Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby JDiamond » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

On behalf of UMaine Athletics, I would first like to thank all of you for your support of Black Bear Athletics. We strive to make Black Bear Nation proud of the university and the State of Maine in everything we do, and would love your feedback on ways that we can achieve that.

Like many of you, I am a life-long Black Bear fan, and have been lucky enough to become involved in the department in areas including marketing, ticketing, and the fan experience. The past year we implemented a fair number of changes to these areas, including a restructuring of ticket pricing for football and hockey, a new tailgating setup, eliminating parking and tailgating fees, new benefits for Season Members, redesigning the website, and improved video-streaming. While there was a lot of positive feedback on many of these areas, we want to continue to develop new ways to improve the fan experience and grow the fan base.

There are a lot of highlights from the past season that demonstrate the strength of Black Bear Nation. Maine Football had the largest attendance growth in all of FCS football, and the 2nd largest in all of Division 1. The tailgate atmosphere was incredible. Men's Hockey had the largest attendance growth in Hockey East and the largest in the last 10 years of the program. For the third consecutive year, women's basketball lead the America East in attendance. The number of live online viewers of the video streams more than doubled, as did social media engagement. This support is extremely noticeable and important to our student-athletes and the university.

We absolutely understand that winning and representing the university and state positively are important to you all. We want to know what other areas we can focus on that will help improve your experience as a fan and help grow our fan base. We truly appreciate your feedback and support!

Best,
John Diamond
Assistant Athletic Director
Marketing, Promotions, Ticketing
JDiamond

Re: Improving the fan experience for 2017-18

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 pm

WOW !!!!!

What a Great Post and outreach effort !!! This is a Plus-10 for UMaine Athletics !!!

Gonna wanna really, really carefully consider what I might post in response to a great request for input, but can not overstate how Great it was to have somebody come on here and ask for input like this.
Happy, Happy, HAPPY !!!!!
TAL1957

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Move the campus to Portland would be a good start. In Portland you would have a very good fan base that would actually care about the Sports programs. They would be faithful fans that wouldn't rip the programs apart and they would not be screaming for new coaches every year. It would be much easier to recruit better athletes to the Portland area. Just telling it like it is....or should I say like it should be.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby augie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Can't wait for Cim to chime in.
augie

Postby fafan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks John for reaching out to UMaine fans. As a long time season ticket member for football and hockey I was really pleased with the changes to the tailgating experience. Really looking forward to opening nite at Durham and the Fenway game as well. Are there any plans to create a tailgating experience for the Delaware game in Portland?
As far as hockey the only improvement that needs to be done is the performance of the team on the ice and hopefully this is the year it can happen ;)
fafan

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am

John,

Thanks for taking the time to communicate here on MBR ..

I hope some of the guys will stop their beating up on each other and share their opinions on improvement made this past year and add some thoughts for going forward ..

and to all of you snapping AB .. can't you just post your opinions on topic at hand and not look to chase down the rabbit hole ..
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Crunch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 am

John: Thank you for asking. One thing that helps is to make the athletes part of the community. Barron does this with his players. Donating time for charities, et al with photos and publicity showing them doing it. Several of the Big 10 schools do this big time. You can't find a Boy Scout awards program or such event without an athlete or two attending. It creates a demand among the young kids to get their parents to bring them to games. The women basketball players going into the stands before the games is brilliant. The simple term is community outreach. If that stuff goes over in Madison, College Station, East Lansing, etc., it will also go over big here. If I think of something else, I'll post that as well.
Crunch

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:24 pm

augie wrote:Can't wait for Cim to chime in.

augie: WHY? John is a very intelligent, UMaine experienced and knowlegable individual and a great person.

He is a former neighbor and student of mine. only thing he didn't do IS NAME THE LOSING AND LOW ATTENDANCE PROGRAMS

He like some others here on MBR did not have the solutions to these losing programs to at least improve their interest and attendance even if they can't at least reach .500.
bcbc55

Postby augie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
augie wrote:Can't wait for Cim to chime in.

augie: WHY? John is a very intelligent, UMaine experienced and knowlegable individual and a great person.

He is a former neighbor and student of mine. only thing he didn't do IS NAME THE LOSING AND LOW ATTENDANCE PROGRAMS

He like some others here on MBR did not have the solutions to these losing programs to at least improve their interest and attendance even if they can't at least reach .500.

Cim, to chime in on how to improve UMaine's athletics. Not everyone on here thinks your nuts so don't be so defensive.

PS: one of my neighbors is an a-hole and some former students are as well. Not saying John is but what's your point?
augie

Postby waltwhite » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:48 am

JDiamond wrote:Hi Everyone,

On behalf of UMaine Athletics, I would first like to thank all of you for your support of Black Bear Athletics. We strive to make Black Bear Nation proud of the university and the State of Maine in everything we do, and would love your feedback on ways that we can achieve that.

Like many of you, I am a life-long Black Bear fan, and have been lucky enough to become involved in the department in areas including marketing, ticketing, and the fan experience. The past year we implemented a fair number of changes to these areas, including a restructuring of ticket pricing for football and hockey, a new tailgating setup, eliminating parking and tailgating fees, new benefits for Season Members, redesigning the website, and improved video-streaming. While there was a lot of positive feedback on many of these areas, we want to continue to develop new ways to improve the fan experience and grow the fan base.

There are a lot of highlights from the past season that demonstrate the strength of Black Bear Nation. Maine Football had the largest attendance growth in all of FCS football, and the 2nd largest in all of Division 1. The tailgate atmosphere was incredible. Men's Hockey had the largest attendance growth in Hockey East and the largest in the last 10 years of the program. For the third consecutive year, women's basketball lead the America East in attendance. The number of live online viewers of the video streams more than doubled, as did social media engagement. This support is extremely noticeable and important to our student-athletes and the university.

We absolutely understand that winning and representing the university and state positively are important to you all. We want to know what other areas we can focus on that will help improve your experience as a fan and help grow our fan base. We truly appreciate your feedback and support!

Best,
John Diamond
Assistant Athletic Director
Marketing, Promotions, Ticketing

Mr diamond,
Thank you for reaching out. I have a few suggestions:
1) I like the t shirt night with Sigi. Maybe one for every night. Rotate the players. That would be cool
2). A fan coach. I would like you to pick one fan a game to sit on the bench. I would volunteer to be the first. I think it would be fun and I could give good advice
3) change the school colors. Red is the color of champions. This would be a huge break from tradition but studies show that most champs wear red. (Boston Red Sox). We couldn't chant Go blue anymore though ...scratch number 4
4) serve fried dough at the games
5) put names on jerseys. I can never remember the players names or pronounce them. Put the phonetic spelling on the backs that way fans and announcers can pronounce them.

Thank you for reading.
waltwhite

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics