UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby basketball_guy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Postby dunbar » 17 Jun 2017 16:11

The Pit is a dump, has fewer than 1300 fixed seats, with several hundred of them with obstructed views. They renovated the whole Memorial Gym/Fieldhouse complex, with the exception of the Pit.

I have not been back to Orono is quite some time. I always liked the fieldhouse but I wonder why they would invest all this money and not upgrade the PITT, probably because they have been playing down at Alfond. We played our JV basketball games at the PITT in 1978. Also, the Varsity played at the PITT as well. then it was a great place to play. Abbot commented at the time they were going to upgrade the PITT.

They seem to have put the Students on the backburner as far as allowing the student fanbase to attend their
home games. Playing in Bangor just seems like they are discounting the Student fanbase at Orono which makes no sense.

Go figure what the heck they were thinking.
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:38 pm

dunbar wrote:The Pit is a dump, has fewer than 1300 fixed seats, with several hundred of them with obstructed views. They renovated the whole Memorial Gym/Fieldhouse complex, with the exception of the Pit.

dunbar: If I remember correctly the field house had 5 basketball courts with the middle court being college size and the other 4 high school size.

I have not been in the field house since it was renovated but do they still have 5 or 3 courts.

Why not do what they do at Mt.Aarat High School Gym in Topsham where they have portable seats that fold up when they are not having games, if I remember correctly.

Put the portable floor from the Alfond in the middle gym in the field house and then put portable seats on the sides of the court. Have 1500 seats in each section of portable seats on each side of the court.

One side of the court the team benches and the official score/timers table and on the other side opposite the team benches have the press tables.

Maybe this couldn't be done, but if it could it would really only cost for the bleachers as they already have the court.

Could leave the portable seats and court up if they are not interfering with anything they could be left up and if they needed to be taken out they could do that easily, just fold up the portable seats and take up the court.

If not needed to be taken up then teams could practice there and if it wasn't available they still have the "PIT" for practices.

Look at the money saved in rental costs of the Cross Insurance Center and in the cost of transportation from Orono to Bangor for games/practices, plus you keep the games ON CAMPUS

I played a lot of ball in the field house and in the "PIT" over the years I was in College at Husson during the fall before the season started.

Also got to play games in the "PIT" when we played the HMaine Freshmen. Really enjoyed playing in the "PIT"..Great atmosphere. Also, in High school at Bangor got to play 3 Eastern Maine Class L (Now AA) tournament games there in the "PIT" in 1955

Also when I was coaching at Orono we used to play the Maine Freshmen every season in the "PIT" just before the tournament. Great crowds for these games.

If possible maybe this could be investigated of playing in the field house.

Maybe this is just the unorthodox thinking of an old senile senior citizen basketball fan of UMaine basketball since the early 1950's.

dunbar is this a possible solution to get basketball back on campus at a very low cost?
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:48 am

basketball_guy wrote:Ok but MaineJeffs post said nothing about Charleston being in West Virginia. One would assume he met
Charleston in South Carolina and down there there is a College of Charleston which competes in Division 1A.
in the Colonial Athletic Association.

If Jeff had meant College of Charleston, he would have said that. Because you were too lazy to figure it out, you simply assumed incorrectly.
thebam

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 am

Basketball hasn't pulled attendance from the student body since the early 80's. When the games were on campus at Alfond they didn't draw well. Hockey has dominated the winter sports scene. Hockey games are an event. Basketball is an afterthought on campus. You can blame that on poor marketing and not competing consistently for conference titles. The Pit as we once knew it, is never coming back. That said I'm not opposed to a 3500 seat basketball only arena on campus. We may not see that in our lifetime though...
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Basketball hasn't pulled attendance from the student body since the early 80's. When the games were on campus at Alfond they didn't draw well. Hockey has dominated the winter sports scene. Hockey games are an event. Basketball is an afterthought on campus. You can blame that on poor marketing and not competing consistently for conference titles. The Pit as we once knew it, is never coming back. That said I'm not opposed to a 3500 seat basketball only arena on campus. We may not see that in our lifetime though...

BZ: Very correct and accurate post. Maine men have only had 2 coaches since 1949 that had winning career percentages over .500, Brian McCall in the 60's using 90% Maine high school players and Dr. John G. 1990's and early 2000's and if Mainer Andy Bedard had not gotten injured in the semi-finals and could not play in the finals of the America east Conference Tournament the Maine Men might have been the first UMaine Men's team to ever go to the "Big Dance".

Maine drew the best when they had Maine kids on the roster making contributions as Maine Fans could identify with them from their high school careers.

The last winning season was in 2009-10 when they went 19-10 and they started Mainers McNally, Barnies, Bernal and would have started 5 if Socoby and Cooke had not left the team.

If UMaine Men are going to lose then I would rather see it be with Maine kids, as it would probably create more fan interest and possibly increase attendance.

What do you think about the idea of playing in the field house that I posted?
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

1) Again, Bedard got hurt in the quarters against Hartford, then lost to Delaware on their home court in the semis.
2) The floor doesn't fit in the field house, and none of the four rubber courts are college or even high school size. They considered that when they renovated it.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm

dunbar wrote:1) Again, Bedard got hurt in the quarters against Hartford, then lost to Delaware on their home court in the semis.
2) The floor doesn't fit in the field house, and none of the four rubber courts are college or even high school size. They considered that when they renovated it.

dunbar: (1)Thanks for the correction on Bedard.

(2) Weren't Before they renovated the "PIT" the middle main court college sized 94 X 50 and the other 4 courts were high school 84 X 50?

If not then how about running the portable floor sideways as the court would be 50 feet plus an additional 5 feet on each side. That would leave about 40 feet, 20 feet on each side for comfortable seats and put bleachers on each end line, would that work?
bcbc55

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 pm

I was there before the Hockey program started so that would explain at least partially why basketball was
more popular prior to the Hockey program starting at UMAINE. Playing at the PITT, I just looked at it as the Brick
PITT. If they were serious they would either renovate the PITT (if they even can now) and open up more space.
Those concrete benches were a bit of a disaster as I recall. But the fans were right on top of you during games
which is what Maine basketball needs to get back to. Of course winning basketball would probably cure a lot of
the issues associated with UMAINE basketball.

It really is too bad that the basketball program has come to this because basketball is such a popular sport
in Maine.

If not I agree it would make more sense to have a larger arena for the Basketball program, but I thought that
was what Alfond arena was all about as well.
basketball_guy

Postby fromthebench » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm

According to Blue Wave, Terion Moss, Portland and Nolan Haggarty 6'6" forward, Yarmouth visited UMaine this week. Two Mainers, that would shut us all up wouldn't it? :)
fromthebench

Postby Carl Parker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Do not know much about Nolan Haggerty but I believe Terion would be very successful in America East. Terion plays a lot like Akeem Williams from Lowell who had great success when Lowell moved to D-1. Both play for Blue Wave who has done an excellent job helping to cultivate players and preparing them to be successful in college. Wish both luck and go Maine.
Carl Parker

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics