UMaine Basketball Arena Choice

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: UMaine Basketball Arena Choice

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

rozzie wrote:If hockey ever turns around, I'd suggest a new on campus arena and convert the Alfond to basketball only. That too, would be a less expensive fix.

That is a terrific and realistic idea. A renovated Alfond could easily seat 3-4K for basketball with great sight lines. You take all of the hockey stuff away and there is plenty of room for offices, locker rooms, training, etc. In addition, I think that a parking structure between Alfond Stadium and Alfond Arena would help to alleviate the parking issue that area of campus has.

A new hockey arena should be built out past the Collins Center....plenty of room for a new arena and parking!
mainejeff

Postby dunbar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 am

mainejeff wrote:I think that a parking structure between Alfond Stadium and Alfond Arena would help to alleviate the parking issue that area of campus has.

That's not the area of campus with the parking problem.

mainejeff wrote:A new hockey arena should be built out past the Collins Center....plenty of room for a new arena and parking!

This is.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Then build more parking lots instead of cow pastures!
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 pm

rozzie wrote:You forget that a study was done a few years ago, with the idea of updating the pit and making it the basketball venue. However, they would have to spend millions to structurally update it and there would have been a seating capacity of 1700 with NO skyboxes. I asked Blake James at the time what would happen if it became a hot ticket and you had spent $12 million dollars on renovating a space to which you could not add seats or revenue generating luxury boxes? His response? Seat licenses. Really.

So, clamour all you you want for The Pit---it is not a space that is or can sustain(with renovations) a D1 program. They need to figure out something else. Unfortunately, Ted Woodward's idea(when he was an assistant to Giannini) was to use the money they were raising at the time for the Student Center, to build a basketball only facility on campus---for $25 million in the late 90's, that could have been done. Then raise money to gut and renovate the Pit/Fieldhouse/Memorial Gymnasium into a student health facility, which would have been cheaper to do inside an existing structure. I thought that was brilliant..............

If hockey ever turns around, I'd suggest a new on campus arena and convert the Alfond to basketball only. That too, would be a less expensive fix.

rozzie: Great A+ idea about A to B=Alfond to Basketball.

Hey, thanks for the reminder of the plans for the expensive renovations of the "PIT", and only seat 1700.

I was talking about using the "PIT" right now without any improvements.

Or how about this as a temporary solution until something can be done financially and physically for basketball (A to B).

Take the current college sized basketball court 94' by 50' (the middle court in the field house) rent bleachers that seat 1000 on each side (courts 2 and 4) of the portable wooden court from the Alfond until A becomes B in the future.

This would not cost too much in renovations and could solve the problems facing the basketball programs currently.

Not being on campus. Not practicing daily on home game court, Not drawing students.

Just a thought.
bcbc55

Previous

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics