Catching’s not easy, but it looks that way to these guys

post info & talk all things baseball...

Postby GOOSIE » Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 am

I try to follow and actually see as many teams as time permits and am very interested in the catchers. Cam King of Portland is fearless, sure handed, has a quick pop-time, strong and accurate arm......and he is starting to hit and I must repeat, fearless.
GOOSIE

Re: Catchers

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 am

here's a story Goosie on Bangor's Derek Fournier

Bangor catcher finding baseball groove after winning national title in hockey

...“Derek obviously loves hockey and we’re proud of him and what he’s done there, but he’s also a special baseball player,” said Bangor baseball coach Dave Morris. “The pitchers love throwing to him, he calls a great game and he’s a great teammate.”

Fournier’s offensive breakthrough this spring may have come during a recent victory over Mt. Blue of Farmington when he doubled and singled twice with three RBIs and three runs scored.

“I thought he really squared balls up and hit them really hard,” said Morris of Fournier’s outburst against the Cougars. “His first at-bat he had a hard-hit ball in the gap and he came back the next time and kind of had the same thing when he hit the ball over the (left fielder’s) head.

http://extrabases.bangordailynews.com/2 ... in-hockey/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainesportsguru » Fri May 12, 2017 8:16 am

From the south, Tinsman from Cape Elizabeth is a Wake Forest commit. Maxsimic from Brewer is a good athlete. Fournier from Bangor is a very good receiver and has a dangerous bat at the plate. I made the road trips to the Bangor at Hampden and the Brewer at Bangor game and I don't believe I saw anyone attempt to steal on Fournier. The Dexter kid from Messalonskee is also a good athlete.
mainesportsguru

Postby baseballdad16 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Brandon Hall from TA has a cannon for an arm. Saw him throw one from the knees that was better than any other I have seen this year.
baseballdad16

Postby HolidayInn » Fri May 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Baseballdad is correct when it comes to arm strength. Hall has the strongest arm for a catcher in state. Actually, he can probably throw the hardest in state for any position. It would be interesting to know the MPH he throws down to second. Also bats lefty. Don’t remember where, but going DI someplace.
HolidayInn

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:40 am

High school catchers across the state are attracting interest from NCAA Division I schools.

...Three Maine catchers have caught the attention of NCAA Division I scouts: Brendan Tinsman, a junior at Cape Elizabeth, has verbally committed to play at Wake Forest; Jackson Coutts, a senior at Orono and a 2016 Maine Sunday Telegram All-State selection, received a scholarship from Rhode Island; and Brandon Hall, a senior at Thornton Academy, will play at Wagner University.

They head a strong group of catchers that includes junior Michael Wrigley of Wells, senior Nick Turcotte of Erskine Academy, junior Colby Wagner of Freeport, junior Titus Kaewthong of Oceanside and senior Dylan Fried of Greely.

Tinsman wears Varitek’s uniform number, 33, though he favors San Francisco’s Buster Posey. But others point to Varitek as a reason why they are catching.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/05/c ... hese-guys/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Catching’s not easy, but it looks that way to these guys

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:24 am

Brewer’s star catcher weighing baseball, education options

...It’s both the success he’s enjoyed on the diamond and the joy of being part of a team — Maxsimic is playing American Legion baseball for the Brewer Falcons this summer — that make his pending educational decision even more difficult.

“The four years went by in a split second,” said Maxsimic. “I wish I could have taken advantage of it more when I was younger. Back then I probably would have said I was working hard, but if I could tell any freshman or sophomore now I would tell them to take advantage of the opportunity and work as much as you can on it.

“Now it’s just whether you want to go to your career now or later, and I just don’t want any regrets. I don’t want to look back and think, ‘Geez, I really should have taken advantage of this, I wish I could go back.’ That’s my worst nightmare.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/27/s ... n-options/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Baseball: Maine High School & Amateur