Monmouth:: shakes stubborn Spruce Mountain

post info & talk all things Soccer (BOYS)...

Monmouth:: shakes stubborn Spruce Mountain

Postby CM Newspapers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:42 am

Monmouth boys soccer goes on the counter-attack against Mt. Abram
Late goal lifts Mustangs to season-opening MVC win.

...Monmouth Academy did it to Mt. Abram on Saturday, snapping a draw with senior Nate Camire’s goal in the 75th minute en route to a 3-2 season-opening win in Mountain Valley Conference boys soccer.

Camire’s goal came just 11 minutes after the Roadrunners had pulled back a two-goal deficit in the second half.

“They counter well and quick, and they caught us off guard a couple of times,” Mt. Abram coach Darren Allen said of Monmouth. “We got away from our bread and butter which is possession, and in the last 15 minutes we got into boot ball and weren’t able to mount anything. We weren’t connecting the dots. We were just kicking it, and it’s not our style.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/02/ ... -mt-abram/
Last edited by CM Newspapers on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM Newspapers

Monmouth:: Pomerleau’s golden goal lifts team over Hall-Dale

Postby CM Newspapers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:57 am

Pomerleau’s golden goal lifts Monmouth boys soccer over Hall-Dale
Mustangs remain unbeaten with win over rival.

...“I had faith in Nate,” Pomerleau said. “Whenever he wins a 50-50 ball, he’s skilled enough to play that ball across to the far post. I stayed there. I didn’t have enough time for a touch, so I went for the scissor kick.

“I saw that the defender was going to miss it over his head, and I didn’t want to take the chance of it hitting the turf or anything.”

As the Mustangs (5-0-0) filed onto the pitch to begin the extra session, Monmouth head coach Joe Fletcher pulled Pomerleau aside.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/14/ ... hall-dale/
CM Newspapers

Re: Monmouth:: shakes stubborn Spruce Mountain

Postby SJ » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:13 am

Monmouth shakes stubborn Spruce Mountain

...Coulombe punched in the winning goal with 7:23 left to provide the undefeated Mustangs (9-0-1) with a 3-2 victory over the Phoenix (1-8) in a physical soccer game Monday, which saw yellow cards aplenty.

The shoving-and-pushing match was all part of the show, and tempers flared with all that jostling going on, but a focused Coulombe seemed to ignore it all when he scored the deciding and unassisted goal.

"(The goalie) was on the ground and I knew I probably had about maybe a foot to shoot it … and I was confident in myself taking the shot," Coulombe said. "I think we should have really capitalized on a lot more opportunities. We should have beat them by a lot more than we did.

"We didn't capitalize on our shots, but we controlled the game."

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... in/2209990
SJ

Return to Soccer (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur