Third Football Spring Saturday workout

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Third Football Spring Saturday workout

Postby BearDownBears » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:46 am

Looking forward to watching some football today. Sucks to not see Reed, Wright, Edwards playing at WR, Kick Returners this spring. I heard all three have had surgery or are returning from surgery. I am looking forward to a great fall and hope this time off makes them hungry for football come August. The scrimmage I think will have the refs today so more of a true game simulation. Go Blackbears! Will share post scrimmage ASAP.
BearDownBears

Re: Third Football Spring Saturday workout

Postby fafan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 am

BDB, looking forward to overview of scrimmage. Curious to hear if Staver throws the ball as well as he did last week. Agree it sucks for WR's to be out now but if QB situation can look somewhat positive now then should be that much better come fall.
GO BLUE!!!
fafan

Postby BearDownBears » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 am

Great Day for the offense....Defense..not so much. Staver nice opening toss to Osumah in the Endzone. That seemed to be the entire day really offense offense offense. Running game was average at best with a few breakout runs by Mack and Fitzgerald. The Defense had a few BIG hits on a few series however the offense was punishing most of the scrimmage. The one's vs one's showed today that the offense can execute and it was nice in my opinion to see the offense give the defense a smack in the face for a change. I am not sure if this is a foreshadowing of fall and hope it is NOT.
A few trick plays with reverse and double reverse that the offensive got yardage on however nothing gross in nature. The CB's held their own on passing plays however the safeties (excluding Scott) were being beat BAD all day long. Matovu is out with an injury and they appear thin at that position but it was not good IMO. The D-Line had good penetration at times both passing and rushing plays but never had big TFL's unless it was related to a miss snap or poor ball handling. I thought that was missing today...D-line penetration with disruption of play AKA Ricard type of plays. frustation in seeing a few (handful) of players that run up and throw themselves at the ball carrier or WR instead of technique tackling... and it hurt them a few times. This big hit mentality rather then fundatmental tackling most get better before it costs in real games next year ..IMO.
Staver is clearly the better QB then Belcher or Ferg at this moment in time. He reacts, reads and throws much more quickly and with confidence ..IMO.
Grades based on performance today
QB's - B+ Staver B+, Ferg B-, Belcher B-
RB's- B mack B, Fitz B-, Beckford B , Davisray out with foot injury
WR's- B- Osumah A, Davis C, Blair B, others B
O-line B+ Loved what they did today...much better group performance overall. yes, few false starts and holding call...
Defense C overall today...no really big leader seen on that side of the ball as of yet. void in player leadership at this time it appears however a few guys 1, 27, seem to be stepping it up from last week.
BearDownBears

Postby fafan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:55 am

Great overview BDB!!!
Nice to see Staver and offense look that good. Of course on the defensive side not so good. Would have thought between Goode, Scott, Sheffield, Hume or Ekwounwo one of them would have stepped as a defensive team leader.
Still time for that to happen.
fafan

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics