Jacob Godfrey to Hermon

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Jacob Godfrey to Hermon

Postby ExpoEddie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Tom has it right. Greater Portland see kids moving from Deering, PHS, Cheverus, Westbrook. Kids leave Wells, Kennebunk, Biddeford to TA. If Maine voted pot to be legal, transferring is a no brainer to be legal. Boys and girls get to leave for a variety of reasons and relocate. Some legit, some working the system, like I want to study Greek. All kids should have the right. Sign of the times. Not all transfers workout like they expected and those that go for wrong/self reasons often fail to deliver the hype.

Gives more meaning to the kids who stay with their lifelong friends and win it. Just the best feeling.
ExpoEddie

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:34 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Tom has it right. Greater Portland see kids moving from Deering, PHS, Cheverus, Westbrook. Kids leave Wells, Kennebunk, Biddeford to TA. If Maine voted pot to be legal, transferring is a no brainer to be legal. Boys and girls get to leave for a variety of reasons and relocate. Some legit, some working the system, like I want to study Greek. All kids should have the right. Sign of the times. Not all transfers workout like they expected and those that go for wrong/self reasons often fail to deliver the hype.

Gives more meaning to the kids who stay with their lifelong friends and win it. Just the best feeling.

ExpoEddie: It isn't why they transfer. It is that they are "NOT TRANSFERRING FOR ATHLETIC PURPOSES". That is what is stated on the mpa transfer wavier that the athlete, parents/guardians, sending and receiving principals sign which makes the athlete(s) immediately eligible.

The original transfer rule did not have many transfers as an athlete and his/her parents/guardians had to change domicile to the community the school was in that the athlete transferred too.

When the mpa changed the transfer rule to what is today that is what has created many of these transfers that we see happening.

Just typing out loud.

How many of the transfers do you think since this current rule has been in effect were REALLY AND TRULY. ......."NOT FOR ATHLETIC PURPOSES"??????????????????????????????????????????????

Just wondering out loud?
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 am

bcbc55. You just took my subtle point and added emphasis. Right now the MPA puts forth a very, very weak premise by stating it cannot be for athletic purposes. So the family uses the system to pick a study offered at one school and not the other and they are allowed to transfer using current criteria.

Players transfer for: wanting to play at a higher competitive level. do not get along with coach or teammates. poor academic performance and parents want change of venue. socially the student does not fit in or feel comfortable in a particular school system. want to play for a particular coach. I stand behind Tom's original statement, regardless of the reason kids should be able to move freely.
ExpoEddie

Postby Hozball22 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Lebron06 wrote:The AAU coach, which happens to be Fritz, definitely is involved in this. Trying to build his son build a super team so they can win a championship before he graduates.(sound familiar, a lot like the NBA these days as you already know which teams are going to be in the finals before the season begins). Makes no difference to me at all but it just makes the tournament games a whole lot less interesting. What fun is it when you do stuff like this? Can you really feel good about winning a title in the end? Not me, just my two cents worth. I love it when local home grown talent wins championships! Those are the teams I root for come February!

Before we start Labeling Hermon as a Comprised Super Team, dont forget last years team finished #1 in B, going 16-2, only losses being to eventual State Champs, MDI. And a loss in the Semi's to a good Veteran Orono team. This while starting 2 Juniors, 2 Sophomores, and a Freshman.. and the remaining bench was 1 Senior, 1 Junior, and 5 Sophomores.. so this is a Hometown Team, with many other very good players. Most of the Subs would start on any other team in the state. I understand that Jacob is a great addition, but this was going to be the Team to beat in B this upcoming winter. I do my very best to mind my own business, but from what i hear there were definite other factors in this move.
Hozball22

Postby Cwirk22 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Don't forget Oceanside moved to B this year. Back to back trips to the Northern A final, they should be poised to make a run in B.
Cwirk22

Postby Hozball22 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Cwirk22 wrote:Don't forget Oceanside moved to B this year. Back to back trips to the Northern A final, they should be poised to make a run in B.

Not overlooking anyone, nothing but respect for Oceanside.. know there is some talent there. Going say Hermon's advantage will be similar to what we saw with MDI last season.. and its bench depth.. should be able to go 9-10 deep with minimal drop off. After Harbor House I told Glen that you had a great team, and said these 2 teams could definitely be playing each other at the Cross Center come February.
Hozball22

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:49 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:bcbc55. You just took my subtle point and added emphasis. Right now the MPA puts forth a very, very weak premise by stating it cannot be for athletic purposes. So the family uses the system to pick a study offered at one school and not the other and they are allowed to transfer using current criteria.

Players transfer for: wanting to play at a higher competitive level. do not get along with coach or teammates. poor academic performance and parents want change of venue. socially the student does not fit in or feel comfortable in a particular school system. want to play for a particular coach. I stand behind Tom's original statement, regardless of the reason kids should be able to move freely.

ExpoEddie: Still the best user name here on MBR.

If either the sending or receiving principal refuses to sign he transfer wavier, that means that the athlete/parents/guardians can appeal to the mpa.

It is a very weak and poor rule. I just don't like a rule that encourages parents/guardians to have themselves and their athlete sign the waiver when they know it is .....for athletic purposes and they sign the wavier that it is .....not for athletic purposes.

There are some laws that I don't like but I obey them because I know that there is a price to pay if I break the laws and am caught doing so. It's the same with this rule for me personally. What kind of a "life Lesson" is being taught? "That end always justifies the mean"?

Why not just go to the voucher system for all Maine high schools as students whose towns are without high schools have a version of it and it works for them. Their town pays for the tuition to the high school that the student chooses to attend.

Now that would be fair for all involved.

Or how about if an athlete chooses any high school as an incoming freshmen then if he/she transfers after that then they have to change domicile like the old original transfer rule to be eligible immediately. A combination of vouchers and the old original transfer rule.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 am

Travon Wilcher‏ @CoachT_Wilcher
Jacob Godfrey has a chance to be special.
video: https://instagram.com/p/BXioxgiFEBG/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby islandball » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Too bad. They would of been a great team without him but I guess they felt like they needed help.
islandball

Postby Killerbee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:25 am

In the end, the pressure is all on Coach Reed to take this 'Super Team' to the State final and win. What happens if they don't?
Killerbee

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur