Schedules

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Schedules

Postby dunbar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm

It's July 7.

We have no football game times.
We have no (released) hockey schedule.
We have neither of the basketball schedules, or really anything to piece things together.

Let's use this as a comprehensive scheduling thread so we can figure this out.
dunbar

Re: Schedules

Postby turkeyman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm seeing nothing on wbb schedules. Usually, the OOC schedule comes out in the summer and the America East releases conference sked in the fall.

But we can look at last year's opponents for clues. Mississippi State came to Maine's tournament. Do the Black Bears go to Starkville this fall?

The game at Clemson last year was the third between the two teams in the past four years or so, two of them down there. Does that mean Clemson owes Maine a game here? Clemson has a star from Quebec and asked to come here two years ago so she could play in front of her parents. Purdue OOC sked shows no Maine, so that home-and-home exchange appears to have been a one-timer. Boilers wound up with a good season despite Maine's shellacking in the first game, but it has also lost its best player (Morrisette who gradudated) and its best young player (McBryde who transferred).

Harvard and Bryant, almost perennials on the Maine schedule, may owe Maine games at the Cross Center. Maine may owe Northeastern and Dartmouth return games. BC is a frequent Maine home-and-home, and I'm not sure if BC owes Maine a game or not. Maine played at Chestnut Hill last winter, could have won but didn't.

Tulane may also owe Maine a game. Maybe in another Tip-Off Tournament?

Don't know how to figure six other opponents, since they were all tournament games (St. Peters, Hampton, South Carolina, Chattanooga, East Tennessee and UMiami). Maine has played at Coral Gables a few times -- Cindy's biggest win as a coach may have been beating Miami in a tourney game down there -- but I've never seen the 'Canes up here. Their blood may be too thin.

Coach Vachon talked to BDN today about "tough" schedule coming up. That may just be coach talk -- how many coaches are gonna tell you, "We have a lot of patsies on our schedule this year?" -- or it may mean that some of the tougher teams on last year's schedule are coming back for more. Keep your ears to the ground.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
Last edited by turkeyman on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turkeyman

Postby mainejeff » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Women's basketball will curiously be playing in another Miami tourney again.....they open vs. the Canes on Nov. 24 and then play Kennesaw State or Maryland on Nov. 26.

Maybe this is a 2 for 1 and Miami will do a return game in 2018-2019.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Some men's basketball games....

Nov.10 - @ Boston College
Nov. 14 - @ Texas Tech
Nov. 18 - vs. South Alabama @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Nov. 19 - vs. Sacred Heart or St. Peter's @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Dec. 22 - @ UMass
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 am

Bump.
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:01 am

Vachon stated on Kimball's show that they'll be a schedule release (most likely non-con) on Monday or Tuesday.

It seems the hold up for hockey seems to be exhibition dates and the Portland sacrificial lamb.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:27 am

dunbar wrote:It seems the hold up for hockey seems to be exhibition dates and the Portland sacrificial lamb.

With the state of the hockey program, can we really label anyone as a sacrificial lamb at this point? 8-)
thebam

Postby dunbar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am

2017-18 Women's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

OCT 28 (SAT) VS STONEHILL (EX) BANGOR, ME
    NOV 10 (FRI) VS TULANE ORONO, ME
    NOV 11 (SAT) VS DAYTON/HARVARD ORONO, ME
    NOV 14 (TUE) VS BRYANT BANGOR, ME
    NOV 16 (THU) VS FORT KENT BANGOR, ME

NOV 24 (FRI) AT MIAMI CORAL GABLES, FL
    NOV 26 (SUN) VS MARYLAND/KENNESAW ST. CORAL GABLES, FL
    NOV 30 (THU) AT TOLEDO TOLEDO, OH
    DEC 3 (SUN) AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY COLUMBUS, OH
    DEC 5 (TUE) VS MAINE MARITIME BANGOR, ME
    DEC 9 (SAT) AT DARTMOUTH HANOVER, NH
    DEC 17 (SUN) AT MISSISSIPPI STATE STARKVILLE, MS
    DEC 19 (TUE) AT DUKE DURHAM, NC
    DEC 28 (THU) AT BOSTON COLLEGE CHESTNUT HILL, MA
dunbar

Postby dunbar » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 am

Let's hope there's some return games for 2018-19 cause that home schedule is awful.

Yes, the Tip-Off Tourney is at Memorial Gym during the Fenway weekend. BRILLIANT!
dunbar

Postby turkeyman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 am

Hard to disagree with Dunbar. Not so good a schedule as one might have wished. Two real bummers. Playing in the pits. And playing D3 and lower teams.

My guess is that the Tip Off Tournament was put into the Pit(s) because the Cross Center either was booked by the Maine Harvest Festival before the athletic department sought the booking or UMaine was simply outbid for the weekend by the Harvest Festival. And, women's hockey has the Alfond on Nov. 10 and 12, so even that option wasn't available. This may be just plain bad coordination.

As a farmer, I sold at the Harvest Festival three times. It is a really big deal. Last year, it was held the weekend before Thanksgiving, which is really too late for farmers and customers. So, the Harvest Festival surely wanted an earlier weekend. But, Nov. 4 and 5 would have worked as well or better. What I don't know is whether the athletics department dragged its feet on booking or the Harvest Festival offered CIC more cash. Haven't I read on this website or maybe in the BDN that UMaine (women's and men's) basketball had first call on the CIC from November into March?

How many of Maine's staunchest fans won't be able to attend games in the Pit? We attended games there, felt we were trudging back 70 years. It reminds me of some gyms where our high school (90 students) played. In the '50s. My wife couldn't attend games and practices in the pit the past few seasons because she could not handle the stairs or the vertigo. I can probably still negotiate the place, but not happily or willingly.

If someone was asleep at the switch, accountability is in order. Tulane and Harvard were known return games long ago. There should have been no issue with reserving the space early.

This may not be a year that Maine goes to the America East finals. But playing two lower-classification teams in one season cannot help the team's RPI, and seeding in the AE tournament can depend on RPI, as it did last year when Albany got the top seed even though Maine won the total-points between the two. Why jeopardize the RPI by playing UMFK and MMA? UMFK is sometimes a force in NAIA. But it is NAIA, for crying out loud! And MMA hasn't been a D3 force since the era of Alyssa Burns (Dirigo) and Julia Knights (Woodland).

And, should Maine make it through to the NCAAs, we would all be excited until the seeds were announced. Reports have it that seeds for the automatic-berth teams can be affected by playing lower-division teams. In most calculations of RPI, out-of-division games are simply ignored. But NCAA seeders reportedly penalize teams that play below division.

In terms of overall RPI, it would be better to schedule lower than mid-major teams, such as Coppin State or Southeast Missouri State, even on the road and without a return game than to play NAIA and D3 teams.

Of course, none of us knows the processes and the decisions coaches must go through to pull together a schedule. And sometimes that doesn't even work out. TCU was all lined up 11 years or so ago to come for the Dead River Tournament but someone didn't send the paperwork to Fort Worth. Result, three-team tournament. Three years ago, Wright State, a good team, canceled the tournament claiming it couldn't fly out because of the weather. I suspected then and still suspect that was a phony excuse. Similar to when Stanford was scheduled to come here in Cindy's senior year and canceled after the schedule was printed but before the tickets went out. Lots of pitfalls in making and playing a schedule.

If this is a reaction to last year's grueling schedule, I would call it an overreaction. Still some interesting games and several winnable games against reputable teams. But stay in the Cross Center or get to the Alfond if we must play in Orono. And, stay with D1, guys. That is where Maine belongs.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics