WBB adds a big

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

WBB adds a big

Postby turkeyman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Press release from athletic dept. a few minutes ago.

ORONO, Maine – University of Maine women's basketball interim head coach Amy Vachon has announced the addition of Kathleen 'Kat' Williams, a 6-5 center. Williams will join the Black Bears in the fall of 2017-18.

"We are excited to announce the signing of Kathleen 'Kat' Williams," Vachon said. "Kat will bring a solid low post presence to our team and will be a force on the defensive end as well with her size. Kat has a great touch around the basket and has a high basketball IQ that will fit in well with our system. She is not only a great basketball player, but Kat is an excellent student with high standards who will only enhance our team culture. Black Bear Nation, please join us in welcoming Kat Williams!"

Williams, who hails from Coral Springs, Fl., averaged a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds to go along with six blocks per game for Majory Stoneman Douglas high school. As a captain, she helped lead her team to a school-record 28-3 mark and a District championship in 2017. Individually, Williams was named to the state all-star team and earned a First Team All-Broward County selection.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Re: WBb adds a big

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 pm

turkeyman wrote:Press release from athletic dept. a few minutes ago.

ORONO, Maine – University of Maine women's basketball interim head coach Amy Vachon has announced the addition of Kathleen 'Kat' Williams, a 6-5 center. Williams will join the Black Bears in the fall of 2017-18.

"We are excited to announce the signing of Kathleen 'Kat' Williams," Vachon said. "Kat will bring a solid low post presence to our team and will be a force on the defensive end as well with her size. Kat has a great touch around the basket and has a high basketball IQ that will fit in well with our system. She is not only a great basketball player, but Kat is an excellent student with high standards who will only enhance our team culture. Black Bear Nation, please join us in welcoming Kat Williams!"

Williams, who hails from Coral Springs, Fl., averaged a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds to go along with six blocks per game for Majory Stoneman Douglas high school. As a captain, she helped lead her team to a school-record 28-3 mark and a District championship in 2017. Individually, Williams was named to the state all-star team and earned a First Team All-Broward County selection.

Bob Neal
New Sharon

Bob: Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the post.

UMaine hasn't got it on the goblackbears.com Blog yet.

Where was the announce made?

Thanks for keeping us informed and up-to-date.
bcbc55

Re: WBB adds a big

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:20 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Crunch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Amy's putting together a team that's going to be fun to watch. We got a combination of Big Un's and Fast Un's.
Crunch

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Hope 6'5" Williams knows how POST UP CORRECTLY ON THE BLOCK, to seal her defender properly, how to show where she wants the ball on the pass, how to signal when she wants the ball and how to shoot a POWER LAYUP PROPERLY after she gets the ball on the block.

None of the transferring (Sole, Keleava, or Tilana S.) or returning big (6'1"Wadling) showed those skills as they usually got the ball on the move and did not get it in a stopped position on the block. Thus they ended up not in position to get their own miss because their momentum after their moving floating shot took them out of good offensive rebounding position.

But at least the women's team got some BIGS.... 2 6'3" ers and Williams at 6'5" compared to the Men who got only ONE, 6'9" Antoms and the loss of Eze for the season is really going to leave the men without much depth in the post.

Offensively size is not a big factor if it is not used a lot and used properly.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 am

UMaineSuperfan wrote:can we stop the damn madness with Bob bashing Sole's post game. She has a literally world renowned inside game, and won the 6th player of the year award in the AE Conference sole-ly (see what I did there) on the strength of that. Furthermore, Duquesne's staff specifically noted that part of her game as something they were excited about.

She did consistently seal her defender, she hit them with an array of dream shakes, spins, drop steps, etc...and her post game was much more advanced than anyone else I saw in the entire conference (and I watched every conference game)

It's clear Bob has an axe to grind, didn't watch the team, or both, because he's completely off of his rocker on this take. it's flat wrong, and it's unacceptable nobody is calling him out on his bullcrap.

UMSF,

what is unacceptable is your tone towards another poster..

objective / subjective opinions on teams, players, coaches, administration is all acceptable and opposing views are welcomed ..

I'm calling you out .. Knock it off or go away.. from what I've observed, your knowledge base is very limited and skewed , but I'm happy to read your objective / subjective opinion. .
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:03 pm

To my critics: I print the truth based on my own experiences. If some people don't like it then that is fine with me. I have been on MBR for a long, long, long time.

I have been called names, and my post have been attacked pettily and the disagreements are many times not done in good taste, when we should be just agreeing to disagree without getting personal. I have never been bothered by those negative things and never will be.

However, I have never attached anyone who disagrees with me or get negatively personal with "name callin" just because they don't agree with me on a posted topic.

I have never complained to Tom about how I have been treated for those that think I am treated special here on MBR.

Zonid, did you ever play or coach against the person you claim I was vile and made the petty commentary about and that upset you so much? and then you attached my character or lack of.

For TAL1957 you are correct this MBR program has been good for Maine College and High School sports.

UMSF my post on the lack of post skills and getting the post players more offensive touches for UMaine women post players is nothing new for me, nor is it for the men either.

theonearmedman: How do you know that UMSF's statement about my bullcrap is based on what? His opinion or facts? My comments were based on opinion and facts called statisics.

Again, as I have posted many times, if you don't like my posts then simply ignore them and then you won't get so upset.

However, after playing, coaching and officiating basketball for many years I am very used to people being upset with me for what I do or say or not do or not say. So attaching me personally does not bother me, but I feel it is not good for MBR.when we should be agreeing to disagree in a civil manner on topics that any one posts.

Many times we are like the current political scene in Washington now and that anything goes if someone disagrees with someone else that does not agree with them.

I have always favored two divisions for MBR. One for people using their real names and one for others who wish to hid behind user names as it is very easy to attach someone without using your real name when you disagree with their posts.
bcbc55

Postby Crunch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:38 pm

C'mon, folks, this post is on WBB adds a big. And, for goodness sake, the girl isn't even a freshman yet. Could we watch her play one Black Bear game before we decide how well she plays? Frankly, as a relatively newer poster, hearing the same crap over and over gets old fast. For instance, note to all who follow Maine women's basketball. Sole doesn't play here anymore. It doesn't matter.
Crunch

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm

Crunch wrote:C'mon, folks, this post is on WBB adds a big. And, for goodness sake, the girl isn't even a freshman yet. Could we watch her play one Black Bear game before we decide how well she plays? Frankly, as a relatively newer poster, hearing the same crap over and over gets old fast. For instance, note to all who follow Maine women's basketball. Sole doesn't play here anymore. It doesn't matter.

Crunch: I agree entirely with your post above, but as I started this, all I was doing was hoping that Williams at 6'5" had post up skills that the 3 transfer out bigs didn't have nor the 1 returnee.

P.S> And hopefully the 2 incoming recruits the 6'3'post players have them also.

Sorry about that.
bcbc55

Postby waltwhite » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Hello everyone. I am sorry I have been gone so long. I know Tal missed me. As the 2016-20017bcbc poster of the year, I felt like I should chimed in on this topic. But first. Where have I been?

I have been pursuing my dream of becoming a coach. I signed up to coach a youth league and was pleasantly surprised when they offered me the role of scorekeeper. They said I can apply again to coach next year. I will need three letters of reference to substantiate my knowledge of hoop. Bcbc, mr Tom , and I need one more. Would you be willing to write me a letter? Any other volunteers? If so email me at wwtreadlightly@gmail.com. Thank you. I am so close to my dream.

This post is intriguing. sole was a good player. I am surprised ICONN didn't want her with her size and talent. Seems like genos type of player. A young Kara Walters imo. Or a young dolfson. I always loved dolfson. She was so full of energy and life. Don't like her new hairstyle. Google it. Yikes.

Bcbc (I think) once said. " you can't teach size". I love that quote. I mean look at Shaq. Guy was a legend. He's great on his new show with chuck and Jenny and love EJ. I THINK MBR SHOULD GAVE A WEEKLY SHOW. MR TOM!!!! Once a week. Bcbc turkey man TAL ME MR TOM AND THEDUDE. IT COULD RITATE LIKE AROUND THE HORN. WE COULD TALK ABOYT UMAINE TOPICS. FOR EAXOMLE SHOW OBE.

TOPICS:

Bcbc poster of the year- Walt white
Maine song. Is it appropriate? (It's about boozing)
Should we sign Thad motta. (He's available)
Phoenetic spelling on jerseys
Should Maine wear big baller brand? ( this would bring national attention) dump new balance.
Lebron / is bald a good look?
Ayesha curry- have youbtried her new food service? Sooooo yummy.
Song of the summer? Shape of you by ed Sharon. ( I love that song. So dope).
Nominees for poster of year 2018

Noticed how I infused pop culture into the topics. Trying to lure the younger barstool crown into mbr.

I could do topics for each show. I have been so busy.
But I would do it for mbr/my second home

A lot of my ideas are good but get shot down. Let's band together to make it happen.

One last note. TAL. I HAVE FIRGIVEN YIU. I WENT TO CHURCH THE OTHER DAY AND TALKED TO MY PASTOR. PASTOR SAID THAT I SGOUKD FIRGIVE YOU. I SAID PASTIR HES A A HOLE. HE SAID EVEN JESUS LOVED A HOLES. YOU MUST FIRGIVE HOM MY CHILD. SO I AM. PLUS MR TOM IS TRYING TO BRONG A SENSE OF CIVILITY TO MBR. I CONCUR.

TREAD LIGHTLY MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS.

WW
BCBC 2016/20017 poster of the year
waltwhite

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics