Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Linguist wrote:Let's put this train back on track for a bit.

I like the ESPN3 deal the University has (no knowledge of the financials just like the idea of having all games online in an easy to find and use platform).

The website is rough at best. It is not user friendly, you can't easily find scores and results, nothing is updated in a timely manner. That needs to be fixed to improve the fan experience. If I can't get details from your website how long do I click around to find things.

I will commend the social media though, the twitter accounts and facebook pages of the teams and the department provide great links and content. I normally seek out information via Twitter rather than heading to the website.

The number one thing that was an issue when I was a student at UMaine and now as an adult taking my kids to the games (especially on campus) is the ushers wearing the yellow coats. I actually saw them tell people to be quiet so they wouldn't disturb other fans. I am sure they are volunteers (what with Kiwanis on their jackets and all), but they need to be nicer, more helpful, friendlier, allow people to be involved in the game as a fan, and be better to be around. They are normally old and ornery not very good ambassadors of the program.

The beach night at the Cross Center always seems like a hit with the students and the fans. More "themed" nights like that would be great. Think Dance Party night, lights lowered and a disco ball in every team and media timeout with music and dancing (and please don't listen to MaineJeff who complains about the music choices, we don't need Waylon Jennings and Perry Como over the loud speaker, music from this decade is still okay).

Barron doing his post game talk on the PA System to the crowd is great, and the Electric Slide after home WBB wins is a wonderful way to get kids involved and interacting with the players. More immediate interaction for the fans is better. People have their smart phones in hand and want instant gratification, give that to them from the coach as the game ends, let them be on the floor or field or ice to celebrate with the team. (Basically encourage storming the court, but in a safe and humane manner).

Everyone wants to feel a part of the team, the community, the university, the program. The fans want to feel as though they matter instead of feeling like they are an inconvenience, that would make the fan experience better.

Linquist: Nice to see you back on MBR.

Good interesting post.

The ESPN3 is an America East Contract for all 9 teams, which costs about 10 dollars a month which is a good deal. I watched all of the home men's and women's games on it.

Some technical problems, but I use two computers. One to watch the game and one for the up-to-date stats of the game.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Linguist wrote:Let's put this train back on track for a bit..
Wow, how sweet would that be !!??
And respectful of John D.'s outreach effort here that he's prolly re-thinkin' ??

bcbc55 wrote: Linquist: Nice to see you back on MBR. Good interesting post.

The ESPN3 is an America East Contract for all 9 teams, which costs about 10 dollars a month which is a good deal. I watched all of the home men's and women's games on it.

Some technical problems, but I use two computers. One to watch the game and one for the up-to-date stats of the game.
Nice to know about your home computer issues Bob, but how about your suggestions specific to this request for ...
"Improving the fan experience for 2017-18 ???

OMG ... What Have I Just Done ????? Asked Bob to post (less than 10 paragraphs would be nice, but prolly unrealistic).
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
Linguist wrote:Let's put this train back on track for a bit..
Wow, how sweet would that be !!??
And respectful of John D.'s outreach effort here that he's prolly re-thinkin' ??

bcbc55 wrote: Linquist: Nice to see you back on MBR. Good interesting post.

Nice to know about your home computer issues Bob, but how about your suggestions specific to this request for ...
"Improving the fan experience for 2017-18 ???

OMG ... What Have I Just Done ????? Asked Bob to post (less than 10 paragraphs would be nice, but prolly unrealistic).

TAL1957: Come on TAL I did post a couple of suggestions,
for "IMPROVING THE FAN EXPERIENCE FOR 2017-18.

1. No alcohol at any events
2. WINNING
3. If can't win with non-Mainers then it would be better to lose with Maine kids as they would draw better and get better support

New one:
Have men's and women's basketball teams play America East home and away double headers weekdays 5:00pm and 7:00pm one admission charge or same day single games on weekends 3:00pm clear hall and 7:00pm separate admission charges. Would save money on transportation and CIC Rentals. Cut those expenses in half.
bcbc55

Postby parquetfloor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:32 pm

bcbc55 wrote:New one:
Have men's and women's basketball teams play America East home and away double headers weekdays 5:00pm and 7:00pm one admission charge or same day single games on weekends 3:00pm clear hall and 7:00pm separate admission charges. Would save money on transportation and CIC Rentals. Cut those expenses in half.

Maine has absolutely nothing to do with the conference schedule. That comes directly from the AE offices so if you want that changed, you would have to go through the league. I'm sure a league school could bring it up for discussion at the league office but I don't think it would get much traction. I believe most schools like the programs to have their own night, own identity.
parquetfloor

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:33 pm

bcbc55 wrote:[[/b][/size]

TAL1957: Come on TAL I did post a couple of suggestions,
for "IMPROVING THE FAN EXPERIENCE FOR 2017-18.

1. No alcohol at any events
2. WINNING
3. If can't win with non-Mainers then it would be better to lose with Maine kids as they would draw better and get better support

New one:
Have men's and women's basketball teams play America East home and away double headers weekdays 5:00pm and 7:00pm one admission charge or same day single games on weekends 3:00pm clear hall and 7:00pm separate admission charges. Would save money on transportation and CIC Rentals. Cut those expenses in half.[/quote]

Now that's a NICE Response Coach !!
I'll give ya your opinion on the whole alcohol thing, But the simple and obvious fact is that beer sales at sporting events is a great money-raiser and fine with almost everybody but ... ??? "Winning" is a "duh" ! And YOUR whole Maine kids things is really, Really, REALLY old and Dead ! But, ya got your opinions. :D
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm

parquetfloor wrote:

Maine has absolutely nothing to do with the conference schedule. That comes directly from the AE offices so if you want that changed, you would have to go through the league. I'm sure a league school could bring it up for discussion at the league office but I don't think it would get much traction. I believe most schools like the programs to have their own night, own identity.

PF: I understand that it is a Conference thing, but Maine could at least to bring it up.

When you could cut the rentals and travel costs in half in today's economy it at least deserves a look and Maine bringing it up because they are the furthest trip for the other 8 AE Teams and for Maine vs. the other 8.

UMaine could schedule non-conference home games that way and the opponents would not have to be the same for the men and women.

Schedule these games on Weekends so you could separate the games and have two sessions and charge for each one.

Game times 3:00pm and 7:00pm.

Just a thought.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 am

University of Maine athletics probes Bangor for season ticket-holders

When you drive around Bangor, you see them posted in various locations.

They are the size of the small political posters but these signs are urging people to consider buying season memberships (tickets) to University of Maine football and men’s ice hockey games.

The idea belongs to John Diamond, the university’s assistant athletic director for marketing, promotions and ticketing.

“I came up with the idea slightly before political season last fall,” explained Diamond. “We put out football gameday signs before a few of our home games

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/22/s ... t-holders/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:04 am

Summer college baseball teams, as well as the U-Albany, have been doing this for many years now. A Great Move for the UMaine to do this, as long as they remember to pick up the signs afterwards. Nice job Mr. Diamond !
TAL1957

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 am

Karlton Creech Retweeted
IMG Learfield‏ @IMG_Learfield
Another fantastic school has joined the #IMGLfamily! Welcome, @BlackBearNation!
https://t.co/bozJ6GNniQ
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:59 am

bcbc55 wrote:
parquetfloor wrote:

PF: I understand that it is a Conference thing, but Maine could at least to bring it up.

When you could cut the rentals and travel costs in half in today's economy it at least deserves a look and Maine bringing it up because they are the furthest trip for the other 8 AE Teams and for Maine vs. the other 8.

UMaine could schedule non-conference home games that way and the opponents would not have to be the same for the men and women.

Schedule these games on Weekends so you could separate the games and have two sessions and charge for each one.

Game times 3:00pm and 7:00pm.

Just a thought.

It has been brought up & discussed many times over the history of the conference.
parquetfloor

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics