6 THINGS can a player do after he/she passe

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

6 THINGS can a player do after he/she passe

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:56 pm

THE 6 THINGS ARE LISTED ON THE 9th POST DOWN ON THIS THREAD.

After a basketball player passes the ball to a teammate what things can he/she do that helps improve their team's offense against person-to-person defense?

Please list and number. Thank you.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcbc55

Re: Basketball?? What things can a player do after he/she pa

Postby maine612 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

1. Cut to the basket
2. V cut back to original spot
3. On ball screen
4. Screen away from the ball
5. Clear out opposite ball
6. Rotate towards half court for defensive protection

I usually don't pass though. :)

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:05 pm

maine612 wrote:1. Cut to the basket
2. V cut back to original spot
3. On ball screen
4. Screen away from the ball
5. Clear out opposite ball
6. Rotate towards half court for defensive protection

I usually don't pass though. :)

612: Very good answers.
bcbc55

Postby maine612 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Question for you coach.

At all levels of basketball you see players make acrobatic time out calls to save a possession. They are falling down or out of bounds or making a save in the air... my thought is it is rarely worth the timeout. You might need that later. A single change of possession isn't worth it.

I make the same argument in football. Saving a 5 year delay of game penalty with a time out early in the second half if a mistake from my perspective. Timeouts are gold.

Interested in your thoughts

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:29 pm

[quote="maine612"]Question for you coach.

At all levels of basketball you see players make acrobatic posting.php?mode=quote&f=229&p=545106#time out calls to save a possession. They are falling down or out of bounds or making a save in the air... my thought is it is rarely worth the timeout. You might need that later. A single change of possession isn't worth it.

I make the same argument in football. Saving a 5 year delay of game penalty with a time out early in the second half if a mistake from my perspective. Timeouts are gold.

Interested in your thoughts

Maine612: Funny you should mention calling timeouts to save a possession. I am on staff at a FCA Fellowship basketball camp this week and my station was rules and we discussed this thoroughly. I CERTAINLY AGREE WITH YOU. DON'T WASTE TIMEOUTS THIS WAY BECAUSE WAY MAY NEED THEM AND WANT THEM AVAILABLE LATE IN THE GAME.

My players did not call time outs unless they had the GREEN light in our RED LIGHT-GREEN LIGHT RULE.

Red light meant no players called a time out regardless of the reason. GREEN light meant that they could CALL a time out like in the game and we needed a possession then they could call a time out to save the possession.

OTHERWISE I CALLED ALL THE TIMEOUTS FROM THE COACHING BOX.

When taking the ball out-of-bounds for a throw in in our back court on the end line or on our sideline if the official got to one thousand 4 and the player could not get the ball in safely they were all taught to bounce the ball of the defender facing and guarding him's shins and step out of the way that way we avoided the 5 second violation, getting the ball back with a new 5 second count.

If the defender was not guarding him and had his back to the thrower in then they bounced the ball of the defenders back stepped in picked up the ball and many times got an unmolested layup if it was in our front court and if in the backcourt the player picked up the ball and started his dribble towards our front court.

If trying to secure the ball on a jump ball we just took out chances with the arrow if a held ball was called.

All our players practiced doing these things so that when and if they were in those situations and RED was on they knew what to do so as not to waste a timeout, unless the situation was GREEN. After every time out or period break I would remind the players it was either RED or GREEN.

I always wanted to have at least 3 timeouts left going into the 4th period.

Great question and we certainly think alike in a lot of basketball things.
bcbc55

Postby maine612 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 am

Coach,

Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of coaching around the simple handoff. You asked what you can do after you pass the ball. An effective technique is to simply run towards the receiver and get an immediate hand off back. This creates an immediate pick and roll opportunity if done right. Also, teams panic when the ball is frozen and people cut and run around trying to get open. Many times a simple hand off exchange solves the problem. A lot of good things can be run off the handoff when the passer pivots to the right position and shields the defender.

maine612

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

maine612 wrote:Coach,

Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of coaching around the simple handoff. You asked what you can do after you pass the ball. An effective technique is to simply run towards the receiver and get an immediate hand off back. This creates an immediate pick and roll opportunity if done right. Also, teams panic when the ball is frozen and people cut and run around trying to get open. Many times a simple hand off exchange solves the problem. A lot of good things can be run off the handoff when the passer pivots to the right position and shields the defender.

612: We agree again.Pass to a teammate and go get the ball back and have the man who gives you back the ball and then set a screen on your man to set up for a screen and roll or a screen and loop back for a 3 pointer, depending on how the roll man's defender plays him.
bcbc55

Postby waltwhite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm

bcbc55 wrote:After a basketball player passes the ball to a teammate what things can he/she do that helps improve their team's offense against person-to-person defense?

Please list and number. Thank you.

If kevin Durant or Lebron James or maya moore or Cynthia cooper is on your team.... get the heck outta the way!
waltwhite

6 THINGS A Player can do after passing the ball to a teamm

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Here are the things a player can do after he/she passes to a teammate to make his/her's team's offense more effective.

1. Stand still-signal for teammate on the block to set a rear screen for him/her

2. Screen away for a teammate

3. Set a screen to the teammate he/her passed the ball to

4. Go get the ball back from the teammate who he passed the ball to and that teammate could set a screen for the original passer or could go screen away another teammate

5. Old give and go, cut to the basket

6. Fake any of the above and then do another one of the above

This is what players can do and the defense does not know which one of the 6 offensive moves they are going to do...this is free lance offense without dribbling...ONLY TIME A PLAYER DRIBBLES IS IF HE/SHE CANNOT PASS TO ANY OF THE OTHER 4 TEAMMATES

Use these moves in the quick hitting offense that has been posted on this thread and is very effective in getting the ball inside to force the defense to double down on the player on the block either before or after the player on the block gets the ball. This gets open three's or open layups when a double team occurs on the post player on the block.

Also, after the first passer makes his or her move after passing the ball to a teammate in the half-court could be a signal for each of the other 4 teammates make the same offensive move as the original passer did or there could be a signal to do anyone of the 6 moves.

Signals: No signal then teammates do whatever of the 6 moves

Signal: Tap ball to the players head while holding the ball which could be the signal for all of the offensive players make the same move as the player who gave the signal before he passed to a teammate.
bcbc55

Re: 6 THINGS can a player do after he/she passe

Postby maine612 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Coach Cim,

Rules question for you....

Last night I was at my son's high school summer league game. With 30 seconds to go, his team possessed the ball with the score tied. The point guard stood near the 3-point circle and pounded the ball into ground driving the clock down and setting up for the last shot. Surprisingly, the official called a five-second violation on him. You could make the argument that the defender was not close enough for this.... You could also argue the kid should never just stand in one spot dribbling as you are inviting the ref to blow the whistle. However, the question is this...what is the ref supposed to do to let the player know they are counting? Does the ref have to swing their arm counting the seconds? He wasn't doing that. Also the ref did not have his arms stretched out to the side signaling "all clear." It was a gray area that I am wondering about.

Of course the other team took the ball down and scored... Lesson learned for the boys is that you need to weave or pass or take some other action or you will get stung.

maine612

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics