How do the Dakotas do it?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: How do the Dakotas do it?

Postby dunbar » Fri May 26, 2017 10:46 pm

The state university system is so stupid. And enough with this "One University" crap. Further establish Maine as the state university (a la UMass Amherst), and rebrand Southern Maine as the "metropolitan" commuter university (see UMass Boston). The rest of them are glorified community colleges.
dunbar

Postby dunbar » Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 pm

mainejeff wrote:And the smarter & more motivated ones would have plenty of quality private schools in the state to choose from.

Unless they want to be an engineer...
dunbar

Postby thebam » Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 am

bcbc55 wrote:REASONS FOR NOT DRAWING AND OR WINNING FOR UMAINE ATHLETIC TEAMS................................

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION........

Maine is the only original 48 state that is attached to only ONE OTHER STATE......NEW HAMPSHIRE to the WEST.

Canada and New Brunswick to the NORTH, New Brunswick and the Atlantic Ocean to the EAST and the Atlantic Ocean to the SOUTH

Of the 351 D-1 colleges, isn't UMAINE the D-1 college that is the farthest north and farthest east?

Weather is tough for late football, early baseball practices and games and, of course the tough winters for winter sports teams travel and attendances.

Travel distance and winter weather is a problem for Maine and opponents.

Tough and very hard for out-of-state coaches who are trying to use UMaine as a career stepping stone to recruit successfully out-of-state quality athletes to compete very successful in their conferences/leagues.

In fact, currently one of the UMaine sports teams has been used as prep school or JUCO as they have had 11 transfers the past 2 years with rosters that have just 13 scholarships each year.

As already posted the thing that would make this go would be having a domed stadium in Portland.

With around 80 percent of Maine's population in the greater Portland area and Portland south Football would draw and baseball at Hadlock also and basketball at the Expo.

IF MAINE WAS IN PORTLAND IT WOULD ELIMINATE Many of the location problems of being located ORONO.

However, agree certainly not enough population base to support the same 3 sports in the greater BANGOR/ORONO area.

SO LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION Creates major problems of scheduling, travel, recruiting, step-up career AD and coaching positions, little Maine connection in hiring coaches or recruiting Maine kids, conference ranking in 20's of 32 D-1 conferences for most UMaine sports teams, athletes transferring and finally the weather.

So when Maine was going to College World Series' in baseball, and hockey was winning National Titles , and Football was playing the FCS ( 1AA) playoffs, and being ranked in the Top 10, was the campus in a different " location" ?? Get out of here with that nonsense. If the teams at Maine are winning regularly, people will come and support for the programs will spike. No matter where the campus is.
thebam

Postby thebam » Sat May 27, 2017 8:08 am

basketball_guy wrote:Not sure Orono could support it because it is not near a major population Center.

I thought you were in hibernation. If you draw a circle around UMaine and go say 60 miles out , the population will rival that of Fargo ND's drawing area for NDSU. I have friends in Southwest Harbor that will travel to Maine for sporting events. That's 60 miles away, so I didn't just pick a random number.

I will go on record as saying this, 3 things, ..
1. Domed Stadium
2. Winning team ( #1 will help)
3. Home games played at 6pm (would need to grease some palms at conference HQ probably) this would allow the hunting crowd to get home and get to the games.
4. Games at or close to capacity for every game.

This is the NDSU model ( minus the night games) .
thebam

Postby mainejeff » Sat May 27, 2017 8:10 am

No one is coming to a National Park in the North Woods either. They should just log it all and let the mills do their thing.....oh yeah......there are no more mills. :oops: :oops: :oops: Well at least there is good signing so people know how to get to the park......oh yeah.....Governor LePuke won't allow them to erect signage because he's a vindictive little b*tch.

I'll say one thing about the State of Maine.....this has to be the most negative state in the entire country. It's effin pathetic....and it's exhausting. No wonder so many young people want to get the f*ck out of here. Maybe things will get better when the old farts start dying off in greater numbers. :|

With friends like these.....I think I'll go back to the UNH & Delaware boards where they actually discuss sports and have a more positive view of Black Bear athletics.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :o

Now back to your regularly scheduled UMaine bashing thread.....on the MBR UMaine board..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
mainejeff

Postby Yikes » Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am

I'll say one thing about the State of Maine.....this has to be the most negative state in the entire country. It's effin pathetic....and it's exhausting.

Pot, meet kettle.
Yikes

Postby bcbc55 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:36 pm

thebam wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:REASONS FOR NOT DRAWING AND OR WINNING FOR UMAINE ATHLETIC TEAMS................................

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION........

Maine is the only original 48 state that is attached to only ONE OTHER STATE......NEW HAMPSHIRE to the WEST.

Canada and New Brunswick to the NORTH, New Brunswick and the Atlantic Ocean to the EAST and the Atlantic Ocean to the SOUTH

Of the 351 D-1 colleges, isn't UMAINE the D-1 college that is the farthest north and farthest east?

Weather is tough for late football, early baseball practices and games and, of course the tough winters for winter sports teams travel and attendances.

Travel distance and winter weather is a problem for Maine and opponents.

Tough and very hard for out-of-state coaches who are trying to use UMaine as a career stepping stone to recruit successfully out-of-state quality athletes to compete very successful in their conferences/leagues.

In fact, currently one of the UMaine sports teams has been used as prep school or JUCO as they have had 11 transfers the past 2 years with rosters that have just 13 scholarships each year.

As already posted the thing that would make this go would be having a domed stadium in Portland.

With around 80 percent of Maine's population in the greater Portland area and Portland south Football would draw and baseball at Hadlock also and basketball at the Expo.

IF MAINE WAS IN PORTLAND IT WOULD ELIMINATE Many of the location problems of being located ORONO.

However, agree certainly not enough population base to support the same 3 sports in the greater BANGOR/ORONO area.

SO LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION Creates major problems of scheduling, travel, recruiting, step-up career AD and coaching positions, little Maine connection in hiring coaches or recruiting Maine kids, conference ranking in 20's of 32 D-1 conferences for most UMaine sports teams, athletes transferring and finally the weather.

So when Maine was going to College World Series' in baseball, and hockey was winning National Titles , and Football was playing the FCS ( 1AA) playoffs, and being ranked in the Top 10, was the campus in a different " location" ?? Get out of here with that nonsense. If the teams at Maine are winning regularly, people will come and support for the programs will spike. No matter where the campus is.

Sorry Bam but not in today's economy and unless Maine is still not the oldest state percentage population wise and unless they are winning with Maine coaches and Maine kids and even if that ever happened unless the economy and makeup of the older population is reduced, winning will improve attendance some, but not like it was in the past when Maine was successful.

The most successful UMAINE athletic program the last 3 years has been the women's basketball program with an adoptive Mainer as their best player have lead the America L'east Conference in home attendance but it wasn't even 1400 per game and that is getting to the conference tourney finals the past two seasons and a half of the past year was with a Mainer as the head coach and their best player who has been a 3 time lst team selection played a year at Stearns HS of Millinocket the adoptive Mainer in popularity.

With all of that they still only outdrew the Men's 6-25 and one and one tourney hoop team for home games by around 500-600 fans this past year.

My theory may be nonsense to you, but I'm like state of MISSOURI, THE SHOW ME STATE....SHOW ME.

By the way add 440 miles and add your 60 miles for 500 miles most would be in Canada, New Brunswick, Atlantic Ocean or the woods. Great location for UMaine athletics today, winning or not winning with or without Maine born HS/COLLEGE coaches or Maine HS players.

Would rather lose with Mainers and keep the salaries and scholarship money here in Maine.

Just my nonsense opinion again though.
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Sat May 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Yikes wrote:
I'll say one thing about the State of Maine.....this has to be the most negative state in the entire country. It's effin pathetic....and it's exhausting.

Pot, meet kettle.

Hi Kettle!
mainejeff

Postby parquetfloor » Tue May 30, 2017 2:10 pm

bcbc55 wrote:By the way add 440 miles and add your 60 miles for 500 miles most would be in Canada, New Brunswick, Atlantic Ocean or the woods.

You do realize that New York City is 453 miles from Orono right? So, in between those 2 spots are such places as Boston, Providence, Hartford, etc. There are literally tens of millions of people within a 500 mile radius of Orono, ME.

And yes, heading west would be a lot of Canada, but within 500 miles you would find the capital of Canada (Ottawa) as well as other places like Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke...Burlington, VT...Manchester, NH...Nashua, NH...Albany, NY...Springfield, MA, etc. Again, some pretty big population centers
parquetfloor

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics