Pretty Good Afghanistan Address

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Pretty Good Afghanistan Address

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Looking directly into the sun during an eclipse apparently didn't impact Trump's ability to read a teleprompter. It was a relatively well delivered speech. Lots to like including better rules of engagement, a tougher line on Pakistan, and demanding more from India while obviously warning China about a stronger relationship.

And a clear win for "his generals" and a pimp slap to isolationist nationalism. Bannon must be rolling over in his grave. Now before you try to correct me just look at him and tell me that he hasn't been dead for several years.

Let's hope that this clear sign of Kelly's influence holds and that Donnie doesn't undermine it with another round of tweets.
Mike Tomlin

Re: Pretty Good Afghanistan Address

Postby hawksfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 pm

I was particularly happy with the statement that we are not "nation building" anymore. Good. That is a fool's errand that always seems to blow us up politically & gets our guys killed with absurd rules of engagement, all the while failing to achieve the stated objective i.e., a modernized, westernized state.

Still...what's the objective in Afghanistan? I know, victory...but how is "victory" defined? Sixteen years already we've been there, whats the purpose of staying there? Do we fear a repeat of post withdrawal Iraq? Are our soldiers there as de facto police force propping up weak national government? A government most Afghanis don't trust and, being an overwhelmingly tribal society, just ignore? I wish I could sit with James Mattis & ask these questions.

In a more sane, alternative universe this is what the UN should be for. The UN should have been working with the Afghans for decades, assisting their society in modernizing & moving away from the tribal culture into a more cohesive national unit. Because to my mind, with no plan to defeat the sharia Islamist ideaology of the Taliban that dominates their culture, victory cannot be achieved.
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:09 pm

First let's hope that Trump doesn't create a scene from "Birth of a Nation" in Phoenix tonight. He needs to lead without the cheap rush of a campaign rally. We won't win any wars if he can't find the strength to move beyond his base.

The UN is just a show pony. But real alliances still matter. NATO was a crucial part of winning the Cold War. Failing to affirm our loyalty has consequences in Afghanistan.
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:First let's hope that Trump doesn't create a scene from "Birth of a Nation" in Phoenix tonight. He needs to lead without the cheap rush of a campaign rally. We won't win any wars if he can't find the strength to move beyond his base.

The UN is just a show pony. But real alliances still matter. NATO was a crucial part of winning the Cold War. Failing to affirm our loyalty has consequences in Afghanistan.

Agreed...

The UN is a toxic show pony; a vipers nest of anti-semitism. With that in mind, the 15-0 security council vote on new sanctions on the NORKS was downright miraculous.

While Trumpy's loyalty affirmation of NATO article V was tardy, he did make that during his Poland speech...

As far as Afghanistan goes there is an obdurance to those people that is....honorable. They are who they are & have resisted outsider influence for multiple centuries. In our vernacular....it's how they roll. Maybe "victory" can be defined as "finally, for once & for all, can we agree...we leave you alone, you leave us alone & you don't allow terrorists to plot global mayhem on your soil"...?
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 am

We tried that after we helped them beat the Soviets, and they thanked us on 9/11. I supported the invasion of Iraq, but I was wrong. If we'd focused our energy on Afghanistan instead we'd be in much better shape now.

But Trump went right back to infantile whining last night, so it's pointless to pretend that we've got a coherent strategy. We won't win anything with him in the White House. At best we'll avoid another Civil War.
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 am

Mike Tomlin wrote:We tried that after we helped them beat the Soviets, and they thanked us on 9/11. I supported the invasion of Iraq, but I was wrong. If we'd focused our energy on Afghanistan instead we'd be in much better shape now.

But Trump went right back to infantile whining last night, so it's pointless to pretend that we've got a coherent strategy. We won't win anything with him in the White House. At best we'll avoid another Civil War.

We're in the same choir on your first paragraph. And I agree about the whining...both about the BHG/Charlottesville coverage as well as while not naming names, naming McCain & Flake as adversaries. Pointless + no upside. He'd have been better off pardoning Arapaio & touting 1000+ federal regulations jettisoned etc. General Kelly just to keep at it...Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Still...the decision to forego Obama-esque micromanaging the battlefield from the Oval leaves open the hope that the military operations & strategy will be overseen by experts not faculty lounge philosophers...
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 am

It is important to note that there are some amazing patriots serving in this administration. Working for this clown must be horrible.
Mike Tomlin

Return to Politics