UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 pm

mainejeff wrote:Maine has offered 6-8 PF/C Zane McFarland from Forney, TX.

https://mobile.twitter.com/undefined/st ... 1113151488

mj: Thanks for the info.

Does that mean that they have 1 scholarship left or does it mean McFarland is not aware that Antoms accepted today. If that is the case McFarland will have to hope for another transfer.

Offer to McFarland was on April 12th, offer to Antoms was April 7. and Anthoms didn't accept and sign until today, April 20 almost 2 weeks. What does that tell you?

If Melmad has a scholarship then I don't think UMaine has a scholarship left. Unless UMaine knows about releasing another transfer.

More possible moves then a chess match or is it just only checkers?

If they have a schollie left then Bernstein really ...ELEVATOR, ELEVATOR HE GOT THE SHAFT!

At least they offered another BIG. Wonder which one UMaine staff preferred. Antoms or McFarland?

By the way, anybody heard where Bernstein is going?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

This could be a good get for Maine....played on a good AAU team from the Dallas area with a talented group.
aechamps

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 pm

aechamps wrote:This could be a good get for Maine....played on a good AAU team from the Dallas area with a talented group.

aechamps: Does Maine have a scholarship left after signing Antoms or is McFarland going to have to go elsewhere or hope for a UMaine transfer out?

After seeing Antoms on video, if McFarland is better than him then I cannot understand how both of them are still left on the recruiting trails this late in the recruiting season.

Especially, Antoms as he has that extra year of prep after HS. Antoms averaged 18.1 ppg and 8 rebounds per game for Lee Preppers.
bcbc55

Postby aechamps » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 am

They just offered him within the last 12 hrs and he supposed to be visiting this weekend it sounds like. Don't get to stressed out if we have a scholarship or not...we have no idea who's coming back or what they have available. If the coaching staff has offered its for a reason.
aechamps

Postby Linguist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 am

Bob,

With as many players as you had through John Bapst who played in college at D1, D2, D3, I thought you would know how this recruiting game worked.

Just because a school offers a scholarship doesn't mean the kid is going to sign immediately, or at all.

Just because a school doesn't (or may not) have a scholarship available doesn't mean they won't offer one to a player in high school, JuCo, Prep School that they want if they think the incoming player is better than someone on the roster currently on scholarship.

Maybe Garvey Melmed had one last year (I truly don't know), and maybe the staff said this is going to be given to another player in 2017, but we can help you out for a year with this money.

There are no guarantees in college hoops.

I am wondering if McFarland will come to Orono, a little snooping on his Twitter feed indicates he has a girlfriend he "loves", and she is going to Oklahoma State. Stillwater is close to Orono in the state of Maine, but Stillwater, Oklahoma is a long commute from Orono, Maine. That may play no role in his decision and she might transfer to UMaine, who knows, but he's from Texas and was just offered last night, let's let the kid sleep on it.
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

This kid can play. Check out his junior highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXs7RCdfHok

A very versatile post player who has a knack for getting to the hoop but can also hit the outside shot. Great passer, defender and shot blocker and can also handle the ball pretty well. He would be a game changer for this program IMO. If he were in a New England prep school....Maine would have no shot at him. Let's not forget however that Texas is a HUGE state with tons of basketball talent. Herrion at UNH has mined Texas players for years now. I always thought that Maine should do more recruiting in Texas and on the West Coast for student-athltes in various sports. The name brand and location carries much more cache out there than it does in the over-crowded and ultra competitive Northeast.
mainejeff

Postby Linguist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 am

Is it just me or are the UMaine men getting bigger? Is this a change in the recruiting philosophy of the staff and Coach Walsh?

Power Forwards / Centers
Vince Eze - 6'8" (Rsoph)
Miks Antoms - 6'8" (Frosh)

Small Forwards -->
Ilker Er - 6'6" (Senior)
Ilija Stojiljkovic - 6'7" (Senior)
Andrew Fleming - 6'7" (Soph)

Shooting Guards -->
Vernon Lowndes, Jr. - 6'5" (Junior)
Dusan Majstorovic - 6'5" (Junior)
Isaiah White - 6'6" (Sophomore)

Point Guards -->
Danny Evans - 6'4" (Soph)

Add in Zach McFarland as a recruit 6'8", and that is 9 guys 6-4 or taller. Or do we just perceive them as taller because this staff has repeatedly brought in 6'0" guards?

Is this what we can expect going forward now, plus height players at probably 2 or 3 positions on the floor?
Linguist

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 am

Linguist wrote:Is it just me or are the UMaine men getting bigger? Is this a change in the recruiting philosophy of the staff and Coach Walsh?

Power Forwards / Centers
Vince Eze - 6'8" (Rsoph)
Miks Antoms - 6'8" (Frosh)

Small Forwards -->
Ilker Er - 6'6" (Senior)
Ilija Stojiljkovic - 6'7" (Senior)
Andrew Fleming - 6'7" (Soph)

Shooting Guards -->
Vernon Lowndes, Jr. - 6'5" (Junior)
Dusan Majstorovic - 6'5" (Junior)
Isaiah White - 6'6" (Sophomore)

Point Guards -->
Danny Evans - 6'4" (Soph)

Add in Zach McFarland as a recruit 6'8", and that is 9 guys 6-4 or taller. Or do we just perceive them as taller because this staff has repeatedly brought in 6'0" guards?

Is this what we can expect going forward now, plus height players at probably 2 or 3 positions on the floor?

I don't believe that Lowndes has committed to Maine, but yeah I was thinking the same thing......I believe that the recruiting philosophy is changing. If you can't bring in top level talent then you need to try and win games banging, clawing and scratching.....that is the reality right now for UM basketball. Glad that Walsh seems to finally be on board.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 am

James Karnick is off the board, committing to Lehigh.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

aechamps, Lindquist, mainejeff and Blind Zebra:

Thanks for all the concern and helping an old senior basketball citizen understand better the recruiting situation better.

I am not going to match my responses to each of your four posts. So I will answer and respond in general, but you all made excellent points that I agree with.

I was looking through it like I would do it, not how it is actually done and I should know better as I dealt with this type of recruiting when i was coaching in high school but that was 17 years ago.

I know that I have always fr the most part to be a very unorthodox basketball thinker as a high school and college player, high school coach, high school and college official, writer, fan, Radio/TV color commentator and author. So many just take what I say or post or write as a grain of salt. And that is OK. I am not looking for approval, just trying to give back to basketball as it has given me so much over my last 73 years. EVEN IF IT IS UNORTHODOX THINKING.

But you know the recruiting process of the college that is recruiting is number 1 in their mines and the recruits that they are recruiting are number 2. Where the recruit is thinking of himself first and the school second.

Most Colleges still recruit athletes first, basketball players second, students grade potential working to that potential third and 4th what type of human being the recruit is.

I'd recruit just the opposite with what type of character the recruit has first, does the recruit work to his potential in academics second, 3rd what type of basketball player the recruit is and 4 I wouldn't care about their athleticism exhibited by Miks Antoms's basketball skills over his athletic skills.

I realize that schools may over offer recruits when they don't have enough schollies to go around for who they have offered.

As far as Maine goes you are right that Maine knows how many scholarships that they have available. Give out a lot of offers and take who signs first and punch the ones that are too late, "TS CARD" (Tough Situation Card)

As far as Melmad goes, didn't he get Ethan MacKey's scholarship when he left the team 2 years ago for the 2nd semester, but after that no one seems to know if he is still on scholarship or not seeing that scholarships are only good for one year at a time not 4 years like it used to be.

Maine knows about future Maine transfer outs if there are any.

We don't.

Only took current regime 3 years to start really balancing roster by offering BIGS for the UMaine men's program. Desperation can cause a change of being just guard oriented. MAYBE

Big question and BIG IF is when they get them are they going to use them properly and correctly?

What do you guys think will they or wont they use them enough to develop a decent and effective inside-outside game.

Thanks again for your concern, interest and help.
Goldstars for all four of your foreheads from the old, old coach..
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics