UMaine new shared revenue approach to fundraising

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine new shared revenue approach to fundraising

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 am

UMaine taking lead in athletic fundraising, reducing need for boosters groups

... Jordan feels the new approach certainly does have the capability of bringing in more money than the individual boosters groups but he warned that the erosion of the boosters groups could have a negative impact.

“The Friends groups gave the members a chance to be more involved with the program. If they don’t feel as much a part of it, it could hurt attendance,” said Jordan. “It remains to be seen. You don’t want to drive people away. You need to bring them in.”

Jordan said the alums looked forward to the Friends of Maine Hockey golf tournament every year but many of them won’t play in the one big annual tournament.

Former UMaine football coach Cosgrove countered by saying, “We had 120 players at our (Friends of Maine Football) tournament last year and maybe only 25 to 30 showed up at this outing (at Belgrade Lakes). We may have lost a big number but it’s a shared revenue and this tournament is a step up from what ours was.”

Cherie Damon, president of the Friends of Maine Hockey, said she isn’t sure if she will stay involved.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/04/s ... rs-groups/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: UMaine new shared revenue approach to fundraising

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 am

Tom Nolette wrote:UMaine taking lead in athletic fundraising, reducing need for boosters groups

Former UMaine football coach Cosgrove countered by saying, “We had 120 players at our (Friends of Maine Football) tournament last year and maybe only 25 to 30 showed up at this outing (at Belgrade Lakes). We may have lost a big number but it’s a shared revenue and this tournament is a step up from what ours was.”

WOW ! Just W-O-W !! Sad days to be a UMaine alum. We put these folks in these positions WHY ?????
TAL1957

Postby dunbar » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:19 am

If it brings in more money overall, through a centralized entity, and people can still donate to a specific cause, how is this anything but a good thing?
dunbar

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 am

Black Bear Nation‏Verified account @BlackBearNation 19h19
Thank you to everyone who made the first annual Alfond Classic Golf Tournament a success! #BlackBearNation
video: https://twitter.com/BlackBearNation/sta ... 8478345217
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby thebam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:50 am

dunbar wrote:If it brings in more money overall, through a centralized entity, and people can still donate to a specific cause, how is this anything but a good thing?

The key to this whole thing is that Coaches no longer have to fundraise ( as much?) . They get to do what they were hired to do. Recruit, develop talent and coach on game day. That's my biggest take away. I can still send my check and ask for it to go to baseball. Nothing changes for me.
thebam

Postby thebam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 am

TAL1957 wrote:
Tom Nolette wrote:UMaine taking lead in athletic fundraising, reducing need for boosters groups

WOW ! Just W-O-W !! Sad days to be a UMaine alum. We put these folks in these positions WHY ?????

Expound on this. What part do you not like? I think the overall health of the Athletic program will improve.
thebam

Postby bulldog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:55 am

Dunbar and Bam,
Agree with the both of you....if more moeny is raised yet people can still designate monies to the program(s) of their choice and it allows coaches to do more of what they are hired to do, coach, then it is a no lose concept. I would think that the coaches would still be involved, but to a much lesser extent.
bulldog

Postby dunbar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm

A lot of the outrage related to this stems from the end of Friends of Maine Hockey. Some people are also upset that if they donate to a specific program, the matching funds doesn't necessarily go to the same program, but to where the greatest need is. Others view this as something that hurts the hockey program and only helps football because Cosgrove was the one quoted in the BDN (the irrational dislike for Jack by hockey fans astounds me). What people don't understand is that donations don't necessarily add to a budget, but reduce the need for institutional funds. Any additional money going into the department is a good thing.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Jack Cosgrove is now where he belongs.....schmoozing the golf course and cheerleading from the sidelines.
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm

thebam wrote: Expound on this. What part do you not like? I think the overall health of the Athletic program will improve.
I'm just thinkin that a lot of donors like being a "Friend" of a specific sport (like you, and I, with UMaine Baseball ?), and won't be as interested in simply donating to UMaine sports in general. Yeah, we can send in the check and specify we'd "like it" to go to baseball, .... but ..... How many of us would just prefer to send it to "Friends of ...... " ??
TAL1957

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics