WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire (GAME THREAD)

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 am

Well according to the PPH Ferguson looked like the most impressive QB of the day and was leading the #1 offense. The next week is going to be real interesting as Coach H has already said he would like to name the starting QB after the next scrimmage.
I thought Ferguson looked very poised last year in the scrimmages. I just expected Staver as a senior to be the leading candidate but like Coach H said we will put the best 11 players on the field regardless of experience. Certainly not looking like the 3 suspended players will be available for UNH, lets just hope this investigation is over quickly and the team can move forward. :(
Way to go red shirt frosh Hunter Smith catching a TD from true frosh QB Robinson. Truly believe Hunter will make a difference on this team!!!
fafan

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm

And, as much fun and promise as the QB slot is, anything positive yet about a placekicker who can reliably make 30-yd FGs ? In my dream world, we'd also have a punter who boots it 45-yards with at least some altitude ? Kinda like top-level college football ?? :)
TAL1957

Postby dunbar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 pm

TAL1957 wrote:And, as much fun and promise as the QB slot is, anything positive yet about a placekicker who can reliably make 30-yd FGs ? In my dream world, we'd also have a punter who boots it 45-yards with at least some altitude ? Kinda like top-level college football ?? :)

Doane and Deoul looked good yesterday. Spencer Carey looks to be the holder this year as well.
dunbar

Postby dunbar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Scrimmage today postponed, no details yet.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm

dunbar wrote:Scrimmage today postponed, no details yet.

Hmm, I was thinking about making the ride in to watch that would have sucked. Nothing on facebook except that the Fenway game is a 4pm kickoff that I think was announced earlier. :(
fafan

Postby dunbar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Second scrimmage on Friday, no third scrimmage. Starters expected to be named on Saturday and then the last 12 days are strictly prep for New Hampshire.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am

dunbar wrote:Second scrimmage on Friday, no third scrimmage. Starters expected to be named on Saturday and then the last 12 days are strictly prep for New Hampshire.

Outstanding. It's about to get real!!!!
thebam

Postby fafan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 am

thebam wrote:
dunbar wrote:Second scrimmage on Friday, no third scrimmage. Starters expected to be named on Saturday and then the last 12 days are strictly prep for New Hampshire.

Outstanding. It's about to get real!!!!

Reading the PPH they say the reason for the postponement of the scrimmage till Friday was both the lines are beaten up, nothing serious but enough where it didn't make sense to scrimmage yesterday. Talk about an important scrimmage, sounds like the QB that performs well on Friday will get the nod. Reading between the lines Coach H makes a point to say that just b/c you are an upper classman, ie Belcher and Staver, that doesn't mean you will get the start. I am going with Ferguson the red shirt freshman as the starter.
fafan

Postby dunbar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 am

I haven't seen him live yet, but I'm becoming more and more in the Ferguson camp. I just want them to go with the best option, but the idea of a potential four-year starter (first since Whitcomb) is really intriguing.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:14 am

dunbar wrote:I haven't seen him live yet, but I'm becoming more and more in the Ferguson camp. I just want them to go with the best option, but the idea of a potential four-year starter (first since Whitcomb) is really intriguing.

Everything I hear about the true freshman Robinson, is that he will be challenging for a starting spot in the not too distant future.
fafan

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics