Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Seriously???? Two years in a row?????

Gotta be someone up there that can kick a damn ball.

-the dude
thedude

Re: Open Tryout for Kicker Monday at UMaine

Postby dunbar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 pm

No wonder we've always had an awful kicking game, Doak is apparently the first full scholarship kicker in school history.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Before we blame Doak for this loss.....we should look toward the selfishness & stupidity of the 5 suspended players. Nice job you bunch of dumb f*cks. :roll: One or more of them could have helped make a difference. How many years in a row of this off-season sh*t? :roll: :oops: Some things never change... :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 pm

Should be noted that Spencer Carey (listed as the starting holder), was one of the five suspended.
dunbar

Postby Blind Zebra » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 pm

In fairness to Doak, the snap was high on his missed point after. He was forced to rush the kick and pushed it to the right.
The whole operation: snapping, holding and kicking needs refinement. In warm ups the ball jumped off his foot. In game the kicks had a low trajectory and did not look like he was hitting them cleanly. On a positive note, Briggs did a nice job on kickoffs and after a weak first punt, Deoul's punting was solid.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:33 pm

Does anyone know what type of extra point/field goal Kicker Doak is. Soccer style or Lou Groza style straight on not at an angle like soccer kickers?

I shouldn't assume, but I haven't seen many straight on Lou Groza kickers for a long time. Straight on kickers like Groza get the ball up higher faster and their ball to me seems stronger and more accurate, but maybe not as good for long distances. More blocked kicks by soccer style then the Lou Groza style and Groza style gets ball off quicker and they are lined up straight to the target, not lined up at an angle.

I didn't see the game online so I need some help.

Is it true that Doak is the first scholarship kicker for field goals and extra points in the school's history?

Dunbar where did you get that scholarship stat?

Dunbar also make a good point that the regular holder was not available.

That is hard to believe.

So Maine was 2 for 3 extra points and 1 for 3 on field goals?

Where I am a roundballer and not a pointed baller what do I know about kicking?

I just know when we were kids in high school I could kick field goals from 50 yards using the straight on Lou Groza style when in high school. (Used to go to Garland St. Field in Bangor (Now known as Cameron Stadium and just a half a mile from my home) and kick field goals.

However, the hih school football coach wouldn't let me on the team unless I played a position. I used to kid him when I saw him later after I had graduated and specialization in kickers came into football and remind him that I was just a kicker before my time in the mid 50's.

I will admit that it was without an opposing defense, but many times I had a snapper, and a holder and sometimes just a tee to hold the ball when I kicked. It was fun as I remember and of course NO PRESSURE.

But I did have enough leg strength to get the ball over the goal posts from the 40 yard line using the straight on Lou Groza style. Counting the 10 yards from the goal line to the goal posts that made it a 50 yarder in distance.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:38 pm

Abolish the kicking game. Period. No more FG. No more XP. Just ****ing go for it on 4th down and go for 2 every time. How could that be worse? This is *****ing embarrassing year after year. Pathetic. Totally embarrassing and unnecessary. Handed a victory to ****ing unh.
Who thought it was a good idea to put a damn kicker on a full ride? He needs a full ride right off campus. :oops:
thebam

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:58 pm

thebam wrote:Abolish the kicking game. Period. No more FG. No more XP. Just ****ing go for it on 4th down and go for 2 every time. How could that be worse? This is *****ing embarrassing year after year. Pathetic. Totally embarrassing and unnecessary. Handed a victory to ****ing unh.
Who thought it was a good idea to put a damn kicker on a full ride? He needs a full ride right off campus. :oops:

thebam: Question? Are the snapper and holder on scholarships?

It certainly Takes teamwork to kick field goals and extra points.
1. A good snap from center
2. A good hold placement by the holder
3. A good kick by the kicker.

If one of the three don't do their job correctly then usually there is a miss.

Agree with you 100% bam. If MAINE CAN'T find a snapper, holder or kicker do their jobs correctly 99% of the time on EX PTs and depending on the kicker's leg strength for different distances for FG's, then don;t kick any field goals or extra points. Just go for the first downs and the 2 point conversion as you pointed out.
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 am

Coach, this has been happening for years. Not new to this year. Enough is enough. The odds of making a 2 point conversion are better than making an XP at this point. Making a 4th down conversion and keeping a drive going , probably equal or better percentage of that as well. It's laughable.
thebam

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:08 am

It's true that Maine's place kicking has struggled over the years. Last year was the low point. How soon we forget that Sean DeCloux was actually an All CAA kicker until he broke down as a senior due to an injury. Doak missed a couple of kicks last night in his first college game. Did anyone notice how high the snap was on the extra point miss? True freshman snapper, true freshman kicker and second string holder. Let's not write the kid off after one game.
Blind Zebra

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics