Basketball - Women 2017-18:

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: Women's Basketball 2017-18:

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:44 am

Guerrette nominated for NAC award

BANGOR, Me (WAGM) - Presque Isle grad Chandler Guerrette has been named Husson University's nomination for the 2017 North Atlantic Conference Woman of the Year award.

The award honors graduating student-athletes who have distinguished themselves throughout their collegiate careers in the areas of academic achievement, athletics excellence, service and leadership. Guerrette was a standout on the Husson University women's basketball team, serving as a captain her senior season

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/Gu ... 33093.html
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:46 am

Phelps steps back onto MDI, Bowdoin courts

BAR HARBOR — A former Trojan standout is set to help coach a group of future Trojans next month at the Future Trojans Basketball Camp at Mount Desert Island High School from July 10-14.

MDI High School Class of 2011 alumna Megan Phelps will return to her old stomping grounds along with boys’ varsity Head Coach Justin Norwood to guide elementary and middle school girls during an intensive weeklong camp.

Phelps, who recently was hired as the assistant coach of the Bowdoin College women’s basketball team, said helping out at the camp has been something she looks forward to every year.

“Every year since I graduated [from MDI High School], I’ve come back, and it’s one of my favorite weeks of the summer,” she said. “I love being a college basketball coach, but I am partial to the younger kids because there is something really special about having a kid come to camp and introducing them to the game and how fun it is and to see them get so excited when they shoot a layup.”

The camp is run by Acadian Youth Sports and headed up by Norwood. Current Trojans from the MDI High School basketball teams also will assist.

http://www.mdislander.com/sports/phelps ... oin-courts
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:47 am

Andrew Morong‏ @CoachMorong
Very excited for these 2

CMCC Women's Basketball Names Captains

Auburn, ME - Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong, announced that sophomores Kristina Blais (Lewiston, ME) and Holly Decourcey (Billerica, MA) will serve the team as captains during the 2017-18 campaign. Both Blais and Decourcey were crucial ingredients in the Lady Mustangs capturing the 2017 USCAA DII National Championship, the first women's basketball national title in the state's history.

According to Morong, "Both Kristina and Holly are exemplary young women. They lead by example, in the classroom, on the court, and in the weight room – and truly embrace what it means to be a student-athlete. Both have GPA's above 3.6, and are on track to graduate with President Honors. Not only do they succeed at their own tasks, but they are capable and willing to hold their teammates to our high standards as well. There are well-defined attributes that make our program different than many others, and Kristina and Holly embrace and embody every one of them."

Blais on being named captain, "We're excited about the season and ready to get to work. Being captain means it is our job to make sure people don't get comfortable, and push them to their limits so we can succeed as a team, in season and in the offseason. We have a lot of talented players coming in, it is important to take them under our wings and show them the ropes of what it means to be a Lady Mustang. Most importantly, we want everyone to mesh together off the floor early, which means lots of team bonding, and making people feel comfortable, because it'll only make us better on the floor. I think my outgoing personality will help with that. Another thing I can bring to the table is my intensity and commitment, which will hopefully become contagious. Last year I gained more confidence and knowledge, which I will be able to share throughout the season."

According to Decourcey, "Coming off of such a great season last year, we are definitely very excited to start another season together. To me, being named captain means a lot. It means that you are in charge of holding your teammates accountable and being someone that they can turn to. Kristina and I are very excited to welcome the new players to the team and to see what this year has in store for us. We both have been working very hard in the offseason in both the weight room, and on the basketball court. I believe that I am a good leader because I am a very intense, serious player during both games and practices. I believe that if someone has that type of attitude it spreads to others. I like to lead by example, and I hope to show the incoming freshmen what hard work really is. I think my experience last year has made me even more determined for this year's season. I gained a lot of experience and knowledge last year, and there was a lot of adjusting that had to be done. I think I have learned from the experience and that I should have a better year this year because of it."

The Lady Mustangs kick-off the 2017-18 campaign on Monday, September 25th with their first practice.

http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/wbkb/2 ... 0706cxmv7p
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:18 pm

INSEL NAMED WOMEN'S ASSISTANT BASKETBALL COACH

WATERVILLE, Maine -- Jamie Insel, who spent the past three seasons at MIT, is the new assistant women's basketball coach for Colby College head coach Brittany Gaetano.

Insel helped the Engineers go 20-6 last year and make the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament in all three of her seasons as assistant coach. MIT improved its record from 11-15 in Insel's first season to 17-9 in the 2015-16 academic year.

"I am extremely excited for Jamie to join the Colby community," Gaetano said. "Her playing and coaching experiences combined with her passion for mentoring student-athletes make her a very special fit for our women's basketball program."

Insel, who was the recruiting coordinator for MIT, is a 2014 graduate of Assumption College. She helped the women's basketball team to a 79-37 record and three trips to the NCAA Division II Tournament in her four years. Insel averaged 9.2 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 2.3 assists per game in her senior season.

Before coaching at MIT, Insell assisted in coordinating the United Basketball (N.J.) AAU Program.

Colby (13-12 overall) made the New England Small College Athletic Conference Final Four last year in Gaetano's first season as head coach.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 am

SMCC Seawolves‏ @SMCCseawolves

SMCC Sends Five To NCAA Division III Programs
https://t.co/F1BXb6QqS0
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby AMO12 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 am

CMCC Women's Basketball
Hamblin, Ablondi moving on to DIII programs

Auburn, ME - Nicole Hamblin (Fayette, ME) & Allie Ablondi (Thompson, CT) will be continuing their education and basketball careers next year at the NCAA DIII level. Both Hamblin and Ablondi graduated Central Maine Community College this May and were vital ingredients to the women's basketball success over the last 2 years. Hamblin was the starting point guard, while Ablondi was a key reserve during the Lady Mustangs National Championship campaign this past season.

Head Women's Basketball Coach, Andrew Morong, on Hamblin and Ablondi, "Nik and Al are tremendous young women who have very bright futures. Both have grown up so much since they first arrived here at CM as wide-eyed, nervous freshmen.

Nicole's goal all along has been to graduate and transfer from our amazing Life Sciences degree program and utilize the transfer agreement with the University of New England to study in their dental program....

Full story: http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/wbkb/2 ... 0725j7e1m2
AMO12

Re: Basketball - Women 2017-18:

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 am

Halvorson stepping down as UMPI women's basketball coach

PRESQUE ISLE, Me (WAGM) - The University of Maine Presque Isle women's basketball team is looking for a new coach

Traci Halvorson is stepping down from the position after coaching one season with the Owls. Last year the team doubled its win total under her by going 8-16, including the Owls first win against UMFK since 2013. The search for a new coach begins immediately for UMPI.

http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/Ha ... 46723.html

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby AMO12 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:05 am

Women's Basketball: Harrington coaches in Spain

Auburn, ME - Women's basketball sophomore guard, Ellie Harrington, traveled to Sant Guim de Freixenet, Spain this summer to coach at the Roger Grimau Basketball Camp. Here's what she had to say...

Full article: http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/wbkb/2 ... 0731ena0ks
AMO12

Postby Husson University » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 am

Husson Eagles‏ @HussonUEagles
.@Hussonwbb Releases 2017-18 Schedule! #HUeagles http://ow.ly/dXdU30efVI1
Husson University

Postby WAGM » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 am

UMFK names new Women's Basketball Coach
Fletcher Brown has been named the new Women's basketball coach at the University of Maine Fort Kent.
http://www.wagmtv.com/content/sports/UM ... 14003.html
WAGM

PreviousNext

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)