Ranking Maine's 2018 Class - After 1st April Live Period

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Ranking Maine's 2018 Class - After 1st April Live Period

Postby HoopScoop2009 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

The first weekend of the April Live Period has come and gone and it got me thinking, how would MBRers rank the 2018 class? Lots of guys out there, playing with quite a few different programs (Blue Wave Elite, Black Bear North, Next Level, NH Spartans, etc.). If you had to rank the Top 10, what's your list look like? Who, if any among the group, do you see having scholarship potential? I've included Mittlestadt who reclassified when we transferred to Gould Academy. Haven't included McDevitt, although prep seems to still be an option for him.

1. T. Moss - Portland, Point Guard... best player in the state, good spring and summer should boost his stock, DII to low-DI.
2. T. Schildroth - GSA, Guard... all it takes is one great weekend of shooting to catch the eye of a DII, he could certainly do it.
3. D. Keohan - TA, Forward... similar to Schildroth, one great weekend of scoring and taking guys off the dribble and it's not out of the question that a DII could offer.
4. J. Matthews - Cheverus, Forward... reportedly had an offer last summer, interesting to see what he does this spring/summer.
5. Z. Mittlestadt - Gould, Wing... reportedly had a great season at Gould, potentially a NESCAC kid?
6. I. McIntyre - Hampden, Forward... might have the best interior skill set in the state.
7. N. Hagerty - Yarmouth, Forward... athletic with great size, does a DII take a flyer on the potential?
8. N. Curtis - Windham, Point Guard... high energy, ultra competitive, will be a good pick-up for a DIII.
9. J. Godfrey - Machias, Forward... great size; with good athleticism, skill and a high ceiling; big spring and summer head for this big man!
10. Z. Manoogian - Westbrook, Guard... maybe the best shooter/scorer in the class behind Schildroth, should have plenty of options after a spring/summer sharing the back-court with T. Moss.

Others...
F. Bowe - Cape, Wing... still recovering from HS injury, goofy (in a positive way) lefty has a unique game and solid skill-set.
G. Foley - Portland, Wing... solid wing who can do a bit of everything on the court, all he does is win!
N. Malone - SP, Guard... shooter/scorer, looking to make a jump next year without Bol.
K. Marseille - Hermon, Guard... athletic combo guard is great in the mid-range, has a really good feel for the game.
HoopScoop2009

Re: Ranking Maine's 2018 Class - After 1st April Live Period

Postby fromthebench » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Good list, I've watched Blue Wave and Blackbear North and agree with your assessments. You also mentioned the New Hampshire Spartans. Their grade 11 Elite team has a Maine flavor with Cheverus Jesse Mathews and SoPo's Connor Buckley earning spots. Mathews has been sidelined with a foot injury and is yet to play but Buckley has shown well this spring, starting and leading them to two Championships thus far. I've heard rumors that another top Mainer may be joining them in the near future so look for this team in the results and twitter feeds to keep up on Maine recruiting.
fromthebench

Postby calculator » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Scoop… very accurate list of players. The order could use I little tweaking but overall very good IMO.
I would include both Reilley Hasson from SP and Shane Dewolfe from Greely as top players in this class
for their defense and team first attitude.
Nolan Hagerty from Yarmouth IMO will be the most heavily recruited player in this class after Moss.
calculator

Postby TAallday » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 am

Good list and assessment of where kids might fall in terms of level in college.

Moss is far and away the best player in Maine, because he does it all. The only guys I see having the potential for D-II are...

Moss
Koehan
Schildroth
Matthews

This class is pretty weak in terms of depth of talent. Lots of guys who can and will play D-III, which is great though. Definitely something to aspire too.
TAallday

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:58 am

TAallday wrote:Good list and assessment of where kids might fall in terms of level in college.

Moss is far and away the best player in Maine, because he does it all. The only guys I see having the potential for D-II are...

Moss
Koehan
Schildroth
Matthews

This class is pretty weak in terms of depth of talent. Lots of guys who can and will play D-III, which is great though. Definitely something to aspire too.

Right on the money TA..... I agree 100%.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby TheOneArmMan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am

While Schildroth is a talent, no second guessing that, I think his size and athleticism may hinder looks from the next level. I do not mean to diminish Taylor, as he will likely get many looks from DIII and DII, but I think GSA has another player (Matson) that projects higher at the next level due to his size and athleticism. Unfortunately, Maine touch foul reffing during the tourney run limited his minutes/aggressiveness on both ends of the floor, and many did not get to see what he is capable of... Just my opinion (not worth a whole lot :)).
TheOneArmMan

Postby Miren » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

Z. Manoogian - Westbrook 2A. Great kid, athletic with a deadeye shot, gets after it on both ends of floor he puts the work in I could see a school offering him a scholarship.
Miren

Postby NERR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:58 am

Rankings Primer
New England Recruiting Report

...In there lies sometimes the biggest misconception. We are not ranking, nor have we ever, the best high school or grassroots players, we are ranking the best prospects, which can sometimes be very different. It requires an understanding of the next level, the ways in which the game is different, and what qualities and attributes most often translate. Even at that, it is an inexact science, one in which evaluators are not measured by whether or not they make mistakes, but by the amount of mistakes they make relative to others.

So when rankings begin to be published, please keep in mind that it is about a glimpse into the feature, not a measuring stick of the past.

Please also note that our post-summer rankings will not include incoming prep products if they have not yet played in New England prior to this season. Those players will be added following the fall when we'll again visit various prep schools and attend various events throughout the region.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... s-primer-1
NERR

Postby NERR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:40 am

BBN Basketball‏ @BBN_Maine
Maine 2018 Rankings @NERRHoops BBN's Taylor Schildroth, Jacob Godfrey, Keenan Marseille highlighted.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... =hootsuite

August 18, 2017

Maine 2018 Rankings Announced

Updated 2018 rankings begin in the state of Maine where the vast majority of the state’s top players have given themselves every opportunity to be measured against top competition from New England and beyond this summer.

Gould Academy wing Jahbril Price-Noel has retained his spot as the top prospect in the state after his summer with Expressions. A multi-positional player who stands at 6-foot-7, the Canadian native is really only just beginning to tap into his potential and should have his best basketball very clearly still in front of him. He holds a collection of offers ranging from the Ivy League to the Atlantic 10 and should be capable of adding new schools to that mix as well as he continues to polish his skill set and establish a niche for himself.

After Price-Noel, it becomes very much a local affair. Portland High School’s Terion Moss and George Stevens Academy’s Taylor Schildroth have both had exceptionally decorated high school careers to date and were equally impressive at times this spring and summer for Blue Wave and Black Bear North.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... =hootsuite
NERR

Postby NERR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 am

just released.... overview of NE talent in 2018 and nationally at ESPN 100

Complete New England rankings in the class of 2018
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ss-of-2018

Click here for the national ESPN 100 rankings
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... order/true
NERR

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur