How do the Dakotas do it?

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

How do the Dakotas do it?

Postby sewey76 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm probably naive but can someone explain how the North and South Dakota support their football programs? I mean Maine has almost as much population as North and South Dakota combined. And yet North Dakota has two state universities that are larger than UMaine. South Dakota is likewise. North Dakota and NDSU both play in domed stadiums. University of SD also plays in a dome. SDSU doesn't play in a dome but they have a brand new 19,000 seat outdoor stadium. Maine is lucky if they can draw 6,000 for a game. What are the Dakotas doing that Maine can't do?
sewey76

Re: How do the Dakotas do it?

Postby rasputin » Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 am

I would say its more of a culture thing than what the school is doing. I spent time working in Minnesota and the people only have interest in 3 things. Football, hunting, and fishing. That is there life. Nothing else to do. Look at Green Bay. Middle of nowhere frozen tundra and they can still pack a stadium. The population center of Maine has multiple D1 collage campuses within a 3 hour drive not to mention a more diverse choice of things to do and a higher percentage of people that have other interest.
rasputin

Postby Crunch » Fri May 26, 2017 10:36 am

Winning is in these schools' culture. Winning breeds more winning. Settling for 2nd or 3rd now and then and being happy with those results does not breed a winning culture. When Maine hockey was winning, it was easy to recruit and easy to fill the stands with loud crowds. It's an attitude that starts at the top and permeates the whole school and its followers. As a transplant, I noticed this at my very first game. Maine fans are the quietest fans I've ever heard. This is not an indictment; it is an observation. If the fans can't get excited, it's hard to create passion on the fields or courts. It all goes together. Another observation - I don't know this but I'll bet the Dakota fans could care less where their players come from. If UMaine doesn't sign some Maine kid that's got an outside chance of making a D3 squad, a great percentage of MBR readers go nuts. That's not a winning attitude. Aim for excellence, not mediocrity and Maine, too, can create the same type of results that the Dakotas enjoy. BTW, it took awhile for that to get going there, also.
Crunch

Postby mario_spaghettio » Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 am

They don't make excuses like the hayseeds in Orono. Coaches need to win or get fired, period.
mario_spaghettio

Postby fafan » Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 pm

rasputin wrote:I would say its more of a culture thing than what the school is doing. I spent time working in Minnesota and the people only have interest in 3 things. Football, hunting, and fishing. That is there life. Nothing else to do. Look at Green Bay. Middle of nowhere frozen tundra and they can still pack a stadium. The population center of Maine has multiple D1 collage campuses within a 3 hour drive not to mention a more diverse choice of things to do and a higher percentage of people that have other interest.

And I thought Minnesota was a hockey state :shock:
fafan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri May 26, 2017 2:48 pm

You really answered your own Question. They both have domed stadiums. People can sit in the stands in a comfortable warm atmosphere even when it is 10 degrees outside.

I would say if Maine had a domed stadium down near Portland you will see that Stadium filled for every game.
Not sure Orono could support it because it is not near a major population Center.
basketball_guy

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

People in Maine like to talk about stuff....people in the Dakotas like to do stuff.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm

REASONS FOR NOT DRAWING AND OR WINNING FOR UMAINE ATHLETIC TEAMS................................

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION........

Maine is the only original 48 state that is attached to only ONE OTHER STATE......NEW HAMPSHIRE to the WEST.

Canada and New Brunswick to the NORTH, New Brunswick and the Atlantic Ocean to the EAST and the Atlantic Ocean to the SOUTH

Of the 351 D-1 colleges, isn't UMAINE the D-1 college that is the farthest north and farthest east?

Weather is tough for late football, early baseball practices and games and, of course the tough winters for winter sports teams travel and attendances.

Travel distance and winter weather is a problem for Maine and opponents.

Tough and very hard for out-of-state coaches who are trying to use UMaine as a career stepping stone to recruit successfully out-of-state quality athletes to compete very successful in their conferences/leagues.

In fact, currently one of the UMaine sports teams has been used as prep school or JUCO as they have had 11 transfers the past 2 years with rosters that have just 13 scholarships each year.

As already posted the thing that would make this go would be having a domed stadium in Portland.

With around 80 percent of Maine's population in the greater Portland area and Portland south Football would draw and baseball at Hadlock also and basketball at the Expo.

IF MAINE WAS IN PORTLAND IT WOULD ELIMINATE Many of the location problems of being located ORONO.

However, agree certainly not enough population base to support the same 3 sports in the greater BANGOR/ORONO area.

SO LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION Creates major problems of scheduling, travel, recruiting, step-up career AD and coaching positions, little Maine connection in hiring coaches or recruiting Maine kids, conference ranking in 20's of 32 D-1 conferences for most UMaine sports teams, athletes transferring and finally the weather.
bcbc55

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri May 26, 2017 8:37 pm

bcbc55 wrote:REASONS FOR NOT DRAWING AND OR WINNING FOR UMAINE ATHLETIC TEAMS................................

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION........

Maine is the only original 48 state that is attached to only ONE OTHER STATE......NEW HAMPSHIRE to the WEST.

Canada and New Brunswick to the NORTH, New Brunswick and the Atlantic Ocean to the EAST and the Atlantic Ocean to the SOUTH

Of the 351 D-1 colleges, isn't UMAINE the D-1 college that is the farthest north and farthest east?

Weather is tough for late football, early baseball practices and games and, of course the tough winters for winter sports teams travel and attendances.

Travel distance and winter weather is a problem for Maine and opponents.

Tough and very hard for out-of-state coaches who are trying to use UMaine as a career stepping stone to recruit successfully out-of-state quality athletes to compete very successful in their conferences/leagues.

In fact, currently one of the UMaine sports teams has been used as prep school or JUCO as they have had 11 transfers the past 2 years with rosters that have just 13 scholarships each year.

As already posted the thing that would make this go would be having a domed stadium in Portland.

With around 80 percent of Maine's population in the greater Portland area and Portland south Football would draw and baseball at Hadlock also and basketball at the Expo.

IF MAINE WAS IN PORTLAND IT WOULD ELIMINATE Many of the location problems of being located ORONO.

However, agree certainly not enough population base to support the same 3 sports in the greater BANGOR/ORONO area.

SO LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION Creates major problems of scheduling, travel, recruiting, step-up career AD and coaching positions, little Maine connection in hiring coaches or recruiting Maine kids, conference ranking in 20's of 32 D-1 conferences for most UMaine sports teams, athletes transferring and finally the weather.

Excellent post Cimmie. Right on the money! And to many UMO fans like to blame the coaches.
Location is the biggest issue.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 pm

They should just fold the entire athletic program & school then because the location ain't changin'.

Actually getting rid of the State University System isn't a bad idea.....most Mainers should be going to community colleges anyway. And the smarter & more motivated ones would have plenty of quality private schools in the state to choose from.
mainejeff

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics