Did Bangor Sr. Legion get short changed in shortened game

post info & talk all things baseball...

Did Bangor Sr. Legion get short changed in shortened game

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 pm

After reading the game results of the baseball game that the Bangor Senior Legion team was eliminated in the double elimination Northeast regional tournament in Massachusets this past weekend I talked with several local Bangor area baseball experts about what they thought about the Coffee News Bangor team's shortened game to 7 innings when all other games were 9 innings prior to Saturday's games which because of rain the games where shortened from 9 innings to 7 innings.

Some games including the Bangor team's game was moved off the original tournament site.

With a trip to the national legion seniors tournament at stake the experts and I all agreed that the games should never have been shortened from 9 innings to 7 innings, especially in the elimination games. Changing the site was bad enough but all the tournament games should have been 9 complete innings to be fair.

Not being a baseball person per sae, but being a former high school basketball coach and athletic administrator the move to me and the baseball experts feel that the teams that lost in 7 inning games not only got shortened games they got truly short changed by the decision to shorten games to 7 innings.

Knowing Bangor coach Dave Morris he would never complain about this situation or use it as an excuse, that is just not in his makeup.

In fact, he did not mention it at all in his comments after the game in media write ups on Monday.

My other question is how many of the 9 inning games were decided in the 8th or 9th inning? Where the 3 games on Sunday for the championship shortened, I doubt it. Couldn't they have played 9 innings and then have those shortened games played on Saturday played on Sunday as there were only 2 or 3 games scheduled.

So why was the decision made to shorten the games on Saturday? Better to play late into the evening to get all games to be 9 innings. It was bad enough to have to move the game off the original tournament site.

Bangor finished fourth in the tournament at 2-2. It is just to bad that after probably traveling the farthest of any team in the tourney not get to play those 2 innings in a win or go home game.

I can remember years ago a mpa tournament overtime basketball game at the old Bangor Auditorium that didn't get done to well after midnight because of the overtimes and because of a leaky roof that kept putting water on the playing court. They didn't shorten the game to 4-7 minute periods instead of the regulation 4-8 minute periods just to get the game in before mid-night.

Just my opinion and of course being a Bangor native and fan it was a tough way to see the Bangor Coffee team eliminated in a shortened 7 inning game by a run one margin 3-2.

If the games are set for 9 inning games then they should all be nine inning games and not shortened just to get them done.

Maybe I am all wet just like the weather that caused the shortened games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Re: Did Bangor Sr. Legion get short changed in shortened gam

Postby baseballdad16 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 am

Sometime mother nature and baseball don't work well together. Limited amount of time to get in a lot of games. At least Bangor had a chance to compete, I have seen summer girl's softball tournaments that just ended due to weather and whoever had the best record won. Kudos to the coach for not making this an issue.
baseballdad16

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:09 pm

baseballdad16 wrote:Sometime mother nature and baseball don't work well together. Limited amount of time to get in a lot of games. At least Bangor had a chance to compete, I have seen summer girl's softball tournaments that just ended due to weather and whoever had the best record won. Kudos to the coach for not making this an issue.

baseballdad16: I understand where you are coming from and I agree to some degree. However, this was a qualifying tournament to the Senior Legion World Series.

4 games were played on Saturday that were shortened to just 7 innings and all those games were completed by 8:00pm.

I understand that the decision to play 7 innings Saturday was because of the weather and the threat of poor weather, BUT AND THAT IS A BIG BUT, if they tried to go 9 innings they could have got them in and still be done before 10:00pm. They could have played to midnight in order to get these 4games the official 9 innings.

As I said in my post how many of the games that went 9 innings were decided in the 8th or 9th inning.

I know the Bangor coach personally and he would never second guess the decision or complain as he is a first class individual. He handled it much better then my baseball experts and myself did as fans.

Who knows what would have happened if they had played 2 more innings in a one run game.

I still feel the Bangor team was short changed by the shortened game which was a short decision.

In baseball, you have to have a plan to make all the games the same length (in this case 9 innings) especially when it is a qualifying regional tournament for the National tournament in case of inclement weather even if it means going an extra day in the planning.
bcbc55

Postby TheMike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Couldda, wouldda, shouldda. But in this case I wholeheartedly agree with Cim. At this level there is a huge difference between a 7 inning game and a 9 inning game, especially when pitching may be getting thin and a pitch count is involved.
TheMike

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm

TheMike wrote:Couldda, wouldda, shouldda. But in this case I wholeheartedly agree with Cim. At this level there is a huge difference between a 7 inning game and a 9 inning game, especially when pitching may be getting thin and a pitch count is involved.

TheMike: Excellent point about pitching maybe getting thin and the pitch count mounting.

I do like the pitch count for legion baseball. Good move that protects young arms. It is pitches thrown not inning pitched.
bcbc55

Postby jmoney » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am

Did i like the fact it was shortend to 7 no do i feel things coulda worked out different yes ,but strewsberry played a good game and no use fratting about it ,im extramely proud of my team for how far we got and how well we played against great competition .i wouldnt trade These guys for any other team . It was an honor to be apart of it . Thank you and have a good day!
jmoney

Postby bulldog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:12 am

jmoney wrote:Did i like the fact it was shortend to 7 no do i feel things coulda worked out different yes ,but strewsberry played a good game and no use fratting about it ,im extramely proud of my team for how far we got and how well we played against great competition .i wouldnt trade These guys for any other team . It was an honor to be apart of it . Thank you and have a good day!

Well said jmoney. It is good to keep things in perspective. It was a great season by your Bangor Comrades.
bulldog

Postby jmoney » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank you sir it was an extremely postive experience despite the endin, we played a great ball game that 7th inng change was out of our control , and it was a dream come true to finish my career a state champion and make a great run at regionals..i got no regrets !
jmoney

Postby baseballdad16 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 am

I know it wont make the Bangor team feel any better but the American Legion World Series games are now 7 innings due to weather, so indeed it does happen even at the highest level. My son played against the Bangor team at Husson (State Tournament) and they were a very solid well balanced team and represented Maine well and should be proud of the season they had.
baseballdad16

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur