UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: MBB: 2017-18 .... Looking ahead:

Postby hoopsisme » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 am

At this rate may want to look in the rec center. Very disappointing. This has been going on for far too long. I simply don't get how the path over far too many years is allowed to continue. I know there are challenges. We don't need 25 players. Only a handful and it can make the team competitive. Obviously the powers to be are OK with this. Just too bad.
hoopsisme

Re: MBB: 2017-18 .... Looking ahead:

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 am

Maine needs to recruit the West Coast....so much talent out there. And they don't have the whiny attitude that Maine is "too far", "too cold" and "nothing to do". When they can go home to the warm West Coast clogged highways of 1000 people per square inch.....Maine seems more like a nice little vacation. ;) And just as a comparison.....a trip from Orono to Boston or NYC is like driving from LA to Monterey or San Jose. ;)
mainejeff

Re: Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Postby AMO12 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Commitment...

@Miks_Antoms 2h2 hours ago
I'm blessed&happy to say that I have decided to commit to University of Maine to further my education and basketball career. #goblackbears
AMO12

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

This is a good signing folks! Antoms is a legit 6'8-6'9 235. He has offensive skill and can throw it down with some authority! He is not the most athletic or fleet of foot, but he is a legit America East post, who can provide much needed size and aggression to the interior!
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:This is a good signing folks! Antoms is a legit 6'8-6'9 235. He has offensive skill and can throw it down with some authority! He is not the most athletic or fleet of foot, but he is a legit America East post, who can provide much needed size and aggression to the interior!

BZ: Now that they signed a legitimate big size wise, is he ready to go after a year of prep?

You seem to rate Antoms ahead of Eze offensively but behind him defensively is that right?

Remembering that Eze was red shirted last year after a year of prep school and Antoms was at Lee Prep so is Eze ahead of him age wise and experience?

This is now the 4th Lee Prepper in 4 years to come to Maine. Calixe, Ilija S., LaSalle transfer Dusan M and now Miks Antom.

If he is as good on the block as you say he is and I have no reason not to believe you based on some of your other very accurate posts on prospective players in the past.

Now comes the other obvious question for UMaine men, will they use him offensively on the block as the past three years have shown not indication to do that as they have been extremely guard oriented?

They really have not developed any post players that got better under this regime. They just got better the more they played. They didn't improve by coaching and development as the staff didn't seem to have enough confidence to go to them on a regular basis to develop an inside outside attack.

Now have 10 guards and 5 front courters, 3 forwards and two centers.

Do they have a scholarship left?

Any more transfers?

What is your opinion BZ? Always trust your judgement

BIGS SiNCE 2014-15
2014-15 6'9" Til Gloger-Junior and 6'8" Ethan MacKey-Soph (left team) both (Woodward's recruits)
2015-16 6'9" Til Gloger-Senior and 6'7" Devine Eke Frosh....red shirt frosh sit out 6'8" Vincent Eze
2016-17 6'8" Vincent Eze-frosh
2017-18 6'8" Vincet Eze Soph and 6'9" Miks Antoms Frosh
bcbc55

Postby mainejeff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:This is a good signing folks! Antoms is a legit 6'8-6'9 235. He has offensive skill and can throw it down with some authority! He is not the most athletic or fleet of foot, but he is a legit America East post, who can provide much needed size and aggression to the interior!

Agreed! He was one of the best players left (of the ones that they offered) that Maine had a shot at. Now the question is....do they have any schollies left? 0? 1?...or ???
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I really like what I've seen from Antoms on video, but it's a small sample. I think he's the type of guy that could thrive in PNR/PNP. He shows good form on his mid range shot and shows strong finishing capability. Will be nice to pair Antoms with Fleming or Eze at the 4. Antoms is more of a power guy, while Fleming and Eze are going to rely more on agility. I want to see how competitive Antoms is defensively and on the boards. Maine could obviously use a lift there. At any rate, Antoms is the first power big Maine has had in the fold since Ali Fraser. Let's hope he can produce like him.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I really like what I've seen from Antoms on video, but it's a small sample. I think he's the type of guy that could thrive in PNR/PNP. He shows good form on his mid range shot and shows strong finishing capability. Will be nice to pair Antoms with Fleming or Eze at the 4. Antoms is more of a power guy, while Fleming and Eze are going to rely more on agility. I want to see how competitive Antoms is defensively and on the boards. Maine could obviously use a lift there. At any rate, Antoms is the first power big Maine has had in the fold since Ali Fraser. Let's hope he can produce like him.

BZ: Thanks for responding again. Hope you are right about Antoms and that he could possibly be an Ali Fraser in the making, although Woodward didn't use him enough inside when he was here and he didn't even finish school here at UMaine.

Went to play Pro ball overseas if remember correctly.

Er 6'6", Eze 6'8", Antoms 6'9", Fleming 6'7, Myers 6'2", Calixe 6'1", Evans 6'5", White 6'5", Dusan M. 6'5" gives you excellent size at all spots if Antoms, White and Dusan M. meet expectations.

But like the guy from Missouri, "the show me state, SHOW ME.

We know what to expect from the other returning 6 players so with the new 3 players into the lineup should make them competitive in AE. Hoping for 8-8 in conference regular season and maybe win a quarter-final tourney game.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am

Maine Keeping Lee Academy’s Antoms in State
Miks Antoms 2017

Lee Academy big man Miks Antoms committed to the University of Maine on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-8 big man came to the United States from Latvia, playing one season at Archbishop Carroll High School in Pennsylvania, before arriving at Lee Academy the fall.

He announced his decision via his twitter account.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... s-in-state
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Maine has offered 6-8 PF/C Zane McFarland from Forney, TX.

https://mobile.twitter.com/undefined/st ... 1113151488
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics