WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire (GAME THREAD)

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 am

Bob Lucy‏ @BobLucy51
Fifty days until @BlackBearsFB plays UNH. Maine has played UNH 105 times and has a 4-1-1 record against UNH in season openers. #Throwdown
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
User avatar
Tom Nolette
owner
 
Posts: 71269
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: Maine

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby dunbar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 am

The suspensions concern me, although mostly for Wright. This isn't the first offense and I suspect the student conduct office to come down harder on him compared to the other two. Honestly, I doubt we'll see Wright in the opener in four weeks in Durham.

The game will also be the first on New Hampshire's new turf. Believe it or not, Maine now has the oldest carpet in the league now (installed in 2008) and it really showing it's age. When I was doing stadium stairs yesterday, they were grooming it and somehow made it look worse. The footing is still OK, but if you're going to run equipment up and down a football field, as least do it between the yard lines and create a light dark pattern. Otherwise, it just looks like crap with all the rubber pellets rising to the top.
Last edited by dunbar on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunbar
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:13 am

dunbar wrote:
The suspensions concern me, although mostly for Wright. This isn't the first offense and I suspect the student conduct office to come down harder on him compared to the other two. Honestly, I doubt we'll see Wright in the opener in four weeks in Durham.

The game will also be the first on New Hampshire's new turf. Believe it or not, Maine now has the oldest carpet in the league now (installed in 2008) and it really showing it's age. When I was doing stadium stairs yesterday, they we're grooming it and somehow made it look worse. The footing is still OK, but if you're going to run equipment up and down a football field, as least do it between the yard lines and create a light dark pattern. Otherwise, it just looks like crap with all the rubber pellets rising to the top.


Dunbar,
I agree on TV the field looked more black than green, looked like hell. Not sure if the pellets will work their way back down or not.
Heard interview with coach H. and he did not elaborate on what the suspensions were or how long but agree they are certainly disappointing. But have to move forward and get this team going. 4 weeks to kickoff, can't wait.
fafan
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Why do I have a bad feeling on this one. Have no idea what violations of the code of conduct were but maybe it was something in Coach H's voice that led me to believe this is not good. Knowing it is 2nd violation for Ray and Wright that is not good at all. :(

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/08/03/s ... suspended/
fafan
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby dunbar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Apparently, the suspensions are related to a "student complaint" and do not have any ties to any law enforcement violations.

That's really descriptive... :roll:
dunbar
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 pm

dunbar wrote:Apparently, the suspensions are related to a "student complaint" and do not have any ties to any law enforcement violations.

That's really descriptive... :roll:


Hmmm, I guess that's encouraging ;)
fafan
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:19 am

Dunbar,
You mentioned a new field at Cowell stadium, so here it is with a view looking at our seats which are so much better than those 6 rows of the old aluminum seats :lol:
Hope this is in the future for us, judging what we saw the other day, we need another field!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4U-0I5YocI&app=desktop
Last edited by fafan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fafan
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby thebam » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:48 am

So, a student complaint leads immediately to being suspended from school. Man, they take that innocent until proven guilty stuff pretty serious in Orono.
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby dunbar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:31 am

fafan wrote:Dunbar,
You mentioned a new field at Cowell stadium, so here it is with a view looking at our seats which are so much better than those 6 rows of the old aluminum seats :lol:
Hope this is in the future for us, judging what we saw the other day, we need another field!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4U-0I5YocI&app=desktop


Average lifespan of this type of turf is 10-12 years. Considering how much use the field gets outside of Maine Football, it's definitely had a lot of miles put on it. Mahaney is only a year younger than the turf at Morse, but the usage and beating have been far less, and is in much better shape.

And in fairness, the old bleachers down there had 12 rows (they were yuuuuge), just like that stopgap grandstand we had between the old wooden stands were condemned and the current west side was built. The number of rows wasn't the problem, the fact they were a mile away from the sideline was. :lol:
dunbar
 
Posts: 4543
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: WEEK 1: Maine at New Hampshire

Postby fafan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Anyone have info on today's first scrimmage?
fafan
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maine612, turkeyman and 59 guests