Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Postby MBRer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:30 am

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately.

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

In April, a 19-person task force comprised of commissioners, athletic directors, coaches, and student-athletes initially assembled under the name of Division I Transfer Working Group. Their mission was to bring a fresh approach to the often publicly maligned transfer process. Although earlier groups had been formed in prior years under similar missions, the Transfer Working Group was given more data, while also tasked with the goal of trying to create uniformity within the transfer process.

By late June, the Transfer Working Group made progress on creating uniformity in transfer rules. They contemplated two polar-opposite options: the first was to require every student-athlete to sit out a year, while the second option was to enable every student-athlete to be immediately eligible upon transferring to a new school, as long as they achieved a minimum GPA designed to lead the student-athlete ultimately to graduate.

http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Ma ... -107001121
MBRer

Re: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

Postby MBRer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 am

2017 D1 Basketball Transfers
Total 2017 Transfers To Date: 847

list: https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017
MBRer

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 am

MBRer wrote:Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules
In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, .....
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TAL1957

Postby thebam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 am

In pro sports we call this free agency. I predict this ends up being a total $hit $how.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 am

There has to be some sort of extra incentive to stay at a school, perhaps losing the right to the cost of attendance stipend when transferring between Division I schools.
dunbar

Postby BDN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:44 am

NCAA Division-1 could possibly eliminate sit out transfer rule

After seeing the UMaine men’s basketball team lose 11 players combined the past two seasons and the women’s basketball team lose 5 this past season the possibility of having the NCAA D-1 transfer 1 year sit out rule could possibly be eliminated is a little disheartening especially if you are a UMaine basketball fan or a fan of any other UMaine sport.

Not having to sit out a year would only increase the transfers as the biggest deterant currently is having to sit out a year.

This proposed change would be for all NCAA D-1 athletics.

http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/20 ... sfer-rule/
BDN

Postby fafan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 am

Don't always agree with you Coach Cim but on this issue you are spot on :D
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 am

On the other hand...maybe UM will not be able to sit on crappy coaches for years (decades?) because a constant carousel of roster transfers would be disastrous for a program...as we have witnessed all too well. :| :roll:
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:48 am

fafan wrote:Don't always agree with you Coach Cim but on this issue you are spot on :D

fafan: No problem with not always agreeing with me, fafan, as it makes me do more thinking about my ideas even at my old age.

What is that old saying, "the law of averages"?

Thanks for the post.
bcbc55

Postby WFVX » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:07 am

New proposed rule could drastically change transfer landscape across all NCAA sports

ORONO - One of the gripes people have with college basketball is the one-and-done revolving door that has hinged itself on major programs. Now there very well could be a similar situation across all conferences.

NCAA members are discussing a new rule that will allow athletes in all sports to transfer to a different program. The catch is that they will be eligible immediately.

http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/21 ... caa-sports
WFVX

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics