Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby fafan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:12 am

thebam wrote:Coach, this has been happening for years. Not new to this year. Enough is enough. The odds of making a 2 point conversion are better than making an XP at this point. Making a 4th down conversion and keeping a drive going , probably equal or better percentage of that as well. It's laughable.


I know you can't follow games from Oak. but for crying out loud to say abolish the kicking game is what happened last year and we lost games b/c we woudln't even attempt a FG inside the 20yd line and our opponents knew it. I agree with BZ do not pin this all on Doak, backup holder, frosh snapper. The outcome sucked but I was really pleased the defense, especially run D.

If UNH is as good as it has been in the past I like our chances going forward when we get the suspended players back. ;)
fafan
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby dunbar » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 am

Quite frankly, if this was the result against any other opponent, I'd be much more fine with it.

But it was New Hampshire. And that just friggin' sucks.
dunbar
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby maine612 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:11 am

Awful loss. Sick to my stomach. Just devastating to our chances of making playoffs. Yes team did some good things but there really isn't time for moral victories. Simply have to make kicks at this level. I really wanted them to go for two at 24-23 and when the kick was missed..... ugh. Hard to recover with upcoming schedule.

612
User avatar
maine612
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:56 am

Blind Zebra wrote:It's true that Maine's place kicking has struggled over the years. Last year was the low point. How soon we forget that Sean DeCloux was actually an All CAA kicker until he broke down as a senior due to an injury. Doak missed a couple of kicks last night in his first college game. Did anyone notice how high the snap was on the extra point miss? True freshman snapper, true freshman kicker and second string holder. Let's not write the kid off after one game.


BZ: Not Doak's fault, team effort, If that was the case freshmen snapper, second string holder and true freshmen kicker then why didn't Maine go for a 2 point conversion to win the game?

One play does not a game result make, but many plays.

I do not blame the kicker. Missed field goals or extra points are usually of the offensive line's poor protection 1st, the snapper 2nd, the holder 3rd and the kicker last.

If there is poor offensive line protection it rushes a poor snap it makes it harder for the holder to get a good ball placement for the kicker.....that goes for any level high school, college or pro.

Time and patience, and neither comes in a bottle, but this prescription has got to work immediately or it will possibly be a repeat of last year.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby UMaineDad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:10 pm

The snaps were good, the placements was fine. The kid just missed he damn uprights. Plain and simple. Just before the missed extra point, I said to my buddy "We should go for 2!" In that game situation, it made perfect sense to go for the win! There was plenty of time on the clock and the defense was in shut-down mode!

Coaches simply made a bad call as if they were playing "not to lose," instead of playing to win. Instead of winning the damn game, they were hoping that he "Football Gods" granted them the victory!

UNH surrendered the victory and the Musket to Maine almost the entire second half. Coaches didn't take it. It was as if they did not believe they deserved to have it! Coaches have to adopt a "play to win" mentality in situations like that and start expecting to win!

NO MORE CHOIRBOY COACHING...IT'S TIME TO GET NASTY DAMMIT!
UMaineDad
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 pm

UMaineDad wrote:The snaps were good, the placements was fine. The kid just missed he damn uprights. Plain and simple. Just before the missed extra point, I said to my buddy "We should go for 2!" In that game situation, it made perfect sense to go for the win! There was plenty of time on the clock and the defense was in shut-down mode!

Coaches simply made a bad call as if they were playing "not to lose," instead of playing to win. Instead of winning the damn game, they were hoping that he "Football Gods" granted them the victory!

UNH surrendered the victory and the Musket to Maine almost the entire second half. Coaches didn't take it. It was as if they did not believe they deserved to have it! Coaches have to adopt a "play to win" mentality in situations like that and start expecting to win!

NO MORE CHOIRBOY COACHING...IT'S TIME TO GET NASTY DAMMIT!


UMaineDad: Blind Zebra posted on two separate posts that on the missed extra point attempting to tie the game that the snap was HIGH on this thread!

I didn't see the game, so I will go with Blind Zebra as he has always been accurate in his UMaine Men's basketball posts over the past few years.

I have always trusted his opinions and statements.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby augie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
UMaineDad wrote:The snaps were good, the placements was fine. The kid just missed he damn uprights. Plain and simple. Just before the missed extra point, I said to my buddy "We should go for 2!" In that game situation, it made perfect sense to go for the win! There was plenty of time on the clock and the defense was in shut-down mode!

Coaches simply made a bad call as if they were playing "not to lose," instead of playing to win. Instead of winning the damn game, they were hoping that he "Football Gods" granted them the victory!

UNH surrendered the victory and the Musket to Maine almost the entire second half. Coaches didn't take it. It was as if they did not believe they deserved to have it! Coaches have to adopt a "play to win" mentality in situations like that and start expecting to win!

NO MORE CHOIRBOY COACHING...IT'S TIME TO GET NASTY DAMMIT!


UMaineDad: Blind Zebra posted on two separate posts that on the missed extra point attempting to tie the game that the snap was HIGH on this thread!

I didn't see the game, so I will go with Blind Zebra as he has always been accurate in his UMaine Men's basketball posts over the past few years.

I have always trusted his opinions and statements.


Hot take Cim. Please tell us what you think of the oblong ball used in football.
augie
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:47 pm

augie wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
UMaineDad wrote:The snaps were good, the placements was fine. The kid just missed he damn uprights. Plain and simple. Just before the missed extra point, I said to my buddy "We should go for 2!" In that game situation, it made perfect sense to go for the win! There was plenty of time on the clock and the defense was in shut-down mode!

Coaches simply made a bad call as if they were playing "not to lose," instead of playing to win. Instead of winning the damn game, they were hoping that he "Football Gods" granted them the victory!

UNH surrendered the victory and the Musket to Maine almost the entire second half. Coaches didn't take it. It was as if they did not believe they deserved to have it! Coaches have to adopt a "play to win" mentality in situations like that and start expecting to win!

NO MORE CHOIRBOY COACHING...IT'S TIME TO GET NASTY DAMMIT!


UMaineDad: Blind Zebra posted on two separate posts that on the missed extra point attempting to tie the game that the snap was HIGH on this thread!

I didn't see the game, so I will go with Blind Zebra as he has always been accurate in his UMaine Men's basketball posts over the past few years.

I have always trusted his opinions and statements.


Hot take Cim. Please tell us what you think of the oblong ball used in football.


augie: I apologize. Won't be more redundant then I have been in over using what I think about that 2 ended pointed ball.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9509
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fafan and 61 guests