6 THINGS can a player do after he/she passe

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: 6 THINGS can a player do after he/she passe

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm

[quote="maine612"]Coach Cim,

Rules question for you....

Last night I was at my son's high school summer league game. With 30 seconds to go, his team possessed the ball with the score tied. The point guard stood near the 3-point circle and pounded the ball into ground driving the clock down and setting up for the last shot. Surprisingly, the official called a five-second violation on him. You could make the argument that the defender was not close enough for this.... You could also argue the kid should never just stand in one spot dribbling as you are inviting the ref to blow the whistle. However, the question is this...what is the ref supposed to do to let the player know they are counting? Does the ref have to swing their arm counting the seconds? He wasn't doing that. Also the ref did not have his arms stretched out to the side signaling "all clear." It was a gray area that I am wondering about.

Of course the other team took the ball down and scored... Lesson learned for the boys is that you need to weave or pass or take some other action or you will get stung.

612: Official should have had a visual 5 second count going on (like a throw in count signal) if the closely guarded count is on because the defender was within 6 feet or less from the player with the ball.

If the defender is not within 6 feet then the official should have had both arms extended with open hands to indicate that the count is not on as the defender is not within 6 feet of the player with the ball, but is close to 6 feet.
bcbc55

Postby maine612 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks coach. That is what I assumed. The official in this case did neither. There are lots of lazy officials out there.... makes you really appreciate and respect the good ones who do the job with effort and attention.

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

maine612 wrote:Thanks coach. That is what I assumed. The official in this case did neither. There are lots of lazy officials out there.... makes you really appreciate and respect the good ones who do the job with effort and attention.

612: You are certainly welcome. Anytime.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics