out of here with a win, and I'm very happy. Plus the fact that Maranacook being worth a lot of points helps us too."

The game matched up the physical and towering presence of the host Black Bears (10-1) and the speed and skill of the visiting Blue Devils (8-1-2). Those differing styles made for a fairly quiet first half, with few scoring chances and even fewer shots.

Both teams best early chances came off free kicks, with Maranacook pushing a set-piece chance just wide nine minutes in, and Lewiston clanging a header off the right post with 14 minutes left before halftime.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... ss/2210530
SJ

Re: Lewiston:: finds second gear, hands Maranacook first los

Postby CM Newspapers » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 am

Lewiston hands Maranacook boys soccer first loss of season
Blue Devils able to crack Black Bears' back four.

...“They’re probably the best offensive team that you’re going to see,” Maranacook coach Don Beckwith said. “They’re at a much faster pace, and they’re used to playing at that pace. I’d like to play them four or five times, because I bet we could play with them. We just don’t play at that pace.

“I thought it was wonderful. I loved this game.”

Ahmed Hussein capped a nice run of possession for the Blue Devils over the final 20 minutes of the opening half, producing the game’s first goal in the 36th minute.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/10/03/ ... of-season/
CM Newspapers

Return to Soccer (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur