Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 pm

fafan wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
driveandive wrote:It would be better for me (and my Father) personally to have football games at night (Sundays would be best but that's not going to happen). My highest priority on fall Saturdays is hunting, and most of us hunters are football fans. Even a 4PM game is too early.

driveanddive: What about a 6:00pm start on Saturdays?

I don't care what time they start as I can/could not get interested in a game that only has the ball in play 1/4 of the game time and whose ball when it hits the field's surface you have no idea which direction the ball is going to bounce.

All this crap about tailgating and alcohol and you don't even like football, go figure :o :o :o

fafan: Wow. So my opinion is just crap? Just because I disagree with you here on MBR about tailgating and alcohol at Football games.

I have to be positive on the subject even though I don't care that much for football?

So Improving the fan experience for 2017-18 was just limited to football was it?

After just reviewing John's initial post definitely shows he was talking about Maine athletics overall not just football.

Just happens to be more football fans on this MBR thread who favor alcohol sales that's all.

Other that football and hockey what other UMaine sports have alcohol available for sale at their events?

Basketball at the CIC possibly???????????????????????

I could see where it could possibly be a possible help to get through a men's basketball home game the past 16-75 3 years.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Night games, I've been told, require an additional night in the hotel for the visiting team, in which the University needs to cover in the guarantee. I'm not sure the increase in attendance for night games (which appears to be negligible over the past ten years) makes up the cost of having the visitors spend an extra night. That, television, and hockey really dictates start times. Homecoming won't be any later than 3:30, and there's home hockey on 10/28 and 11/18 (noon or 12:30), so the only shot for this year is the Bryant game on 9/9.

Delaware in Portland is not a home game.
dunbar

Postby fafan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:15 am

dunbar wrote:Night games, I've been told, require an additional night in the hotel for the visiting team, in which the University needs to cover in the guarantee. I'm not sure the increase in attendance for night games (which appears to be negligible over the past ten years) makes up the cost of having the visitors spend an extra night. That, television, and hockey really dictates start times. Homecoming won't be any later than 3:30, and there's home hockey on 10/28 and 11/18 (noon or 12:30), so the only shot for this year is the Bryant game on 9/9.

Why is this not a home game? It is included as one of the tix as a season ticket holder, without this as a home game then Maine only has 4 home games???
fafan

Postby dunbar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 am

fafan wrote:
dunbar wrote:Night games, I've been told, require an additional night in the hotel for the visiting team, in which the University needs to cover in the guarantee. I'm not sure the increase in attendance for night games (which appears to be negligible over the past ten years) makes up the cost of having the visitors spend an extra night. That, television, and hockey really dictates start times. Homecoming won't be any later than 3:30, and there's home hockey on 10/28 and 11/18 (noon or 12:30), so the only shot for this year is the Bryant game on 9/9.

Why is this not a home game? It is included as one of the tix as a season ticket holder, without this as a home game then Maine only has 4 home games???

Home = Orono ➡️ Orono ≠ Portland ➡️ Home ≠ Portland

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but if there's travel expenses for the team associated with the game, it's not a home game.
dunbar

Postby augie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 am

bcbc55 wrote:
I could see where it could possibly be a possible help to get through a men's basketball home game the past 16-75 3 years.

Truer words have never been spoken regarding the use of alcohol and UMaine Men's Basketball!
augie

Postby fafan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 am

dunbar wrote:
fafan wrote:

Home = Orono ➡️ Orono ≠ Portland ➡️ Home ≠ Portland

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but if there's travel expenses for the team associated with the game, it's not a home game.

Ok, this is a Dunbar definition of a Home game :lol: :lol: :lol:
fafan

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 pm

dunbar wrote: Delaware in Portland is not a home game.

dunbar wrote:Home = Orono ➡️ Orono ≠ Portland ➡️ Home ≠ Portland

Guess this means we are lucky indeed then, as many college teams apparently don't play ANY home games becuz of those pesky bus rides to their stadiums/arenas (incl. UMaine MBB and WBB !) !!! :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :cry: :lol:
TAL1957

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
dunbar wrote: Delaware in Portland is not a home game.

dunbar wrote:Home = Orono ➡️ Orono ≠ Portland ➡️ Home ≠ Portland

Guess this means we are lucky indeed then, as many college teams apparently don't play ANY home games becuz of those pesky bus rides to their stadiums/arenas (incl. UMaine MBB and WBB !) !!! :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :cry: :lol:

TAL1957: As far as BASKETBALL practice time at CIC dunbar is correct. They don't get the practice time at the CIC then they did at the old Bangor Auditorium. They practice more at the "PIT" then they do at the CIC.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 am

Let's put this train back on track for a bit.

I like the ESPN3 deal the University has (no knowledge of the financials just like the idea of having all games online in an easy to find and use platform).

The website is rough at best. It is not user friendly, you can't easily find scores and results, nothing is updated in a timely manner. That needs to be fixed to improve the fan experience. If I can't get details from your website how long do I click around to find things.

I will commend the social media though, the twitter accounts and facebook pages of the teams and the department provide great links and content. I normally seek out information via Twitter rather than heading to the website.

The number one thing that was an issue when I was a student at UMaine and now as an adult taking my kids to the games (especially on campus) is the ushers wearing the yellow coats. I actually saw them tell people to be quiet so they wouldn't disturb other fans. I am sure they are volunteers (what with Kiwanis on their jackets and all), but they need to be nicer, more helpful, friendlier, allow people to be involved in the game as a fan, and be better to be around. They are normally old and ornery not very good ambassadors of the program.

The beach night at the Cross Center always seems like a hit with the students and the fans. More "themed" nights like that would be great. Think Dance Party night, lights lowered and a disco ball in every team and media timeout with music and dancing (and please don't listen to MaineJeff who complains about the music choices, we don't need Waylon Jennings and Perry Como over the loud speaker, music from this decade is still okay).

Barron doing his post game talk on the PA System to the crowd is great, and the Electric Slide after home WBB wins is a wonderful way to get kids involved and interacting with the players. More immediate interaction for the fans is better. People have their smart phones in hand and want instant gratification, give that to them from the coach as the game ends, let them be on the floor or field or ice to celebrate with the team. (Basically encourage storming the court, but in a safe and humane manner).

Everyone wants to feel a part of the team, the community, the university, the program. The fans want to feel as though they matter instead of feeling like they are an inconvenience, that would make the fan experience better.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey Linguist...I didn't ask for "Waylon Jennings" or "Perry Como"...just radio friendly music (pick your genre) at an ear friendly decibel. Instead we get hardcore rap or heavy metal at ear damaging sound levels...both at Alfond Stadium and the CIC. As a paying fan trying to enjoy an event...I shouldn't have to be subjected to that crap. I don't care what they play at practice or in the locker room.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics