A partisan rush to prosecute Trump

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 am

Alan M. Dershowitz

When I taught law at Harvard, I always gave a final exam that included what is called “an issue spotter.’’ I presented a complex hypothetical case, often based on a real one, and asked the students to stretch their imaginations to come up with every conceivable crime that might be charged and every conceivable defense that might be offered. That was the first part of the question, and most students excelled at spotting the relevant issues. In the second part of the question, I asked them to use their judgment in deciding which, if any, of these crimes could realistically be charged and which defenses could realistically be offered. It was this part of the question that separated the very good lawyers, which included the vast majority of the students, from the truly exceptional ones. To be a great lawyer requires the exercise of judgment, subtlety, nuance, and an ability to predict what the courts will do.

I am reminded of these exams when I read op-eds and listen to TV appearances, some by my former excellent students, that apply only the first part of the test to the current legal situations confronting the Trump administration. These smart lawyers try to come up with every conceivable statute that an imaginative lawyer could identify, ranging from the Logan Act (which hasn’t been used in 215 years), to treason (which is narrowly defined in the Constitution), to obstruction of justice, to witness tampering, to violations of campaign financing laws (which are so vague and open-ended that half of America’s politicians would be in jail if they were broadly applied).

http://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/a ... c685682ab3
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: A partisan rush to prosecute Trump

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 am

If there's nothing to hide then why all the lies and stonewalling?
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:If there's nothing to hide then why all the lies and stonewalling?

Stonewalling? Seems to me everyone that has been named by the ubiquitous "anonymous" sources has said, "yup, no problem, name the place & time & i'll be there..."
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Then why another tweet storm this morning with talk of pardons? Pay attention to the correlation between scrutiny of Trump's money and his panic level.

But OJ had a good week. That brings us back to Dershowitz's great insight into guilt and innocence.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:Then why another tweet storm this morning with talk of pardons? Pay attention to the correlation between scrutiny of Trump's money and his panic level.

But OJ had a good week. That brings us back to Dershowitz's great insight into guilt and innocence.

Ouch.
mainejeff

Postby Lwyrup » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 pm

mainejeff wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:Then why another tweet storm this morning with talk of pardons? Pay attention to the correlation between scrutiny of Trump's money and his panic level.

Ouch.

Let's not forget the case that got good ole ALAN on the map , the crookest court system in the USA Little Rhodey, "Claus Von Bulow "
Lwyrup

Return to Politics